Gameus interruptus ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Gameus interruptus ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We had 18 people over for Thanksgiving Dinner. I was NOT involved in the planning at all (other than to make my andouille stuffing). Dinner was tentatively scheduled to start between 1 and 1:30. Apologies to the family for hiding out in my office until I was absolutely called to join them at the dinner table. As the elder statesman of the family, my presence was needed for the pre-meal toast. We were down 29-18 when I had to leave the game.

Dinner was fine. Lots of blah-blah-blah about things not nearly as important as Husky Basketball.

So here's my ThoughtZ on the first half.

1. Just minor issues early. Couldn't score, couldn't maintain possession, couldn't rebound, couldn't defend. Other than that, we were playing just fine.
  2. Why are Ajax and Akok so damned reluctant to shoot?

Meanwhile, I had the score tracker on my cell screen, and the cell tucked discretely under a napkin on the table. Not too far into the 2nd half, things started to click. I excused myself and disappeared to my basement office when we were down 41-39.

3. I tuned in just in time to catch Tyrese's insane block, recovery and dunk. Pretty much the best play of his UConn career.
  4. At 4:44, off another Tyrese Dunk, with a 7 point lead, I thought we were winning the game. Actually, there was no question in my mind.
  5. And then just past the 1 minute mark, it all came tumbling down, off a horrible call by an official who was not in position to see the contact he called.
  6. Today's big what-if -- What if we hadn't played like crapola for the first ten minutes? Would the outcome have been different? Because we did play the worst basketball of the season for those ten minutes, and still ended up with the lead with less than a minute to go, even if it was by one slim point.
  7. Glad that Sanogo, Martin and Tyrese woke up and took command in the 2nd half, but dammit guys, the game is 40 minutes long.
  8. Very concerned about where Akok has disappeared to.
  9. One starter didn't score at all, and we got a grand total of 7 points off the bench. That's some bad basketball. But we were still in it at the end. How?
  10. There go our sterling shooting percentages. SIGH.
  11. How do you lose a game were you out blocked the opponent by 12? I think you'd have to go something like 2 for 16 from three to accomplish that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seemed at the start we couldn't adjust to Whaley not being on the court. Even though he's not an offensive threat, it became obvious (to me) he was sorely missed. This is a testament to how valuable he is to this team.

The missed bunnies from layups, putbacks and jumpers seemed to stop any run we were trying to make, especially in the 1st half. The good news is that we were getting good shots/looks but the basket had a lid. I also saw us doing a lot of circus stuff which did make me smirk. :confused:

The call on Cole was horrendous at the end, but Hurley became so agitated it appeared he forgot we still had a chance to tie. Consequently the last play was a failure.

We need to start a shooter, somehow someway. TMart, Whaley, AJ, are not shooters. Cole is but he's the point, and Sanogo obviously is but he's the point of no return. All the solutions are there, just need to work this out.

Anyway Whaley should be a go Friday, I expect that to help.

Surprisingly even after losing, my mood was fine at the table. I guess I'm not worried about this squad. At the very least they are very entertaining against good competition.

Reaction Score
We had 18 people over for Thanksgiving Dinner. I was NOT involved in the planning at all (other than to make my andouille stuffing). Dinner was tentatively scheduled to start between 1 and 1:30. Apologies to the family for hiding out in my office until I was absolutely called to join them at the dinner table. As the elder statesman of the family, my presence was needed for the pre-meal toast. We were down 29-18 when I had to leave the game.

Dinner was fine. Lots of blah-blah-blah about things not nearly as important as Husky Basketball.

So here's my ThoughtZ on the first half.

1. Just minor issues early. Couldn't score, couldn't maintain possession, couldn't rebound, couldn't defend. Other than that, we were playing just fine.
  2. Why are Ajax and Akok so damned reluctant to shoot?

Meanwhile, I had the score tracker on my cell screen, and the cell tucked discretely under a napkin on the table. Not too far into the 2nd half, things started to click. I excused myself and disappeared to my basement office when we were down 41-39.

3. I tuned in just in time to catch Tyrese's insane block, recovery and dunk. Pretty much the best play of his UConn career.
  4. At 4:44, off another Tyrese Dunk, with a 7 point lead, I thought we were winning the game. Actually, there was no question in my mind.
  5. And then just past the 1 minute mark, it all came tumbling down, off a horrible call by an official who was not in position to see the contact he called.
  6. Today's big what-if -- What if we hadn't played like crapola for the first ten minutes? Would the outcome have been different? Because we did play the worst basketball of the season for those ten minutes, and still ended up with the lead with less than a minute to go, even if it was by one slim point.
  7. Glad that Sanogo, Martin and Tyrese woke up and took command in the 2nd half, but dammit guys, the game is 40 minutes long.
  8. Very concerned about where Akok has disappeared to.
  9. One starter didn't score at all, and we got a grand total of 7 points off the bench. That's some bad basketball. But we were still in it at the end. How?
  10. There go our sterling shooting percentages. SIGH.
  11. How do you lose a game were you out blocked the opponent by 12? I think you'd have to go something like 2 for 16 from three to accomplish that.
The andouille stuffing sounds great!
The call against Cole was awful and killed any chance the team had of hanging on. Hurley got obsessed with it and it looked like it distracted him from coaching the rest of the game. I thought he was going to get T'd up and put the team in a bigger hole.
They really just didn't play all that well. They weren't sharing the ball. They weren't hitting shots. They got themselves in a deep hole early. The defense was ok but the offensive execution was awful. And Sanogo has to figure out when he is forcing the issue and kick the ball out.
Anyway, it was a tough loss on a neutral floor to a good team. Hopefully they can throttle VCU tomorrow and feel better about themselves for the trip home. VCU looked good against Cuse so we will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom