Game Week - UConn v. Temple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Published on Nov 2, 2016
Redshirt Senior Captain Andreas Knappe began his career on the defensive line but has become a dominant force as right tackle on the O-line. The Denmark native has put on 65 lbs of pure muscle since coming to Storrs, a true testiment to his approach to life.

Reaction Score
Philly.com: Expanded football preview: Temple at Connecticut

Key Players For Temple:

QB Phillip Walker, 5-11, 205 Sr. (144-250 passing, 1,990 yards, 13 TDs, 10 INT); LT Dion Dawkins, 6-5, 320, Sr. (35 career starts); RB Jahad Thomas, 5-10, 188, Sr. (564 yards rushing, 4.8 avg., 9 TDs; 23 receptions, 281 yards, 3 TDs); DE Haason Reddick, 6-1, 235, r-Sr. (38 tackles, 16.5 TFL. 7.5 sacks); LB Avery Williams, 5-10, 224, r-Sr. (39 tackles, 5.5 TFL); NT Averee Robinson, 6-0, 285 Sr. (22 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks); WR Keith Kirkwood, 6-3, 218, r-Jr. (27 receptions, 420 yards, 3 TDs); WR Ventell Bryant, 6-3, 189, r-So. (27 receptions, 412 yards, 2 TD); TE-DE Romond Deloatch, 6-4, 220 r-Sr. (15 receptions, 212 yards, 4 sacks, 1 defensive TD); RB Ryquell Armstead, 5-11, 205, So. (674 yards rushing, 6.2 avg. 11 TDs.); LB Stephaun Marshall, 5-11, 206 r-Sr. (43 tackles); WR Brodrick Yancy, 5-10, 195 r-So. (24 receptions, 250 yards, 2 TDs); SS Delvon Randall, 5-11, 208, So. (39 tackles, 3 interceptions); DE Praise Martin-Oguike, 6-1, 255 r-Sr. (34 tackles, 4 sacks); FS Sean Chandler, 6-0, 190, Jr. (27 tackles, 1 INT).

About Temple:

CB Artrel Foster hurt his shoulder last week and isn't expected to play this week...Haason Reddick's 16.5 tackles for loss leads the AAC...Temple would repeat as AAC East Division champion with wins in the final three games at UConn and Tulane and home vs. East Carolina...The Owls have rushed for 791 yards during their current three-game win streak...DL Avery Ellis has blocked punts in consecutive games...Jahad Thomas rushed for a season-high 151 yards in last week's win against Cincinnati..Phillip Walker has a school-record 24 career wins by a starting QB

Video: Temple-UConn Preview

Reaction Score
OwlScoop.com

>>Owls’ secondary banged up

Temple’s two starting boundary cornerbacks, Nate Hairston and Artrel Foster, are both injured, and their statuses for Friday night’s game against UConn is uncertain.

These injuries come while the Owls will have to go up against Noel Thomas, who Rhule called “one of the premier wideouts in the conference, if not the country.”

Foster, who went down with an apparent shoulder injury in last Saturday’s win over Cincinnati, was seen watching Tuesday’s practice in street clothes. “Artrel Foster is probably out for the game,” said Rhule, who later added that he expects to have Foster back after the bye week. Defensive backs coach Francis Brown was more optimistic when asked about Foster’s status for Saturday.“Me knowing Artrel, Artrel will probably play this weekend,” Brown said. “He was running around with us yesterday, trying to do some stuff. I think Artrel will probably play this weekend. Artrel’s tough. You’re not gonna get him off the field.”

Hairston, a redshirt senior, was injured during Tuesday’s practice, and the seriousness of the injury is still unknown.“I don’t know if he’ll play or not,” Rhule said. “I have no idea.”When asked about the plan at cornerback if Hairston and Foster are unable to play, Rhule said he is unsure of who would fill in the two starting spots.“I don’t know yet,” Rhule said. “I don’t know who’s what.”

Derrek Thomas, who converted from wide receiver to cornerback over the offseason, would likely slide into one of the boundary corner spots against UConn, as he did while filling in for Foster against Cincinnati.
“We’ve got DT,” Rhule said of Thomas. “He got beat on a couple cover-two balls over his head, which is not him. It’s the safety. After that, he played pretty good. He had a couple pass break-ups and so we feel good about Derrek.” Thomas was confident in his abilities when talking to OwlScoop Tuesday. “I was more concerned with him (Foster), whether he was all right or not,” Thomas said. “Early in the season, there were some games where I played 40, 50 snaps. It wasn’t a problem to come in and play.” Thomas said he hopes to get matched up with UConn’s top receiving threat in Noel Thomas, who has grabbed 83 receptions for 1,058 yards (12.7 average) and three touchdowns in nine games.“That’s the goal,” Thomas said.

True freshman Linwood Crump, who saw some increased snaps against Cincinnati while Foster was out, is “ready to play,” Rhule said.“Linwood plays great,” Rhule said of Crump, who didn’t play high school football in New Jersey as a senior after transferring to Piscataway from Sayreville Memorial. Rhule also mentioned Cequan Jefferson and Sam Franklin as two other options at cornerback.

Senior Jahad Thomas, who was a cornerback before transitioning to running back as a sophomore, and junior Sean Chandler, a starter at cornerback for two seasons before moving to safety, could also see time at cornerback.
“If we have to play Champ, we’ll play Champ,” said Rhule, referring to Chandler. “If we have to play Jahad, we’ll play Jahad. To me, I don’t care. Whoever’s going to go over there and play.”

Rhule said redshirt sophomore safety Jyquis Thomas is “probably” out.

Redshirt freshman cornerback Kareem Ali was back on the practice field Tuesday and wearing a yellow jersey, which signifies that he’s still recovering from injury. Ali has not played since suffering a dislocated elbow Sept. 10 against Stony Brook. “I think so,” Brown said when asked if Ali is close to returning. “That all goes under (athletic trainer) Al (Bellamy) and them. If they say he can go, we’ll give him an opportunity to go. He’s still got some guys to beat out … a bunch of other guys that have been practicing and been here for a while.”<<

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony ‏@ManthonyCourant 56m 56 minutes ago
Approximately 22,000 tickets have been distributed for UConn-Temple Friday night at Rentschler Field.

Mike Anthony/Courant Game Capsule: A Capsule Look: Temple (6-3) vs. UConn (3-6)

Injuries: Temple — CB Artrel Foster (shoulder), out; DL Sharif Finch (knee), out; K Austin Jones (leg), out; DL Julian Taylor (knee), out; CB Kareem Ali (doubtful), out; S Jyquis Thomas (undisclosed), doubtful; S Khiry Lucas (undisclosed), questionable; UConn — LB Connor Freeborn (leg), out; C Dan Oak (undisclosed), out; LG Tommy Hopkins (leg), out.

ther connections: UConn has 10 players from Pennsylvania – TE Alec Bloom (Ligonier), LB Chris Britton (Harrisburg), LB Luke Carrezola (Langhorne), WR Mason Donaldson (Allentown), P Brett Graham (State College), LB Jon Hicks (Palmyra), LB Junior Joseph (Sinking Spring), WR Brian Lemelle (Harrisburg), DL Kevin Murphy(Westchester). Temple has three players from Connecticut – QB Logan Marchi (Bristol), OL Jaelin Robinson (New Haven), WR Isaiah Wright (West Hartford). Wright, a freshman, is third on the team in rushing with 174 yards on 32 carries.

Reaction Score
Little disappointed on the offense comment. On offense we can do what the players we have can do.

That's crap. Especially from him.

If shirreffs isn't progressing, time for a change.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Temple at UConn football: 5 things to watch

>>2. At a loss: Only four FBS teams have given up more tackles for loss than the 69 allowed by the Huskies. Temple senior Haason Reddick is the national leader with 16.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, which could be a recipe for failure. Reddick only had two tackles and one tackle for loss in last year’s game against the Huskies. Keeping him from living in the backfield is of paramount importance.<<

Throw in the #116 ranking for sacks allowed @ 25 through 9 games and...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The grief Bob is getting is completely deserved but, unlike PP who I hated for mailing it in I feel bad for Bob. I want him to succeed. I believe that he believes that fortune cookie word salad that comes out of his mouth every week. I believe that he works really hard. The results are just not there and that is the problem. My fear is that the players might tune him out. My other fear is that he is not a HC.

C'mon Bob send us to Boston with some hope and come back needing a win vs. Tulane to go bowling.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The grief Bob is getting is completely deserved but, unlike PP who I hated for mailing it in I feel bad for Bob. I want him to succeed. I believe that he believes that fortune cookie word salad that comes out of his mouth every week. I believe that he works really hard. The results are just not there and that is the problem. My fear is that the players might tune him out. My other fear is that he is not a HC.

C'mon Bob send us to Boston with some hope and come back needing a win vs. Tulane to go bowling.

This is exactly how I feel. I met BD--he's a really nice guy. Crazy as the day is long, but really nice. He works hard and I think he genuinely cares about his players. It sucks watching his ship sink.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Temple at UConn football: 5 things to watch

>>2. At a loss: Only four FBS teams have given up more tackles for loss than the 69 allowed by the Huskies. Temple senior Haason Reddick is the national leader with 16.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, which could be a recipe for failure. Reddick only had two tackles and one tackle for loss in last year’s game against the Huskies. Keeping him from living in the backfield is of paramount importance.<<

Throw in the #116 ranking for sacks allowed @ 25 through 9 games and...

Fuller:Temple presents challenge for new UConn offensive coordinator David Corley

Reaction Score
The "no comments" in the Day's comments section says it all--apathy.

Reaction Score

I think you hit it. I really want the guy to succeed. he is working really hard, he's likeable but he is also way over his head. When he gets dumped I can see him going back as a DC somewhere for a couple of years then maybe a head coach at Fordham or Delaware or someplace where he will be moderately successful.

Reaction Score
jake byczko@Jakebyczko 1 hour ago
UConn game tonight #BeatTemple

2017 LB/DE Commit from Lawrence Academy in MA

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What is the over and under on how many time Diaco charges on to the field clapping his hands?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
"Fortune cookie word salad" going into the lexicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom