Gamers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gamers?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Its not too bad but no where near as good as these younger guys today. I hold my own unless I run into some 12 year olds, then its over.

I'm still pretty good. Once in a while I'll run into a guy that clearly is a cut above.... but I did well with Destiny. 12 year olds don't faze me much... it's the college kid that's on at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I could plot how well I was going to do in multiplayer based on the time of day. Heh.

My problem with Fallout games is I get to the point where I have to commit to a faction in order to finish the game and can't decide which one. I finished Fallout 3... but New Vegas and Fallout 4 are basically on hold right before the end of the game. My 13 year old has finished them at this point and makes fun of me. Basically I like anything Bethesda does... The Witcher series... the first two Borderlands. I played a bunch of No Man's Sky. So close to being a good game... but more of just a framework.. my guess is it's going to have a second life after a few more revisions or with a bunch of PC mods.

I'm going to have to pick up the BOTW. I have a Wii U and don't know if I'll buy it for that or spring for the Switch. I own way to many consoles at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm still pretty good. Once in a while I'll run into a guy that clearly is a cut above.... but I did well with Destiny. 12 year olds don't faze me much... it's the college kid that's on at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I could plot how well I was going to do in multiplayer based on the time of day. Heh.

My problem with Fallout games is I get to the point where I have to commit to a faction in order to finish the game and can't decide which one. I finished Fallout 3... but New Vegas and Fallout 4 are basically on hold right before the end of the game. My 13 year old has finished them at this point and makes fun of me. Basically I like anything Bethesda does... The Witcher series... the first two Borderlands. I played a bunch of No Man's Sky. So close to being a good game... but more of just a framework.. my guess is it's going to have a second life after a few more revisions or with a bunch of PC mods.

I'm going to have to pick up the BOTW. I have a Wii U and don't know if I'll buy it for that or spring for the Switch. I own way to many consoles at this point.

I played so much Fallout 4 I may not go back to it for a year. I finished it with each different faction with the exception of the Institute, those cats creep me out. I dont think I did all the side missions though, it always seemed as though I was finding something new. Ever find the kid in the fridge?

LOVE the Witcher 3, probably one of my top 5 all timers. The graphics are incredible and the game play was great as well. I too am a Bethesda fan. Watch dogs, the first one, while clunky at times was a blast. The second was too much of a departure for my taste, but still plenty of fun to play.

I have heard nothing but bad reviews on NMS. I have not tried it for myself though.

Destiny I have not played at all but my boys play it and it looks pretty fun. They just picked up Titanfall 2 on sale this weekend, that game is crazy.

I agree on your first part. When I play Rainbow 6 in the day time its completely different then at night. The worst is the team killers, no matter what time of day. Freaking little bastardos.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm currently very much down the Nintendo Classic rabbit hole and playing SMB 1, 2, 3... good nostalgia. Looking forward to tinkering/modding it...

Reaction Score
Anyone play Clash of Clans?

I was a pretty good NCAA2K player back in the day, @Mano knows. Microsoft flew me down first class to the final four to participate in a tournament. They also gave me $1,000, 10 xbox games, final four tickets, they put me up in the W Hotel and a free subscription to xbox live for some amount of years. Bobby Hurley was my "Coach" at the event. Funniest thing was one of my roommates owed both the xbox and the game so I wasn't even technically allowed to participate but they never figured that out.

I think I played the next 2K maybe 10 times and then stopped. The only other games I've really spent any time on this then were some older Final Fantasy, Skyrim and a couple of the GTAs.

Reaction Score
Anyone play Clash of Clans?

I was a pretty good NCAA2K player back in the day, @Mano knows. Microsoft flew me down first class to the final four to participate in a tournament. They also gave me $1,000, 10 xbox games, final four tickets, they put me up in the W Hotel and a free subscription to xbox live for some amount of years. Bobby Hurley was my "Coach" at the event. Funniest thing was one of my roommates owed both the xbox and the game so I wasn't even technically allowed to participate but they never figured that out.

I think I played the next 2K maybe 10 times and then stopped. The only other games I've really spent any time on this then were some older Final Fantasy, Skyrim and a couple of the GTAs.

I played clash a long time ago, quit phone games, played SimCity then quit. Now playing Ark of War because I enjoy frustrating Chinese pay to win players.

Reaction Score

No Man's Sky and Titanfall look so good that I am afraid to try them for fear of liking them too much. There is another game coming out maybe "Star Citizen" which is the same genre as No Man's Sky that looks good too,

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
No Man's Sky and Titanfall look so good that I am afraid to try them for fear of liking them too much. There is another game coming out maybe "Star Citizen" which is the same genre as No Man's Sky that looks good too,

No Man's Sky is worth it if you don't pay $60. :) I bought it when it first came out. It's really pretty cool but the actual game play is pretty limited. It's almost more of a thought experiment than a complete game. That being said you could play it for hours on end and see new landscapes, etc. but the actual game play is repetitive and the enemies and creatures in it are fairly limited. You basically have a variation on the same six or seven themes repeated infinitely. That being said it is an infinite universe with varied landscapes... it's just that those landscapes tend to have the same six plants and 10 animals. :)

I've never played Titanfall. I'll pick it up one of these days... because I buy way to many games. :-D

Reaction Score
I've been seriously addicted to world of tanks blitz since my wife got me a new tablet for Christmas. I can't put it down. Any one else play?

Reaction Score
No Man's Sky is worth it if you don't pay $60. :) I bought it when it first came out. It's really pretty cool but the actual game play is pretty limited. It's almost more of a thought experiment than a complete game. That being said you could play it for hours on end and see new landscapes, etc. but the actual game play is repetitive and the enemies and creatures in it are fairly limited. You basically have a variation on the same six or seven themes repeated infinitely. That being said it is an infinite universe with varied landscapes... it's just that those landscapes tend to have the same six plants and 10 animals. :)

I've never played Titanfall. I'll pick it up one of these days... because I buy way to many games. :-D

Heard mixed reviews on NMS. Looked interesting but then I watched a game play video was not impressed enough to take the AAA price plunge.

I havent played it yet but the second Titanfall looks cool when my boys are playing it. I may need to give it a shot.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Heard mixed reviews on NMS. Looked interesting but then I watched a game play video was not impressed enough to take the AAA price plunge.

I havent played it yet but the second Titanfall looks cool when my boys are playing it. I may need to give it a shot.

Good instinct on NMS... but the kids wanted it too... so I got it. They released a few updates that improved the game cosmetically and improved some game play but it still can be repetitive. I would have felt much better buying it at $20. ;)

That being said I've gotten my money's worth in terms of time in the game and sometimes it just blows you away. It is the future of open world (universe) gaming... it's just not here yet.

Reaction Score
That being said I've gotten my money's worth in terms of time in the game and sometimes it just blows you away. It is the future of open world (universe) gaming... it's just not here yet.

My oldest boy was lamenting this to me just the other day. He claims that games like NMS, the Witcher 3 etc, with these HUGE open worlds are making other producers try and keep up and that its not good for the industry in the long run. I told him he was nuts and to pack his things.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I play a lot of late night MAME. Those classic arcade games are still the best to me.

I have FIFA and NHL on a PS3 I play sometimes.

My daughter has a Wii U - that thing outside of Mario Cart is just awful.

Reaction Score
I've been seriously addicted to world of tanks blitz since my wife got me a new tablet for Christmas. I can't put it down. Any one else play?

No, that's another one I avoid because I know I will like it.

Reaction Score
My oldest boy was lamenting this to me just the other day. He claims that games like NMS, the Witcher 3 etc, with these HUGE open worlds are making other producers try and keep up and that its not good for the industry in the long run. I told him he was nuts and to pack his things.

It's the future. You buy the game and then you make in game purchases.

I recommend the book: "Ready Player One". Many people are already living their lives online.

Reaction Score

No question about it. Its all about the pre-order and the in game pay wall stuff for the developers. The game I mentioned about Rainbow 6 is REALLY bad about it. Everything is behind a pay wall or you have to earn it through a points system. But, the points required can be as much as 25,000. On average for one style of play, you earn about 150-200 points per round. Its no big thing for me, I am adult and have plenty of cash if I want to waste it. But for everyone to enjoy it, I would think there has to be something more user friendly.

I recommend the book: "Ready Player One". Many people are already living their lives online.

Thanks Zoo, I'll be sure and check it out.

Reaction Score
If you pick it up let me know. I'll roll with any fellow yarder.

It's free to play, just like the sister game "World of Battleships" or something like that. I have a six month old at home. The only gaming I get in these days in on my phone or iPad unfortunately.

Another good free to play is MechWarrior online. There is also related "Battletech" online strategy game coming out later this summer. I have thing for giant walking tanks and I am not even Japanese.

Reaction Score
It's free to play, just like the sister game "World of Battleships" or something like that. I have a six month old at home. The only gaming I get in these days in on my phone or iPad unfortunately.

Another good free to play is MechWarrior online. There is also related "Battletech" online strategy game coming out later this summer. I have thing for giant walking tanks and I am not even Japanese.
It is free, but you can also spend money on premium stuff if you like. I took the dive and bought a few premium vehicles as they have their perks. World of Tanks:Blitz is the version optimized for iPads/tablets and the like. So you can game away on your iPad. I don't have a gaming pc so I can't do warships or the pc version of tanks. It's a total blast. Dl it from the AppStore.

Reaction Score
No question about it. Its all about the pre-order and the in game pay wall stuff for the developers. The game I mentioned about Rainbow 6 is REALLY bad about it. Everything is behind a pay wall or you have to earn it through a points system. But, the points required can be as much as 25,000. On average for one style of play, you earn about 150-200 points per round. Its no big thing for me, I am adult and have plenty of cash if I want to waste it. But for everyone to enjoy it, I would think there has to be something more user friendly.

Thanks Zoo, I'll be sure and check it out.

Same. I actually am OK with in game purchases. I'd prefer updates to a platform that I like to keep things fresh versus getting a new version every six months like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

I played the original Rainbow 6 ages ago. I also have a really good friend who was top 10 in the world playing Ghost Recon. Somehow he had 7 Xboxes running while he was at work and he had system of bots. I never understood what he was doing.

Reaction Score

I very much enjoyed NMS as a kind of zen, meditative type of experience. Just enjoying the scenery and crafting and collecting type of thing. I haven't played since the update that added bases and vehicles though. It was an interesting beginning I'll say. In a way it reminds me of a cross of Spaceman Spiff from Calvin and Hobbes and the adventuring and world hopping parts of Ready Player One that @ZooCougar brought up. I'd recommend it if you can snag it at a discount like you were saying, should be easy these days. I'm pretty sure I've seen it for $20.

Reaction Score
I very much enjoyed NMS as a kind of zen, meditative type of experience. Just enjoying the scenery and crafting and collecting type of thing. I haven't played since the update that added bases and vehicles though. It was an interesting beginning I'll say. In a way it reminds me of a cross of Spaceman Spiff from Calvin and Hobbes and the adventuring and world hopping parts of Ready Player One that @ZooCougar brought up. I'd recommend it if you can snag it at a discount like you were saying, should be easy these days. I'm pretty sure I've seen it for $20.

I purchased that book about 10 min after Zoo clued me into it. Will be reading it in a month or so when I finish my current series. I am interested in the movie as well, I see Zoo also started a thread on that.

I will keep an eye out for a deal on that one to give it a try. I just finished getting ranked in multiplayer on Rainbow 6, and now I will be grinding the crap out of that game for a while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Do not play most IAP games. I got sucked into one that was monstrous (Game of War - Fire Age). You almost had to play all the time. The game play was terrible, and they had to introduce new things constantly, because money obliterated the model. People were spending thousands of dollars, and then finding that later people could get to the same level much more cheaply. Horrible. Many regrets.

I still play Clash of Clans, but its gameplay is minimally affected by money. And you can ignore it. Still it brings in just under $2M a day. For a "free" game.

Reaction Score
Do not play most IAP games. I got sucked into one that was monstrous (Game of War - Fire Age). You almost had to play all the time. The game play was terrible, and they had to introduce new things constantly, because money obliterated the model. People were spending thousands of dollars, and then finding that later people could get to the same level much more cheaply. Horrible. Many regrets.

I still play Clash of Clans, but its gameplay is minimally affected by money. And you can ignore it. Still it brings in just under $2M a day. For a "free" game.

Evil stuff man. And let me guess, the Chinese dominated Game of War?

Reaction Score

@ZooCougar So I finally just now finished this book. That was a really fun and scary read. All the 80's stuff brought back SO many memories for me. I really appreciate you recommending it to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom