Games tonight (11/16) | The Boneyard

Games tonight (11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A couple of games of interest tonight:

BC @ Rutgers 7:30 (I believe this game can be viewed online (no charge) on RU's vision which can be accessed at the RU Athletic site. Good chance to get an early look at RU and its new players)

G'Town @ LSU 8:00 (G'town off to a rough start so will be looking for a good win. LSU won its first game on the road against Wichita State but it was by no means an easy win.)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Okay, I went to the Rutgers site and watched the 1st half of its game against Boston College. RU is up 40-23 at the half.

Update: I tuned in for the last 10 mins and although RU won 74-58, BC actually cut the lead to 5 points with about 8-9 mins left. No idea how BC could have done that.

Observations:
  • BC is a bad basketball team; decent effort but no talent.
  • Rutgers shot 16-38 in the 1st half and 15 of its baskets were lay-ups and 1 was a 3. Rutgers scored mostly on the break off of missed shots (there were plenty) or turnovers (lots of them too), but shot brick after brick in its half-court offense (looked familiar) and very poorly on 3s.
  • RU's guards are quick and press most of the game; its press looked okay, but not as good as in other years.
  • Oliver looked okay but her back-up not so much; BC no post game whatsoever
  • Sykes was pretty much a non-factor until about 5 mins left in the game when she scored all of her 9 points.
In other action, LSU up 26-21 on Georgetown at the half.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LSU beat Georgetown 51-40 in a game in which there was some ugly shooting:

FGs
GT 24% Sugar Rodgers shot 4-20 and continues to struggle. What is up with Sugar?
LSU 34%

3pt FGs
GT 13%
LSU 16.7%

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks Cat...

I hope Sugar gets it together

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Game Tomorrow:

University of Delaware (Delle Donne) vs Penn State
If you dial up the Del website, you can sort of watch the game on their less than wonderful local video broadcast.
Should be interesting

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Game Tomorrow:

If you dial up the Del website, you can sort of watch the game on their less than wonderful local video broadcast.
Should be interesting

I'm looking forward to that game. Lucas vs. EDD.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Game Tomorrow:

Should be interesting
good info... thanks

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

FGs
GT 24% Sugar Rodgers shot 4-20 and continues to struggle. What is up with Sugar?
LSU 34%

3pt FGs
GT 13%
LSU 16.7%

Maybe GTown is missing the leadership/chemistry that McNutt provided? Could lead to lack of confidence, tentative shots, forcing things, etc. Don't know. Hope they get things back on track

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Maybe GTown is missing the leadership/chemistry that McNutt provided? Could lead to lack of confidence, tentative shots, forcing things, etc. Don't know. Hope they get things back on track
sort of like Tiff without Maya (not saying Tiff is struggling at all)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sadly that game is at Delaware or else I would have been there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Okay, I went to the Rutgers site and watched the 1st half of its game against Boston College. RU is up 40-23 at the half.

Observations:
  • BC is a bad basketball team; decent effort but no talent.
Sadly, BC does have talent. Tiffany Ruffin is a Top 100 player with a big upside, Kerri Shields out of Archbiship Carroll was considered one of the best point guards in the Northeast as a high schooler and Katie Zenevitch, who I saw several time when she was in high school, was a very raw but very talented player, ranked #63 by HoopGurlz in her senior year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sadly, BC does have talent. Tiffany Ruffin is a Top 100 player with a big upside, Kerri Shields out of Archbiship Carroll was considered one of the best point guards in the Northeast as a high schooler and Katie Zenevitch, who I saw several time when she was in high school, was a very raw but very talented player, ranked #63 by HoopGurlz in her senior year.

Kerri really struggled to get anything going against RU's much quicker guards. Zenevitch struggled in the 1st half but ended up scoring 15 points so she must have led the comeback in the 2nd half which I missed. She has pretty good size but prefers the perimeter to the paint. I thought BC's best player was Doherty who I think was a Long Island player with Bria Hartley (different High School). I didn't really notice Ruffin too much; I see she scored 9 points.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score

FGs
LSU 34%

3pt FGs
GT 13%
LSU 16.7%

How about 23 turnovers for G'town, 26 for my girls, but we had 'em in assists 11-6. we were outrebounded by 49-42 (shows all those missed shots)

Still concerned why she insists on starting Black---been ineffective in all 3 games (incl. exh) what's up with that Nikki?:confused:

Also only played superstar Forthan 9 minutes. Also funny how Turnbow and Jones, with the best FG%, also had 4 Tos each and one assist between them.

Boykin, highly rated frosh Nikki brought with her, again saw no minutes. The other frosh Dane Anne Pedersen, has still not seen a minute of play. She also didn't even try our other Big--Shanece Mckinney---again, no minutes. Good Lord, NOBODY was doing many things well, most were doing maybe one thing well, but had problems with all other areas. So why not try the other 3 and see what they can do? It can't be much worse than 34% and 26 TOs!!! On the upside, we did only have 8 TOs in the second half...yet it didn't result in more points because FG% in 2nd half was 28!!

Another bright spot was Destini Hughes at PG. She played 30 minutes and was 2/2 from 3, had 3 boards, 4/4 FTs, 4 steals, 10 points, a block, 2 assists, and 3 TOs. Absolutely tremendous effort, just obviously needs to fix that A/TO ratio, preferably by increasing the assists. But assists were low for both teams because nobody could make the shot when given to them. Also, in a game like that, how can you really make any assumptions that she'll continue that A/TO trend? She did have some issues with TOs last season, so we'll see. We're gonna need her to continue that kind of production and she is a beast on defense.

And Boogie Barrett put in an All American type performance since, based on the type of game it was, her numbers were great.:)

Didn't someone once say "Defense wins games"?;)

Bottom line is we won. Problems I addressed after Wichita St. game---FT%, FG%, and TOs---are still there.

For anybody who's interested, here's the box score.
http://www.lsusports.net//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&CONTENT_ID=171759

GEAUX TIGERS!!! GEAUX TO HELL OLE MISS!!! (our big FB rival this W/E)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Georgetown plays a physical game that can make lots of teams look ugly. Last year, UConn and Georgetown banged and bruised their way to an ugly 52-42 UConn win with Tiff Hayes shooting 3-13 and Maya going 5-11.

Has LSU ever played Rutgers? Georgetown is Rutgers-Lite these days.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Georgetown plays a physical game that can make lots of teams look ugly. Last year, UConn and Georgetown banged and bruised their way to an ugly 52-42 UConn win with Tiff Hayes shooting 3-13 and Maya going 5-11.

Has LSU ever played Rutgers? Georgetown is Rutgers-Lite these days.

yeah, we've played them maybe 3 times. think we've maybe won one...all have been low scoring. they beat us in FF in 2007, when we were "shoo ins"

oops! just saw the post above about that '07 game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I remember the discussion we had on that game now. LSU scored 35 points, geez.

After scoring 73 points against UConn in the previous game. Painful to watch on many levels.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
After scoring 73 points against UConn in the previous game. Painful to watch on many levels.
Yeah, it was like having a root canal without novocaine.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yep. I didn't recognize the team that beat us. LSU was a very good team, especially defensively, but they played well above their averages on offense that night. Then, against Rutgers, it was the opposite.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yep. I didn't recognize the team that beat us. LSU was a very good team, especially defensively, but they played well above their averages on offense that night. Then, against Rutgers, it was the opposite.
Some would argue that was Kia Vaughn's greatest game - against Big Syl. LSU did beat RU at LSU in the Sue Gunther era, Chelsea Newton had shoulder trouble but, IIRC, played anyhow in what was her "return home" game.

As to BC - the 4 players mentioned earlier in the thread all looked good at times. BC lost for only 2 reasons - lack of a post (and not much they are going to be able to do about that) and an inability to play as up-tempo as RU. Comments about RU require 2 slight tweaks:
- While we shot some bricks - and did so in our first game - most of them were open shots. Erica Wheeler, our prime 3 point shooter, who was very off against BC, is recovering from a broken hand and appeared to be in pain per RU message board.
- The press was not as good as some years - but we have never seen the press so much or so early in the season. Last year, we never saw it! Given time, it could become awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom