Gampel question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gampel question

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I blame the inadequacy of the psychic holding the seances to resurrect Enzo so he can provide the second, competing bid required by state procurement law. Rumor has it she's a bit of a drunk.

Reaction Score
At this point, I think the school should set about reconstructing, to the extent possible, the features of the original Patoni kiln on campus and starting a program to train students in its use, in the hopes that one or more of them are ultimately able to fabricate suitable replacements.

Better than relying on a bunch of jabronis or his derelict son.

But what if Jabroni is a relative of Patoni?

Reaction Score
That's the problem. They bought a 1-of-a-kind ceiling design, and only 1 person can fix it. Another brilliant management decision.

Really....I work in aerospace supply chain....my first thought was exactly that..."one supplier meeting technical requirements...proprietary item..." = Recipe for disaster.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But what if Jabroni is a relative of Patoni?
I thought Jabroni is the name of the guy who invented that blasted machine that cleans the ice at UConn hockey games, No?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought Jabroni is the name of the guy who invented that blasted machine that cleans the ice at UConn hockey games, No?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There are others here with more knowledge than me, but my understanding is that the tile situation has been complicated primarily by the fact that the original ceiling tiles were fabricated by the world-renowned Enzo Patoni, who tragically passed away several years ago in a kiln explosion. Because of the unique features of Patoni's work--and especially certain qualities that only his kiln was able to produce--replacement of the damaged ones has been a bedeviling task for the many administrations that have tried to do so since his untimely death.

Last I knew, it was rumored that one of Enzo's sons, Nunzio, was attempting to restore another Patoni kiln to try to replicate them, but there were concerns both about his skill level and his artistic integrity, given the incredible historical value and importance of the original tiles.
Are the pizzas from the other Pepe outlets as good as the ones from Wooster Street?

Reaction Score
Supposed to be fixed this summer, was scheduled in 2016 and got delayed and now summer of 2017.

KO has had to cancel his basketball camp for 2 years now. My son went in 2015 and loved it
Why did KO have to cancel it?

Reaction Score
He said without access to Gampel they really don't have enough space to conduct the camp. I was surprised they have that large rec center and indoor track area/fieldhouse area it seemed like they could but just have to cap the attendees.

But I think some of the appeal was playing in Gampel and they'd have camper games there and at night after dinner the campers would watch the coaches play games, etc.

Why did KO have to cancel it?

Reaction Score
He said without access to Gampel they really don't have enough space to conduct the camp. I was surprised they have that large rec center and indoor track area/fieldhouse area it seemed like they could but just have to cap the attendees.

But I think some of the appeal was playing in Gampel and they'd have camper games there and at night after dinner the campers would watch the coaches play games, etc.
Ohhh I see, that makes sense

Reaction Score

Yup, that's exactly how it was when I went 15-20 years ago. A few camper games were even played on the main court, and of course the counselors (i.e. current players) would scrimmage at night.

I played a point of 1 on 1 with Jake Voskuhl when I was about 12 years old. Didn't go so well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are the pizzas from the other Pepe outlets as good as the ones from Wooster Street?
They would have to do if the original ceased to exist, like the master artisan Enzo Patoni and his special kiln.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone should bump the original thread...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Ah ... the annual ceiling thread.

It was rumored you could see Patoni's effigy in one of the spots in the ceiling the night his kiln went up in smoke.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
XL season ticket holder – went to the Temple game last night as an athletic department perk and had a great time. I hadn’t been to Gampel Pavilion since the Andre Drummond season (vs Pitt IIRC), so it’s been a long long while. Forgive me if this has been discussed (I’m sure it has) but I was shocked at the condition of the roof. WTH is going on structurally up there? It looks Godawful. I’m sure given the budget situation, there’s no plans to fix it though. Just very disappointing to see.
On tv it looked empty there, was it a small crowd??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom