Gampel ceiling repair coming soon | The Boneyard

Gampel ceiling repair coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
For 10 mil are they going to hang a few hundred more seats from the ceiling with a glass floor?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im surprised they are just going to put up the same thing... that they would scrap that look for something fresh

HGN

Reaction Score
Does the $10M cost include repairing (maintenance) to the outside roof of Gampel as well ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really do wish they would save the money until they could finance a new arena. Go up there with some gaffer's tape and glue the next few years while fund raising.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your complaints. According to its website, Gampel is "sparkling and spacious" :)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/facilities/gampel-pavilion.html

Seriously, for a campus-based arena at a public university, Gampel is actually pretty good. There's always a delicate balancing act between throwing money into sporting facilities or into other, more academic, facilities, especially for a university beholden to a legislature for essential revenue. Most of the time, these things get resolved when a private donor steps up and offers political cover for the rest of the public expenditure. Is the Gampel family willing to do that? do they still have the desire/resources? If not, will some other family step up; and, if they do, how to finesse the naming question?

What UConn is doing is the right approach: argue that it's necessary maintenance (roofs are always penny wise investments) and the state picks up the tab.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Most of the time, these things get resolved when a private donor steps up..."

http://www.foundation.uconn.edu/werth-family-uconn-basketball-champions-center/

Coulda gotten an inner roof, outer roof, and roofs for the roofs at Gampel instead :)

How much to paint the outside of the dome like a basketball?

Reminds me of a thread we had back around 10 years back. For some reason I started to create mythical modifications of Gampel. I think it might have started around Easter with this one.

gampegg_pavilion.jpg

And I think I got carried away from there as follows:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They just should have put up a new arena instead of building a "much needed" practice building. I really can't blame the tax payers who complain how this university throws money away.
The practice facility was much more needed than a new stadium, and it's not even remotely close. Both teams used to practice in Gampel and it caused all kinds of problems, especially with the volleyball teams.

My only beef with the renovation is why not address the seats - aren't there a ton of concrete benches that people have to sit on? My parents hate it and let their season tickets go because they got stuck in that area and they are both in their late 70's.

Reaction Score
Good. Was going send a photo of the banners to some KU Jayhawk friends who are starting to follow our historic program...but couldn't find a picture that didn't show the peeling. Just too embarrassing.

And the backrest thing ! Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak