Game Week - UConn @ SMU (Saturday 9/30/2017 @ 4p ET on ESPNews) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ SMU (Saturday 9/30/2017 @ 4p ET on ESPNews)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tackling was a problem but it was secondary. The bigger issue was that we couldn't/didn't cover anybody. I've never seem more guys open. D-backs were 20 yards off their men on 3rd and long. #27 was forever chasing his man and #1 got beaten all day long. Both have been demoted and both deserved to be. Yes you need to tackle but it is good to cover somebody.

My hope is that at some point things click on the defense.

Understood. But in that ECU game, particularly in the first 1/2, there were several occasions where we had a defensive play to limit the damage only to watch the ECU player break one, two or even three tackles to dance their way to a first down or turn nothing into something. I agree we can't cover, but if we could tackle, we might have a W last weekend. I think improved tackling might be something this team could achieve ahead of better pass defense...but I'd take either one.

We must make SMU punt this Saturday. Not going to be easy.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Understood. But in that ECU game, particularly in the first 1/2, there were several occasions where we had a defensive play to limit the damage only to watch the ECU player break one, two or even three tackles to dance their way to a first down or turn nothing into something. I agree we can't cover, but if we could tackle, we might have a W last weekend. I think improved tackling might be something this team could achieve ahead of better pass defense...but I'd take either one.

We must make SMU punt this Saturday. Not going to be easy.
Improved tacking, yes. Opposing ball carriers seem to just bump into our defenders and then take off toward the end zone.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is Directv not showing the UConn vs. SMU game on ESPN News at 4:00 pm?

Channel 207 has something else

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is Directv not showing the UConn vs. SMU game on ESPN News at 4:00 pm?

Channel 207 has something else
I have the same problem on Fios. The game must be on, but that intern in charge of updating the tv schedule has dropped the ball. Bet he's from Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Improved tacking, yes. Opposing ball carriers seem to just bump into our defenders and then take off toward the end zone.
No real long runs. I think the longest one they had was 14 yards. I thought it was more runs after catch but I attribute some of the bad tackling there to guys trying to close on wide open receivers and taking bad angles or just getting there way too late. In any case the defense is a complete mess at this point and while I hope it comes together I don't exactly see how it happens this year. Which worries me a lot.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No real long runs. I think the longest one they had was 14 yards. I thought it was more runs after catch but I attribute some of the bad tackling there to guys trying to close on wide open receivers and taking bad angles or just getting there way too late. In any case the defense is a complete mess at this point and while I hope it comes together I don't exactly see how it happens this year. Which worries me a lot.

Well, there have been a lot of good throws from opposing QBs. In all three games, the opposition QB has displayed a pretty strong and accurate arm.

Our DBs struggle with coverage, but in some instances the QB has a comfortable pocket and the plain ability to hit a dime (some throws are just indefensible). I do think some of our DBs just aren't practiced enough at seeing the ball. Too many plays where they couldn't pick up the ball in flight to bat it down. They just dont know its coming or have any idea where it is.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yes, it was YAC.

Reaction Score
ESPNNews is not currently listing the game for tomorrow at 4:00. No way to DVR.
True for Optimum too. As I surmise from HH's post here, must be a thing ESPN needs to change from their end. I hope they do. I DVR every game for a rewatch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True for Optimum too. As I surmise from HH's post here, must be a thing ESPN needs to change from their end. I hope they do. I DVR every game for a rewatch.

I'm on Fios in metro Boston. Definitely seems an espn thing. I guess I will just record everything in that 3 hour time slot. I have to take 6 HS kids out to a movie and dinner before their first ever HS dance. Dad stuff.

Reaction Score
Cable vision is showing no game at 4. I checked watchespn and it has the game on espnnews at 4 tho.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
An issue for me is if I want to save the entire game window, I have to save until 9:00. That's a lot of DVR time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm on Fios in metro Boston. Definitely seems an espn thing. I guess I will just record everything in that 3 hour time slot. I have to take 6 HS kids out to a movie and dinner before their first ever HS dance. Dad stuff.
I've got my dvr set to record everything in that time slot. Hopefully this works out.

Reaction Score
The Frontier guide has it listed on ESPNNews 4-7pm now. Hadn't checked before this morning but it's definitely showing up now.

Reaction Score
Need to record game today but it does not appear on Direct TV. Ch 207 Direct TV not showing game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom