Gameday - UConn @ Georgia Tech 7:00 pm ET ESPN2 | The Boneyard

Gameday - UConn @ Georgia Tech 7:00 pm ET ESPN2

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For the first time in nearly four years, UConn senior Olivia Nelson-Ododa will play in front of a home crowd of family and close friends when the Huskies travel to Atlanta to play Georgia Tech tonight. The Winder, Georgia native will be cheered by her family, including her parents Sebastian Ododa and Heather Nelson-Ododa, along with friends, former teammates and coaches including her high school coach Kimblery Garren.

1200x0.jpg

Olivia Nelson-Ododa

Players and coach Geno Auriemma told media Wednesday that it’ll take a team effort to compensate for the loss of Bueckers, not to mention Azzi Fudd, Nika Mühl and Aubrey Griffin, who join Bueckers on the Huskies’ injured reserve list. There’s little doubt that the bulk of the responsibility now rests with three players in particular: seniors Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, as well as redshirt senior Evina Westbrook. The Bueckers-less stretch starts Thursday when the Huskies face Georgia Tech in Nelson-Ododa’s homecoming game. The Yellow Jackets are 6-2, their two losses came against Auburn (59-51) and Purdue (53-52), though they did beat No. 20 Georgia (55-54).

Here’s the particulars on tonight's game -
Site:
McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, GA (Capacity 8600)
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Series: UConn leads, 2-0
Last meeting: No. 1 UConn 71, Georgia Tech 52, Nov. 21, 2010, in Atlanta
TV: ESPN2 (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo, Carolyn Peck)
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN (Bob Joyce, Debbie Fiske) Pregame warmup show begins 30 mins prior to tip.

Georgia Tech Roster - Head coach Nell Fortner (3rd year)
Georgia Tech game notes
Georgia Tech combined team stats

Georgia Tech probable starters, sixth man

Lorela Cubaj, F, 6-4, Gr.; Digna Strautmane, F, 6-2, Gr.; Nerea Hermosa, F, 6-5, Jr.; Eylia Love, G/F, 6-1, So.; Lotta-Maj Lahtinen, G, 5-9, Sr.; Sarah Bates, G, 5-9, R-Sr.

UConn probable starters, sixth man

Christyn Williams, G, 5-11, Sr.; Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F, 6-5, Sr.; Evina Westbrook, G, 6-0, R-Sr.; Aaliyah Edwards, F, 6-3, So.; Caroline Ducharme, G, 6-2, Fr.; Dorka Juhász, F, 6-5, Gr.

UConn roster - Head coach Geno Auriemma (37th year)
UConn game notes
UConn combined individual stats

Massey sez UConn 63 - GT 55

TIP INS -​

Time is now for Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Olivia Nelson-Ododa to step up as UConn women face Georgia Tech

UConn WBB Weekly: Could Paige Bueckers’ absence help the Huskies long-term?

What's up with Nika Mühl this season?

Without UConn’s biggest star and a depleted roster, Geno Auriemma faces his toughest challenge in years

Why UConn senior Olivia Nelson-Ododa returning home to Georgia at perfect time

Ga. Tech assistant diagnosed with breast cancer

Last Night In #BIGEASTwbb – 12.9.21

Next up for UConn vs #25 UCLA Saturday Dec 11 @ The Prudential Center, Newark, NJ. 1:00 pm ET ABC TV / UConn sports network

Reaction Score
Happy for Liv. Playing in front of family, friends, and former teammates and coaching staff is a huge moment. I am looking forward to a great game. I got faith in our beloved UConn Huskies and Coaching staff. Let's go, Huskies!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From their scores GT scores in the 50's most of their games which tells me they play a slow deliberate game. If UConn can maintain patience and execute they should win. I dont want to see us fall behind or get in early foul trouble. With that said when we get it going we have 2 players who alone can score over 50 pts in this game. I dont see that happening thought unless UConn gets off to a lead fast. Dictating the pace of the game tonite is very important.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From their scores GT scores in the 50's most of their games which tells me they play a slow deliberate game. If UConn can maintain patience and execute they should win. I dont want to see us fall behind or get in early foul trouble. With that said when we get it going we have 2 players who alone can score over 50 pts in this game. I dont see that happening thought unless UConn gets off to a lead fast. Dictating the pace of the game tonite is very important.
Agreed Tonyc!! UConn MUST be patient. UConn MUST take good "open look" shots, protect the ball - limit the turnovers to single digits, and try to limit GT to one shot per possession. GT is going to score, but make them work hard for every basket. No easy baskets. Limit GT's trips to the FT line. Play with a purpose and with urgency. A win tonight will be as significant as the win over Arkansas.

Reaction Score
As long as no one forces offense and takes good shots we will be ok. Look for Caroline to go for 20. She is not afraid to shoot and drive to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Inexplicably, really looking forward to this game. Explicably, would be great fun to see the 7+ really show up.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im just hoping for no southern cookin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members