Game Week - UConn vs. Tulsa (Homecoming - 10/21/17 @ Noon on ESPNU | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn vs. Tulsa (Homecoming - 10/21/17 @ Noon on ESPNU

Reaction Score
Guess w/ everyone covering AAC Basketball Media Day they didn't break out Coaches' Call separately this week.

Randy Edsall @ 9:31
Philip Montgomery from Tulsa @ 21:46

Reaction Score
homecoming.jpg

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2m 2 minutes ago
Mike Couzens and John Congemi calling Saturday's #UConn/Tulsa football game on ESPNU

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 58s 58 seconds ago
UConn depth chart vs. Tulsa has these DB's listed as starters: Coyle, Swann, Brown, Terry, Summers.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 43s 43 seconds ago
Hardly a surprise to see Jordan Swann listed as a starting cornerback for #UConn

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 1m1 minute ago
WR Hergy Mayala, S Tyler Coyle also back as starters on #UConn two-deep chart

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 59s60 seconds ago
Cam Stapleton back to DE, now listed as backup to Cole Ormsby.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 11s 11 seconds ago
Freshman Darrian Beavers on depth chart as back-up linebacker.

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 14s 14 seconds ago
Kyle Buss not on UConn depth chart. He limped off field during punt coverage at Temple.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 4s 4 seconds ago
Kyle Buss injured? Edsall: "Could be."

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 27s 28 seconds ago
Tulsa is ranked 4th in AAC in rushing offense, highest mark of any conference team #UConn has faced this season

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 48s 48 seconds ago
Huskies on momentum up-swing? Edsall: “I would hope so. I would hope that our guys got some more confidence.”

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 40s 40 seconds ago
Good practice today, Edsall said. Intensity, focus, better communication that past Tuesdays.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 26s 26 seconds ago
Coach Edsall sees signs at practice of building off last week's win. "I thought there was a little bit more intensity and focus."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 26s 26 seconds ago
Darrian Beavers "is as raw as raw can be right now, but he'll get better," Edsall said.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 31s 32 seconds ago
Edsall on freshman linebacker Darrian Beavers: "He's one of those guys that has that natural ability but he's just not polished yet.:

ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky 1m 1 minute ago
"I still think we can get more out of Foley. We need him to come off the ball faster. He has the natural ability." - Edsall #UConnFootball

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 49s 49 seconds ago
Randy Edsall said #UConn pass rush is getting better but not where it needs to be

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 33s 33 seconds ago
Edsall on Stapleton move to DE: Partly due to Connor Freeborn injury but "It's also about continuing to evaluate your roster."

Reaction Score
While our defense will have to prove it, I like our odds stopping a running based offense much more than I like our odds stopping a passing based offense. At the very least, Foley and Joseph make running up the gut absent misdirection a tough proposition for an opponent.

Reaction Score
UC Sports‏ @UCTVSports 20s 20 seconds ago
Edsall on if Tulsa's offensive output against Houston surprised him: "I don't think anything really surprises me anymore."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 24s 25 seconds ago
Randy Edsall mentions that Tulsa has played 21 freshmen this season, think #UConn is up to 20 freshmen played

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 1m 1 minute ago
Edsall on whether he likes being an underdog: “No, I’d rather be winning every game and not being an underdog.”

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 44s 45 seconds ago
Edsalll on the team's play so far: "I'd love to have more wins, but that's behind us. All I want to do is keep getting better each week."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout
Edsall on Fr. O-linemen DeGeorge and Van Demark playing: “They’re the best we have and it’s good for them.”

UC Sports‏ @UCTVSports 29s 29 seconds ago
"Once Ryan puts on weight and gets stronger, he's gonna be a really really good player." -Edsall on OL Ryan Van Denmark

--- end---

Strange press conference... not a lot of questions this week (like winning a game solved all).

Reaction Score
Looking forward to this see how this one plays out. This might be the first game all year where our defense doesn't allow more than 300 yards passing because Tulsa loves to run the ball so much. They are 11th in the country at rushing yards/game at 272 yards and averaging 172 yards a game threw the air. Believe it or not, their defense has been worse than ours, giving up 561 yards a game. This might be a fun game for Mensah to really break out (please no runs up the middle for Newsome).

Hoping a Home Game for UConn makes the difference here. UConn 35-Tulsa 31

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We haven’t really been burned by a traditional run game this year. I Fatukasi and Carrezola are okay stuffing the run up the middle. LBs getting around the edge is going to be huge.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We haven’t really been burned by a traditional run game this year. I Fatukasi and Carrezola are okay stuffing the run up the middle. LBs getting around the edge is going to be huge.

Maybe we will see a lot of Summers and Swann on islands with the safeties playing much closer to the line of scrimmage. Use the 3-3-5 personnel, but bunch an LB forward and the safeties forward so it sets up like a 4-4-3 or even a 4-5-2. Lets force Tulsa to throw if President has accuracy issues.

I am worried about Tulsa getting 5 - 7 yards a clip rushing the ball outside the tackles. We have seen instances where we cannot set the edge.

Reaction Score
Maybe we will see a lot of Summers and Swann on islands with the safeties playing much closer to the line of scrimmage. Use the 3-3-5 personnel, but bunch an LB forward and the safeties forward so it sets up like a 4-4-3 or even a 4-5-2. Lets force Tulsa to throw if President has accuracy issues.

I am worried about Tulsa getting 5 - 7 yards a clip rushing the ball outside the tackles. We have seen instances where we cannot set the edge.
We haven't set the edge or contained cutbacks well at all. It will be a test for sure

Reaction Score
I love Randy Edsall, how can you not. Great coach, has the right OC and DC with him. Let it rip HCRE, and lets hope a lot of players feel like me and step up big versus Tulsa. Who is primed to surprise?

Against Tulsa you got to bet JJ and Diggs will show up, nice to hear coach give Foley some incentive. The DB's - flip a coin but I hope their confidence against Temple carries through.

Now on O - no comments per se in passing game, but I hope someone besides Arkell steps up to surprise. It's time. I do hope Hopkins is healthy and maybe its time for Mensah to have a break out game. Not to diss Arkeel, he is so trustworthy and steady, I just think he needs the D to think/react about another threat for him to take advantage.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom