F - Corny Thompson
F - Rod Sellers

Bench:

Taliek Brown
Niels Giffey

Reaction Score
Tzznandrew on why his team should win:

General Thoughts

I looked to find versatile players who could play multiple positions, score, but could also play great defense.

Kemba Walker had the greatest Husky season ever on offense and as a leader, taking a bunch of freshmen and sophomores to the title, but he also played great defense. He led the Big East in total steals in 2010 and 2011, and was second in the Big East in Defensive Win Shares. And that was despite the fact that he needed to rest on defense some because of the scoring load on him in 2011. But with a reduced offensive demand, Kemba can continue to play great defense. And consider how amazed we were at Shabazz leading the team in rebounding…Kemba averaged 5.4rpg with some solid rebounders, which is only 0.5 than Napier did with weak rebounders.

Tony Hanson is my starting 2G. His offense is fantastic, and he is a big (6’5”) guard who can score from all over the floor and rebound incredibly well for his position (10.5rpg). Defense was not his specialty, though, and when confronted with a guard who can score at will, I can bring in Taliek Brown. Not only can Brown run the offense and allow Kemba to play the 2G (like in 2011—not the first parallel), it also replicates the success of our greatest championship teams, with 2 PGs on the floor simultaneously. Also, Taliek is probably the third best on the ball defender from the PG position, behind only Ricky Moore and Ryan Boatright. Ben Gordon was his backcourt mate—and he was a terrible defender. Yet Taliek took on opposing teams’ lead guards and gave them a lot of trouble.

When I play a backcourt of Kemba and Hanson, it will be near impossible to defend me. When I play a backcourt of Taliek and Kemba, it will be very difficult to score against me, and futile to press me.

Rudy Gay at the 3 provided scoring, rebounding, and defense. He was a Second Team All-America on a team stacked with offensive options and rebounders, yet he was their leading scorer and their third leading rebounder. Additionally, he was Top 10 in the Big East in steals and blocks. He was fourth in the Big East in defensive win shares in 2006. He’s also a consummate team player, willing to score or defer when needed. People knocked him for not being a great leader, but on my team he can just play, since Kemba can take care of that. His size and length means he could play the 4 in a pinch, and his on the ball defense, especially when paired with Taliek and Kemba, will make it verydifficult to get to the rack.

Corny Thompson at the 4 provides an inside presence and another rebounder. He also played some time at the 5 in his career, so if I neededhim to do so, I could; but that is admittedly not ideal. He was never a great athlete (although good enough where he chose us over North Carolina…and would have been on Worthy and Jordan’s 1982 team if he went there), but he could score down low quite well. He was like a poor man’s Al Jefferson. He also could hit foul line jumpers, which means that my team can get great spacing. For a 4, he was a solid passer, too, averaging 1.7apg in 1982. DeAndre Daniels, for instance, averaged 0.4 this year; on the 1999 team, Freeman averaged 0.8 (KFree played a lot of the 3 as a senior, so I picked the last year he played the 4); Josh Boone 0.6 in 2006. He compares favorably to a player like Charlie Villanueva, with a better interior game and worse range. But, like Villanueva he isn’t a great defender. Thankfully I have answers for that.

Niels Giffey comes off the bench and brings not only the greatest 3-point shooting season in UConn history with him. 48% beats all others, and he did it with a longer 3pt line, which moved back a foot before 2009. Keep that in mind when evaluating players’ shooting pre-2009. Additionally, he—like all my players—is unselfish and willing to do whatever is needed. Want him to guard a perimeter player? Fine. Want him to guard Julius Randle (and other than one or two players, there are no UConn bigs in Randle’s league), sure. He’ll stop them both whether coming off the bench or starting. One of the best teammates ever, and his defense is fantastic.

Rod Sellers provides meanness to my team, and an intimidation factor. In 1992 he was Third Team All-Big East. He scored well enough down low to keep defenses honest, and his man-to-man defense down low is among the best for our centers—certainly below a player like Okafor, but because he was not a shot blocker, he specialized in keeping players in front of him, and in ball denial. He was instrumental in slowing down Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, and other great interior players.

So my team rebounds well from all over the floor, my starting lineup can score with the best teams in this field yet still play defense, and, when I play Taliek-Kemba-Rudy-Niels-Sellers, my on the ball defense is akin to (and probably better than) the 2011 that shut down all sorts of teams. Remember, that team didn’t have a super-rim protector. They had great on the ball defense that kept teams out of the paint, and they were quick with recovery. My team can do that.

Why I Should Win

1. Defense. He has good interior defense with Boone, and Daniels plays solid man, although I think Corny Thompson can score because of his size on Daniels down low. But it is not overwhelming. But his perimeter defense is not good. Mouring is a terrible defender who my guys will kill while he is in. Ray was not a good on the ball defender. He got most of his steals playing in a press. Similarly, Tate and Smitty were solid, but not great defenders. My guys are going to be able to get in the lane and score. A lot. Additionally, while he has two great scorers on the perimeter—I can’t take away from Smitty or Ray, both were fantastic players—my guys will make it tougher for them than his guys will for me.

2. Better Half Court Offense. In tough games, we know things slow down. Not only did UConn’s pressing teams max out at the E8, but one of them (1990) needed a miracle heave to get there. Additionally, it’s hard to press a team with two PGs. I’m not worried about getting into a running game, and once in the half court his team will struggle. Both Kemba Walker and Taliek Brown led potent half-court attacks, while Calhoun teams pre-1999 were always killed for stagnating in the half court. He also doesn’t have a credible interior threat that I really have to worry about, while I have Thompson.

3. Toughness. Taliek, Kemba, Niels, and Sellers have it in spades. You don’t mess with them. A player like Josh Boone, or DeAndre Daniels, or Albert Mouring, could get intimidated by a tough defender and disappear. I distinctly remember Josh Boone falling apart when confronted with the toughness of George Mason’s interior. Rod Sellers can get into his head, and will. And my rebounding is really strong from all my starting positions, while Smith is an average rebounding guard and Daniels is a below-average rebounding PF. And playing AO with Josh Boone would not be a good idea: neither of them has the foul-line jumper needed for spacing, and we saw what a disaster two similar players in the paint were in 2012, when Drummond and Oriakhi played side by side. So it would be really hard to upgraded the team rebounding.

4. Consistency. Which DeAndre Daniels is he getting? The one who played great against Florida, or the one who played mediocre against Kentucky? Which Oriakhi is he getting? The one who dominated Texas, or the one who disappeared countless times. And AO is coming off the bench. We’ve seen that before. I’m not sure he has a leader like Kemba (or even Taliek) who could fix the potential chemistry problems.

A Note on the Pre-Calhoun Players

Many people haven’t seen some of these guys play. Others can add if they want. Let me tell you why their stats translate.

Corny Thompson is easy. He played in the Big East. His career overlapped with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Worthy, etc. in general, and Ewing and Mullen in the Big East. His last year they beat Georgetown at Georgetown…the same team that Jordan beat in the title game. And he was in the league three years: one time he was Second Team All-Big East, the next two he was First Team All-Big East. His stats did decline every year—except his shooting percentages went up. He took fewer shots, and deferred to other players as they improved (like Mike McKay)…not because he got worse. He didn’t improve as much as he could have because Perno sucked, but he was a very very good player, and played in the Big East when it was really really good.

Tony Hanson is perhaps a harder sell. Despite PcketknfNiels dismissing him in another thread as “a 6’5” Samoan-looking dude” (not sure the relevance), he played in the NCAA tournament, won a game there, made the All-Regional Team—which suggests coaches from other teams outside the Yankee Conference saw how good he was—made an NABC All-America Team (fifth, sure, but it’s still really good), and is our Third Leading Scorer all-time. And the NCAA was getting deeper in its talent then. His career overlapped with Larry Bird, David Thompson, Bill Walton, Len Elmore, Adrian Dantley, John Lucas, Scott May, Bernard King, Phil Ford, Bill Cartwright, Cedric Maxwell, Mychal Thompson.

PcketknfNiels seems to think his lack of an NBA career is relevant. It’s not. One, it’s outside of the scope of this competition. Second, the league had fewer teams, so it was harder for a player to stick on a team. Third, all sorts of great college players have games that don’t translate well into the NBA, but teams are more inclined to keep them because it’s a much bigger monetary investment now than it was then. Adam Morrison was great in college, and would have likely been cut much sooner if he wasn’t owed millions of dollars.

Reaction Score
*Note, before you read anything I say about my team, I'd like to point out what Tzz had to say about Ray Allen's greatness*

We'll just disagree on this. His 1996 team played at a fast pace (averaged 82.6 ppg), and yet held opponents to only 64.7 ppg--good for 33rd in the nation...not adjusting for pace. The team could play D, and that meant some of it fell on Ray.

But he averaged 23.4 ppg while shooting 47% from the field, and 46% from 3. Also, add in that he averaged 6.5 rebounds per game (second on the team) and 3.5 apg, despite playing next to Doron Sheffer. He was also second on the team in steals, right behind Sheffer. So he was first or second on the team in all those categories. That season is unreal.

Well, considering Ray shot 47% from the field, and 46% from 3, compared to Shabazz's 43% and 40.5%, and not entirely convinced. He likely would, because he got to the line 238 times compared to Ray's 147...but remember that when you are fouled, it takes away a shot attempt. In all likelihood, they're actual attempts were a little closer (Shabazz averaged about 6 FTs per game, to Ray's 4).

The other thing to keep in mind is that Ray averaged that many rebounds despite having someone on the team average 9.5 rpg. And Ray's job was to score, not to distribute, so it is no surprise that Shabazz averaged more assists, although Ray was second on the team.

Ray is the best player that UConn has produced.

I think Ray had two better college seasons than Shabazz's best--which is no discredit, in my opinion, to Shabazz's greatness. If I'm making a team to play a game, I can't leave off Ray Allen. His team didn't win a title, but that wasn't because of him. He was just unreal in college.

You disagree. I get it. I think Ray had an unbelievable season in 1996. The teams they played against were also, to be fair, better. Players stayed in college longer then, and college basketball was much more talented.

Taken from the all time UConn startling lineup thread, which can be seen here: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/alltime-uconn-starting-lineup.58643/page-2#post-934773

Now that you know that my opponent considers Ray to be the best player UConn ever produced, lets get to my team and the matchups:

My Team:
Tate George (9.9PPG 5.6APG 51%FG 39%3P 83%FT) Tate is 2nd on the UConn all time assist chart and has a more than respectable 2.33 assist:turnover ratio. He's also a very good shooter that gives me yet another option for floor spacing, and his FT's were a nice selling point, because as we've seen this year, having a team that can knock down their FT's at the end of close games (like most of these figure to be) is absolutely vital. Tate's Role on this team will be that of a steady PG, he doesn't need to be dominant with the ball like Kemba or Bazz, nor does he need to be flashy like Marcus. Considering Ray, Smith, and Daniels can all create for themselves, all he needs to do is handle the ball in half court situations and get it to one of my studs.

Chris Smith (21.2PPG 3.7APG 1.2SPG 41%FG 42%3P 80%FT)
Getting Ray in the first round, and then being able to get UConn's leading career scorer in the 2nd round (who at least statistically is basically Ray Jr) was the best possible outcome I could have hoped for. While Ray gives me 2/3 versatility, Smith can be either my starting 2 guard, or at times my lead guard along with Ray. Smith, like Ray is a guy who can score nearly at will, and like Ray, is a guy I can be confident wont wear down throughout a game while playing the frenetic style my team will employ. Unfortunately there aren't a great wealth of in depth stats from the early 90's era which he played, everything I've ever seen/heard/read holds him in pretty solid defensive regard. Smith (and Daniels) is my insurance policy against anyone doubling Ray at any time, I simply have way too many offensive threats on the floor, both creating and shooting, for anyone to be able to overextend on Ray.

Ray Allen (23.4PPG 6.5RPG 3.3APG 1.7SPG 47%FG 46%3P 81%FT)
The most talented offensive player in UConn history (Per 40 minutes he holds the highest UConn average ever at 29.8, which coming from a guy who's played 38+ minutes 7 times in his NBA career, and that the 1995-96 Huskies won games by an average margin of 17.9 PPG means he was resting early a lot), and certainly the best shooter in the history of basketball. College Ray could do more than just shoot, he was a great athlete during this time capable of putting the ball on the floor, as well as being 2nd on his team in both rebounds and assists. Unguardable, Ray is going to fill it up against any defender we've ever had (with the possible exception of Moore, who might be able to slow him down a little).

DeAndre Daniels (13.1PPG 6RPG 1.4BPG 49%FG 41%3P 79%FT) Over the past 2 seasons, when Daniels has been on his game, he was the best player on a team that included Shabazz Napier. Without his epic performances during our latest title run (20-10 against Florida, 27-10 against ISU, 18pts against St Joes) we wouldn't have had the opportunity to celebrate #4 this year. Beyond that, Daniels skill set makes him a great fit for my team, as he gives me both versatility at either the 3-4 and gives me another great shooter to space defenses helping to open up driving lanes for my guard tandem while also making teams struggle to keep up with 3 different guys who can score in bunches from just about anywhere on the floor. He's also one of the few players with the versatility and the size/athletic chops to be able to effectively guard Caron/Rudy from the perimeter. If he drops a monster game, my team becomes unbeatable.

Josh Boone (12.4PPG 8.4RPG 2.9BPG 61%FG 66%FT) Behind Okafor and Thabeet, Boone in 05 was the next best rim protector that Uconn has ever had. Boone offers me size and a defensive presence, without having to sacrifice athleticism or mobility to do so. That last line is one of the main reasons I picked him, I value how my picks will fit together and work in a team setting, and grabbing Boone to serve as my main interior presence allows me to still run the floor and keep a fast pace with this team.

Bench:

Albert Mouring (13.9PPG 3.5RPG 2.3APG 48%3P 84%FT) One of the best 3pt and FT shooters in UConn history. Having another player who can come in situationally either at the end of a close game (if I'm up his FT% helps tremendously, if I'm down his 3P% help tremendously), whenever Ray/Smith need a brief rest, but he also gives me the ability to play Smith at the point for stretches and having an absolutely devastating shooting lineup of Smith Mouring Ray Daniels where the opposing team's only hope of stopping is to get the ball away from my team before half court. Given what was left on the board, Mouring gives me the best complimentary piece to what the philosophy of my team is.

Alex Oriakhi (9.6PPG 8.7RPG 1.6BPG 50%FG 63%FT) On my team to shore up my front line with one of the toughest (remember, this is 2011 Alex), most physically imposing bruisers in UConn history. Oriakhi was really the only true big man we had on the 2011 title team (Chuck Okwandu was legitimately our 2nd best big that year, let that sink in) and he more than held his own against deeper, more experienced front lines erupting for 15pts-17rbd and 18-11 on consecutive nights against Michigan State and Kentucky in the Maui, to a huge 21 rebound showing @Texas and consistent double digit rebound games thereafter. Oriakhi will be my glass eating tough guy off the bench, and there aren't many players in UConn history that can match up with Alex physically or from a toughness standpoint during his 2011 run.

Why I win:

Too much scoring, too much athleticism, too much versatility, opponent has no rim protection.

Perimeter:

Funny how Tzz doesn't believe in pressing with 7 man rosters, because that's the only way this game stays close. In a half court set Kemba or Taliek wouldn't be able to pressure Tate enough to get him to cough the ball up. Tate's job is just to be a steady ball handler in a half court set and get the ball to either Ray or Smith so they can shoot or drive. Kemba is good defensively and Taliek is solid, but with no rim protection to cover them, they would have to sag off on any of my guards to defend against penetration, of course if you sag on Ray or Smith that just gives them the space they need to hit 3's, and since they do so at a high clip it really becomes a no win for Tzz defensively. Do you face up against Smith or Ray and allow them to get by you, where the likes of Rod Sellers aren't going to be agile or athletic enough to defend the rim? Or do you sag off the best shooter in the history of basketball, as well as another guy who hits 3's at a 42% clip?

Defensively, I can rotate Smith and Tate on Kemba, both of whom are solid defenders. If Kemba gets by either of them, I have Boone to protect the rim (4 blocks per 40 in 05), and, given Kemba's greatness, his lack of size did make him susceptible to having his shot blocked inside. Hanson is going to be able to contribute almost nothing, he put up huge stats at 6'5 playing far too much on the interior (FG% and Rebound numbers confirm), and we found his athleticism couldn't cut it against higher level opposition as he failed to even play 1 game in the NBA (for comparison, even KEA played 50 games in the NBA).

I can leave Ray on Rudy, or Switch to Daniels if needed. Rudy wasn't great at penetrating on his own, and is only an average shooter from deep. Daniels is one of the best candidates in UConn history to defend a guy like Rudy (or Caron) because of his size, quickness, and athleticism. On the other end, Rudy has a size advantage, but Ray can easily get by him where, again, Tzz has no rim protection to stop me from penetrating at will. If Rod oversold to help on Ray/Smith penetration then either of them can make an easy dish to Boone for a quick layup/dunk. If Tzz tries defending Ray using Taliek, Ray has the size to shoot over him consistently, and can still drive past him.

Interior:

Inside I have advantages in size, quickness, athleticism, rebounding, rim protection, and overall "toughness" is a wash. His bigs wont be able to consistently score on mine, and my bigs should clean up on the offensive glass.

Daniels will force Corny to play outside his comfort zone and stretch him away from the interior, letting the rest of my team get inside and go to work on poor Rod Sellers. Corny isn't fast enough to rotate back on any penetration, so his only other option would be to sag completely off of Daniels and basically give him wide open shots from the perimeter all game. We've seen over the past 2 seasons that when Daniels is wide open, he hits at a good clip (41% this year), and usually hitting a couple open 3's is what starts one his torrid games where he'd be the best player on the floor on a team that had Shabazz. I don't even need him to have a monster game though, his presence alone will force Tzz's team to leave Sellers alone down low, or if Corny stays, then Daniels gets wide open looks all game.

Boone's quickness and athleticism advantages more than negate anything Sellers offers offensively in the post, Sellers on Boone is a blocked shot or offensive foul waiting to happen. Defensively Boone is a much rangier rebounder than Sellers, meaning he's able to more quickly get to the ball in a variety of places, Sellers needs the ball to come right to him. Boone's quickness also allows him to recover and get into position to contest anything Kemba tries putting up on penetration, and like Daniels his presence alone will affect some of Kemba's decision making in those situations.

Oriakhi is a total banger who I'd play primarily to rest Boone, but could play them both together if desired and/or necessary. Boone has the mobility to play around Oriakhi down low, and while they might congest the interior, that works to my advantage on defense more than hurts me offensively considering my shooting strength.

Overall:

My team has better overall versatility as well, I can bring in Oriakhi to rest Boone and lose nothing beyond shot blocking, while adding offensive rebounding prowess and greater physicality, Mouring can come in to rest Ray/Smith for a couple minutes and allows me to continue to space the floor with another great shooting threat. I can also slide Smith to PG when Tate needs a rest, and he has the ball skills to make passes to all the offensive weapons on the floor. If size proves to be an issue, I can let Tate/Smith rotate in and out at PG, play Ray at the 2, slide Daniels to the 3, and let Oriakhi and Boone clean up the glass and control anything he might try to do offensively either getting inside or if either of his bigs try to post up.

Bottom line, while Tzz is overselling his team's defensive ability some, he does have solid defenders at the 1-3, but he crippled himself by taking 2 shorter, unathletic bigs, whenever any of my perimeter players gets by a defender, he has nothing inside to stop me from finishing. Sellers will both be worn out trying to keep on Boone/Oriakhi while Corny is being pulled out of the paint to guard Daniels and his shooting ability. His perimeter defense wont be able to make up for the lack of any paint presence, especially not against Ray, Smith, Daniels. His team also can't defend me shooting FT's, and 5 of my 7 players shoot over 80%, which means I'll be netting a ton of free points whenever Sellers or Corny (who are both slow footed players) rotate late to try and get in front of any penetration. Ray and Smith are also very good at moving off the ball, and will run their defenders ragged trying to keep up considering nobody will be able to come off any of my other players to help, and if they do, then they're going to pay with my great shooters. I can also try to push the ball offensively as well, as Hanson/Corny/Sellers wouldn't be able to keep up in a fast paced game.

Defensively, Kemba will get his, but Hanson doesn't have the athleticism to run with my guys, and Ray/Daniels can switch off Rudy (who while good, isn't a huge offensive threat) to keep him from getting hot, and my Rim protection will save me some buckets anytime one of his guards gets by mine. Contrary to what Tzz claims, I can (and will) also utilize the press as it works to my athletic advantage, and forces him to bring Taliek in who contributes nothing offensively. I can press with my guards and Daniels and Boone/Oriakhi will beat his bigs down the floor, so he won't have any easy options there. As Tzz also mentioned, Tate/Ray/Smith are all great at intercepting longer passes, and any turnover I get should be easy points.

Tzz has a decent team, and I respect how hard he's trying to argue for it, but he doesn't have the horses to run with mine, and he doesn't have the interior defense to stop me from scoring at will. His perimeter defense is better than mine, but I both have a true rim protector, and much better perimeter offense. My team is the best scoring/shooting/ft team in the field, and no team without interior defense stands a chance. Also, my team's FT shooting will be a factor in any closely decided matchup, which needs to be taken into consideration. 5 of my 7 shoot 80% or better from the line, we saw this year how important that is.

The case against Hanson/Corny:

Tony Hanson put up big stats in college, but this came in a mid 70's era when UConn was playing in the Yankee conferece. Upon first glance his numbers are impressive (25-10, 50% FG), but anyone who averages 10 rebounds a game has to be near the rim in order to do so, which means 6'5 Tony Hanson made his living on the inside defensively, and between his defensive positioning and his 50% FG, it's likely he played inside on offense as well. Hanson was also the 50th overall selection (back when the draft had 170 picks) in a particularly horrible 1977 NBA draft (Kent Benson was the #1 pick, and Bernard King was probably the best player out of this draft). The New Orleans Jazz were the team that selected him, and were a newly formed expansion team that had only been in existence for 3 years prior. The Jazz were so desperate for talent that year that they actually chose a female player who declined to even try out for the team, yet Hanson was cut before even playing 1 game with this newly formed franchise. How would a 6'5 interior player who got cut before ever seeing an NBA court by an expansion team that drafted a female player in the same draft fare against guys like Boone and Oriakhi? You be the judge.

I have slightly more respect for Corny, as he was still a solid player in the Big East. It cannot be denied however, that his best season by far (and the one Tzz is using for this exercise) came pre-Big East. Upon reaching the Big East, Corny's scoring numbers dropped considerably (even if his FG% didn't necessarily), but so did his rebounding numbers. Corny was also considered unathletic even in that era, someone who was scrappy rather than having any great physical traits, and while the 80's were more credible for basketball than the era Tony Hanson played in, it can't be denied that the overall quality of athlete has risen since then. How would an unathletic 6-8, 225 pounder do against Boone or Oriakhi, or more importantly, with Daniels pulling him outside and guys like Ray/Smith abusing Sellers on penetration? You be the judge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Champs left this out:

Starters

Kemba Walker, 2011 – 23.5ppg, 4.5apg, 5.4rpg, 1.9spg, 0.2bpg
Tony Hanson, 1977 – 26.0ppg, 2.9apg, 10.5rpg, [no steals or blocks stats]
Rudy Gay, 2006 – 15.2ppg, 2.1apg, 6.4rpg, 1.8spg, 1.6bpg
Corny Thompson, 1982 – 14.1ppg, 1.7apg, 8.3rpg, 1.5spg, 0.5bpg
Rod Sellers, 1992 – 12.3ppg, 1.4apg, 8.7rpg, 0.6spg, 0.4spg
Bench

Taliek Brown, 2004 – 6.3ppg, 6.5apg, 3.8rpg, 1.1spg, 0.2bpg
Niels Giffey, 2014 – 8.4ppg, 0.8apg, 3.8rpg, 0.7spg, 0.5bpg

Some other basic thoughts I didn't send to champs:

1. Kemba Walker. I have him, he doesn't. He had the best season of anyone in UConn history, and was a better leader than anyone on PcketknfNiels team. He led a team without the interior presence or defense to a National Title. None of PcketknfNiels' guards led a team to a title. I think his leadership, scoring, playmaking, defense, and toughness is unmatched by anyone on the other team, and that should be taken into consideration.

2. Per 40 minute stats are pretty useless, especially when evaluating early Calhoun players. There's generally a reason why a player doesn't play 40 minutes. Per 40 minutes, Brimah averaged 10 and 7, but we know he isn't getting that amount of time because of foul trouble. Per 40 minutes, Lenehan averages 8.5 and 7. But we know Allen was much better than them. Bur remember, pace matters. Allen played only 31.5 minutes per game because they team played incredibly fast. It meant that there were more possessions in those 32 minutes than many teams in today's game have in the 40. So any per 40 stat has to be put in perspective. We can't get pace adjusted stats for some of these mid-90s players, but those would matter. Per 40 does not.

3. Rim protectors. 1999, 2011, 2014. What do those 3 title teams have in common? They played tough man to man and did not need to rely on rim protectors for defense. In 2014, there was Brimah, but he only played 16 minutes per game, and was frequently not on the floor in key moments (St. Joe's excepted). Neither did other very good UConn teams--1990, 1995, 1996, 2002.

While I'd love to have Emeka, and Thabeet would be a nice edition, I'm winning the way UConn teams traditionally do: tough, man-to-man defense with a couple of ball handlers and scorers, and players willing to sublimate their ego for the greater good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tzz in this one! ;)…..sorry it's close, real close but slight edge with Tony H and Corny!!

Reaction Score
SellersSmashsLaettner.jpg

Reaction Score
Champs left this out:

Some other basic thoughts

1. Kemba Walker. I have him, he doesn't. He had the best season of anyone in UConn history, and was a better leader than anyone on PcketknfNiels team. He led a team without the interior presence or defense to a National Title. None of PcketknfNiels' guards led a team to a title. I think his leadership, scoring, playmaking, defense, and toughness is unmatched by anyone on the other team, and that should be taken into consideration.

1. RE best season: Your own post that I pulled from the other thread say differently. In your own words Ray>Kemba You also can't really quantify leadership in a hypothetical such as this, 2004 won and was our best title team without a Bazz/Kemba/KEA leader.

2. Ray, Smith, and Tate didn't win a title, but Smith/Tate were the guards on the "dream season" and led UConn to much higher heights than anything previous. Ray's teams were also dominant. Kemba's season was great, yes, but no way does that 2011 team win a title in the era which Ray/Smith/Tate played, which you said yourself.

2. Per 40 minute stats are pretty useless, especially when evaluating early Calhoun players. There's generally a reason why a player doesn't play 40 minutes. Per 40 minutes, Brimah averaged 10 and 7, but we know he isn't getting that amount of time because of foul trouble. Per 40 minutes, Lenehan averages 8.5 and 7. But we know Allen was much better than them. Bur remember, pace matters. Allen played only 31.5 minutes per game because they team played incredibly fast. It meant that there were more possessions in those 32 minutes than many teams in today's game have in the 40. So any per 40 stat has to be put in perspective. We can't get pace adjusted stats for some of these mid-90s players, but those would matter. Per 40 does not.

1. Per 40 are situationally useful. Smith played 35+ MPG on pressure teams, Ray "only" played 31.5 MPG because his team won their games by an average of 18 PPG, which means he was sitting at the end of a lot of games. Furthermore, Ray played 38+ minutes 7 times in his NBA career, including 40.4 in his 2nd year out of college

2. Besides that, stud players tend to play more in tournament/knockout games anyways, which is what this is. We're not talking about Rutgers in Mid-January here.

3. Rim protectors. 1999, 2011, 2014. What do those 3 title teams have in common? They played tough man to man and did not need to rely on rim protectors for defense. In 2014, there was Brimah, but he only played 16 minutes per game, and was frequently not on the floor in key moments (St. Joe's excepted). Neither did other very good UConn teams--1990, 1995, 1996, 2002.

1. 2004 is the best UConn team. Why? Okafor. Who was the number 1 pick in both drafts? Okafor. What is Okafor's defining trait? Rim protection. Hell, what was UConn's defining trait for the better part of the 2000's? That's right, rim protection.

While I'd love to have Emeka, and Thabeet would be a nice edition, I'm winning the way UConn teams traditionally do: tough, man-to-man defense with a couple of ball handlers and scorers, and players willing to sublimate their ego for the greater good.

I'm sorry, with all due respect to Kemba, but you cannot be serious acting like Kemba and Tony Hanson (your other starter) can defend Ray/Smith. You don't have anyone to defend Daniels either. Kemba will get his 20+, but beyond that you don't have the horses to keep up with me by any possible interpretation of the phrase.

Reaction Score
That was some awesome digging in the crate for the Tzz quotes on Ray. I think a lot of this match up comes down to who Tony Hanson actually is. I wish there was footage. I think I would like Tzz's defensive matchup's against you more if he put Niels in for Corny.

Reaction Score
You'll notice I was comparing Ray to Shabazz. Never to Kemba.

I think the best individual seasons goes something like this:

1. Kemba
2. Emeka
3. Donyell
4. Ray or Rip
5. Ray or Rip
6. Shabazz

I think bewteen Okafor and Taliek the 2004 team had great leadership. But, more to the point, I like 1999 best. I don't think you're beating them. Winning a title with a rim protector happened once in UConn history. Winning a title with strong, team-based man-to-man happened 3 times.

Some teams have strong perimeter threats, and some teams have strong interior threats. Your team is primarily a perimeter team. Provided that Tate George stays out of foul trouble (and Kemba drew the most fouls in the NCAA in 2011, so good luck) and you are able to keep your true distributor on the court (Chris Smith averaged fewer assists per game when he led the team than Ben Gordon did in 2004, despite being the primary handler--a whole assist less), I can play Taliek-Kemba-Rudy, and that would slow your offense down enough. As for Daniels, if he shows up (a big if), I can stick Giffey on him (who slowed down the much stronger Randle), or I can stick Sellers on him, since Boone is not a low-post threat I'm concerned about.

Reaction Score
That was some awesome digging in the crate for the Tzz quotes on Ray. I think a lot of this match up comes down to who Tony Hanson actually is. I wish there was footage. I think I would like Tzz's defensive matchup's against you more if he put Niels in for Corny.
In fact, I think Niels would get a lot of time on defense against Daniels. You figure Boone is not so strong an offensive threat that I'm overly worried about him scoring on me, so I can either keep Sellers on him, or I can play stick Corny on him defensively and not worry too much.

As for the quote, we were discussing Shabazz vs. Ray. I pick Ray all day there. If we're talking Ray vs. Kemba, I think we're having a different conversation. And you can find me all over the place talking about Kemba being the best.

Me loving Ray Allen does not mean I think Ray Allen had a better season in 1996 than Kemba did in 2011. Nor does it mean he would beat me.

Reaction Score

I'll like even though you already voted for him. I think you'd need at least 1 of Moore/Boat against my 1-2 punch. Hanson is his starter too so idk how he figures that helps his defense.

Reaction Score
I'll like even though you already voted for him. I think you'd need at least 1 of Moore/Boat against my 1-2 punch. Hanson is his starter too so idk how he figures that helps his defense.

This is probably the toughest matchup for me to pick because you have comparable teams and you have both taken the spirit of the tournament to the next level and provided a lot of good content throughout this dull period.

I went back and forth but the more I think about Hanson, the more I think Tzz's team is too slow to D your spread offense. I probably should have waited til tonight to vote but at least I can give your team props in the comments. Allen, Smith and DD would probably make it rain all game.

Reaction Score
You'll notice I was comparing Ray to Shabazz. Never to Kemba.

I think the best individual seasons goes something like this:

1. Kemba
2. Emeka
3. Donyell
4. Ray or Rip
5. Ray or Rip
6. Shabazz

I think bewteen Okafor and Taliek the 2004 team had great leadership. But, more to the point, I like 1999 best. I don't think you're beating them. Winning a title with a rim protector happened once in UConn history. Winning a title with strong, team-based man-to-man happened 3 times.

Some teams have strong perimeter threats, and some teams have strong interior threats. Your team is primarily a perimeter team. Provided that Tate George stays out of foul trouble (and Kemba drew the most fouls in the NCAA in 2011, so good luck) and you are able to keep your true distributor on the court (Chris Smith averaged fewer assists per game when he led the team than Ben Gordon did in 2004, despite being the primary handler--a whole assist less), I can play Taliek-Kemba-Rudy, and that would slow your offense down enough. As for Daniels, if he shows up (a big if), I can stick Giffey on him (who slowed down the much stronger Randle), or I can stick Sellers on him, since Boone is not a low-post threat I'm concerned about.

Ray is the best player that UConn has produced.

Sorry bud. Can't argue both sides of the fence, you're already on record previously saying that, now you just have a vested interest in trying to rank Kemba as far ahead of Ray as possible.

Calhoun himself has stated that 2004 was his best team, I think I might take his word over yours. 2011 and 2014 don't happen if both teams played in the 90's. Also, with Hanson and your bigs, you're not playing strong defense. Kemba and Rudy were both good defensively, but neither is on the all time pantheon of great UConn defenders. Beyond them you don't have much, but honestly without Ricky or Boat you're not stopping me on the perimeter.

In my original post I said I'd be rotating between Smith and Tate on Kemba, if he gets by either of them I have Boone. My team is perimeter based in that my best players are on the perimeter, but both can penetrate easily on your team and once inside, you have nothing to stop me. Will Sellers play more than 15 minutes in this game before fouling out between my penetrating ability and Corny being pulled out to defend Daniels, or do I just get easy layups every time in? If you want to run Rod out to the perimeter, go ahead, but Boone averaged 12+ on 60% shooting, so he'll easily be able to convert anything in tight. Furthermore, what do you do when Ray, Smith, and Daniels are all running you ragged off the ball, what do you do about my awesome FT shooting? We saw this year how important that was to UConn.

Reaction Score
In fact, I think Niels would get a lot of time on defense against Daniels. You figure Boone is not so strong an offensive threat that I'm overly worried about him scoring on me, so I can either keep Sellers on him, or I can play stick Corny on him defensively and not worry too much.

As for the quote, we were discussing Shabazz vs. Ray. I pick Ray all day there. If we're talking Ray vs. Kemba, I think we're having a different conversation. And you can find me all over the place talking about Kemba being the best.

Me loving Ray Allen does not mean I think Ray Allen had a better season in 1996 than Kemba did in 2011. Nor does it mean he would beat me.

We have play the matchups game all day, but outside of Giff and occasionally Kemba/Rudy, you don't have much shooting. You're not getting much out of your bigs besides rebounding, and since you don't have Ricky or Boat or any deterrent inside you can't stifle my scoring.

Reaction Score
This is probably the toughest matchup for me to pick because you have comparable teams and you have both taken the spirit of the tournament to the next level and provided a lot of good content throughout this dull period.

I went back and forth but the more I think about Hanson, the more I think Tzz's team is too slow to D your spread offense. I probably should have waited til tonight to vote but at least I can give your team props in the comments. Allen, Smith and DD would probably make it rain all game.

We both have guys that are gonna get theirs, the only problem is I have more of those guys. I also have more inside. Kemba's great, but where else is he consistently getting points from? If he plays Hanson he's not quick enough to defend me, if he plays Taliek he's seriously lacking for scoring. What happens in the 5 minutes or so that Kemba has to take a breather? What happens if it's a close game and it's all about shooting/rebounding/ft's? What happens if Daniels has one of his monster games (he'll get off to a good start with Corny on him)? The more I think about it, the more I think Kemba would need to score 40+ for him to have a chance, and that's assuming none of Ray/Smith/Daniels have a huge game.

Just not really sure who stifles my team without having one of the truly marquee perimeter defenders or Oak. Tzz has none of them.

Reaction Score
We both have guys that are gonna get theirs, the only problem is I have more of those guys. I also have more inside. Kemba's great, but where else is he consistently getting points from? If he plays Hanson he's not quick enough to defend me, if he plays Taliek he's seriously lacking for scoring. What happens in the 5 minutes or so that Kemba has to take a breather? What happens if it's a close game and it's all about shooting/rebounding/ft's? What happens if Daniels has one of his monster games (he'll get off to a good start with Corny on him)? The more I think about it, the more I think Kemba would need to score 40+ for him to have a chance, and that's assuming none of Ray/Smith/Daniels have a huge game.

Just not really sure who stifles my team without having one of the truly marquee perimeter defenders or Oak. Tzz has none of them.
Shocker, I disagree. :) I have more scoring from the PF, similar scoring (a little more depending on whether you're taking 2005 or 2006) from the center, and much more scoring at the Point. Hanson and Gay can score as well. I don't think I'll have much trouble scoring, especially since your only plus defenders are Daniels and Boone. My guys will be in the lane a lot, and Kemba can get Boone in foul trouble quickly.

You are underselling the defensive ability of Taliek-Kemba-Gay. All 3 are plus defenders. And, while I won't claim that Taliek was a better defender than Ricky or Boat, he had 2.8 Defensive Win Shares in 2004. Ricky had the same in 1999. Ryan had 2.3 this year. He's the best of the next tier on the ball defenders statistically. But we've debated that back and forth.

As for Daniels, he's the type of player that can go either way. I think Corny is a better player due to his ability to rebound and score in the paint, but Daniels can be really good. If I were getting burned there, I have Giffey. And it's not like Rod Sellers couldn't switch onto him. Sellers was fast. And is there anything that shut Daniels down more than getting physical with him? It's not like Josh Boone or Alex Oriakhi has the post game to make me pay down low. Both were garbage men.

And, as for Hanson--he may not be able to defend Ray or Smitty (no one really can), but they can't defend him. I know we disagree on this, and nothing I or you say will be different than we've said in numerous threads. But, if I were getting killed from the 2 position and not making it up enough on offense, I could bring in Taliek. So this feels like a moot point. A line-up of Tate-Smitty-Allen-Daniels-Boone is getting almost all it's points from the perimeter, and I can guard that as well as it can be. And your team won't slow down Kemba-Hanson-Rudy-Corny. I mean, Rudy is a better scorer than freshman Lamb is (and Sellers is better than AO, and Corny is better on O than any 4 we played/Giffey roughly equal to Scoe), and Kemba won a title with him as our second player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shocker, I disagree. :) I have more scoring from the PF, more scoring at the center, and more scoring at the Point. I don't think I'll have much trouble scoring, especially since your only plus defenders are Daniels and Boone. My guys will be in the lane a lot, and Kemba can get Boone in foul trouble quickly.

You are underselling the defensive ability of Taliek-Kemba-Gay. All 3 are plus defenders. And, while I won't claim that Taliek was a better defender than Ricky or Boat, he had 2.8 Defensive Win Shares in 2004. Ricky had the same in 1999. Ryan had 2.3 this year. He's the best of the next tier on the ball defenders statistically. But we've debated that back and forth.

As for Daniels, he's the type of player that can go either way. I think Corny is a better player due to his ability to rebound and score in the paint, but Daniels can be really good. If I were getting burned there, I have Giffey. And it's not like Rod Sellers couldn't switch onto him. Sellers was fast. And is there anything that shut Daniels down more than getting physical with him? It's not like Josh Boone or Alex Oriakhi has the post game to make me pay down low.

And, as for Hanson--he may not be able to defend Ray or Smitty (no one really can), but they can't defend him. I know we disagree on this, and nothing I or you say will be different than we've said in numerous threads. But, if I were getting killed from the 2 position and not making it up enough on offense, I could bring in Taliek. So this feels like a moot point. A line-up of Tate-Smitty-Allen-Daniels-Boone is getting almost all it's points from the perimeter, and I can guard that as well as it can be. And your team won't slow down Kemba-Hanson-Rudy-Corny. I mean, Rudy is a better scorer than freshman Lamb is (and Sellers is better than AO, and Corny is better on O than any 4 we played/Giffey roughly equal to Scoe), and Kemba won a title with him as our second player.

Daniels is a better scorer than Corny, Boone/Rod is at best a wash for you in terms of scoring. Your problem is that you don't have anyone else who can believably get you 20 points outside of Kemba. Your guys won't be in the lane much either because outside of Kemba, you don't have anyone who can create for themselves.

I'm properly rating those 3 defensively, you're overselling them as if they're on the Ricky/Boat level, or anything that's going to significantly dampen the best scorer in UConn history, who's playing alongside the guy who's scored the most points in UConn history, who are playing alongside a guy in Daniels who can go for 25, as well as 2 other guys beside that who are also terrific shooters. Also, since you're so big on accolades, Boone winning the BE DPotY in 2005 outshines anything you can say about any of your defenders.

Corny isn't athletic enough to score over a guy like Boone, nor was he athletic enough to cover Daniels on the perimeter. If you bring Giff in I can just sub Daniels out for Oriakhi and dominate you on the glass while my shooters go to work. If you bring Sellers out to chase Daniels around you're just opening the lane even more for Ray/Smith to attack poor Corny on the inside. Also, if you did that, my bigs would just dominate Corny down low between Boone's quickness or Oriakhi's physicality, and either one of them becomes wide open if you have Rod chasing Daniels around and Corny turning to try and stop Ray/Smith inside.

Hanson is going to get slaughtered defensively, and again on the other end I have rim protection that you don't. If you bring in Taliek you sacrifice what little offense you have outside of Kemba for defense when you yourself said that you can't really stop my combo. You wont be able to stop any of my guys from getting to the lane, and once there your bigs don't offer the rim protection to stop me. Your perimeter D is solid, my perimeter scoring is just better, and versatile enough to make you pay for your lack of rim protection. Your best offensive lineup will also stagnate because Kemba is the only person you have that can create his own shot, and Ray has the legs to be able to chase Rudy around to make him work for whatever he gets. Rudy wasn't a particularly aggressive player either, so he probably settles for jumpers all game long as long as Ray is anywhere in front of him. If anyone else gets through, again I have the 2005 Big East Defensive Player of the Year to help erase, whereas once any of my guys get past your perimeter D, it's basically an automatic 2.

I also want to disagree about the Rudy/Lamb thing, by the time the tournament came around Lamb was creating for himself, scoring with the 3, and was automatic with his floater. Rudy was never as aggressive of a scorer as Lamb was in that tournament.

Reaction Score
But anyways, your bigs can't protect the rim so your defense is pretty squishy inside, you needed to get a credible big for your defense to really bother my team. Beyond that my team is much more potent offensively, don't see how you'd get the buckets to keep up. Your team is also a disaster for the minutes Kemba has to rest, whereas at least one of Smith/Ray will always be on the floor. That alone is worth 6-10 pts.

Reaction Score
Hanson averaged 26. Corny averaged 14. Rudy averaged 15.

All of those guys can consistently score, and score at a higher clip than Daniels. Somehow a couple of games in the NCAA tournament means he's a better scorer than our 3rd and 5th all time leading scorers.

When you give Tate a rest, you have no PG. When I give Kemba a rest, I have the all-time leader in assists, and a championship PG running the team.

And, I don't know why you continue to make a big deal about rim protection here. I have a 5 man lineup of very good defenders: Brown-Kemba-Rudy-Niels-Sellers plays fantastic defense, akin to our 2011, 2014, and 1999 team defensively.

To get into the Lamb thing is a bit of a non-sequitor (I brought it up), but he averaged 15.2 in the BET and NCAAs. Which is what Rudy averaged. Only Rudy had 4 other players averaging 10 points or more. So, yeah. On a team that needed him to score, he could have, and would have, done a lot more.

Lastly, Hanson will get no more slaughtered than Smitty or Ray Allen. If we're ranking the 8 back court players on our teams for on-the-ball defense, its something like:

1. Taliek
2. Rudy
3. Kemba
4-5 Smitty/Tate (in some order)
6-7. Ray/Hanson (in some order)
8. Mouring

If we're ranking them on scoring ability, it goes something like:

1. Kemba
2. Ray
3-4. Smitty/Hanson (in some order)
5. Rudy
6. Mouring
7. Tate
8. Taliek

So I think you are overplaying your hand a bit in imagining I can't score or defend.

Lastly, I don't think Josh Boone has ever been mistaken as a great athlete. Solid, but unspectacular. Better athlete than Corny? Sure. Better defender? Sure. Better offensive player? Not even close. You could throw the ball into Corny and he could make plays. Josh Boone really couldn't.

I don't see how your team gets into any offense when you take out Tate. Also don't see how you could get Mouring in there and not be totally destroyed--he had no defense. Your team will also struggle to get points in the paint, since your main scorer on the inside is a stretch 4. It's not a very diverse offense. My team replicates some of our great teams while also adding someone you can dump the ball into down low. Sort of like 2004, only without the interior defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hanson averaged 26. Corny averaged 14. Rudy averaged 15.

All of those guys can consistently score, and score at a higher clip than Daniels. Somehow a couple of games in the NCAA tournament means he's a better scorer than our 3rd and 5th all time leading scorers.

When you give Tate a rest, you have no PG. When I give Kemba a rest, I have the all-time leader in assists, and a championship PG running the team.

And, I don't know why you continue to make a big deal about rim protection here. I have a 5 man lineup of very good defenders: Brown-Kemba-Rudy-Niels-Sellers plays fantastic defense, akin to our 2011, 2014, and 1999 team defensively.

To get into the Lamb thing is a bit of a non-sequitor (I brought it up), but he averaged 15.2 in the BET and NCAAs. Which is what Rudy averaged. Only Rudy had 4 other players averaging 10 points or more. So, yeah. On a team that needed him to score, he could have, and would have, done a lot more.

Lastly, Hanson will get no more slaughtered than Smitty or Ray Allen. If we're ranking the 8 back court players on our teams for on-the-ball defense, its something like:

1. Taliek
2. Rudy
3. Kemba
4-5 Smitty/Tate (in some order)
6-7. Ray/Hanson (in some order)
8. Mouring

If we're ranking them on scoring ability, it goes something like:

1. Kemba
2. Ray
3-4. Smitty/Hanson (in some order)
5. Rudy
6. Mouring
7. Tate
8. Taliek

So I think you are overplaying your hand a bit in imagining I can't score or defend.

Lastly, I don't think Josh Boone has ever been mistaken as a great athlete. Better athlete than Corny? Sure. Better defender? Sure. Better offensive player? Not even close. You could throw the ball into Corny and he could make plays. Josh Boone really couldn't.

Hanson averaged his points in a different era, that 26 is illegitimate as far as this game goes. Corny averaged 14, yet he's going to provide more offensively than Boone who averaged 12.5 when you don't have anyone to protect the rim and I do? Lol, what? Daniels won't score more than Corny when Daniels is a complete mismatch for him and DD averaged 13+ this year? Lol, what?

Did I also miss the part where we're using career stats (that came forever ago in your case) rather than individual seasons? Daniels averaged 1 PPG less than Corny, Boone 1.5 less. Those 2 guys have less to worry about with your bigs defensively than vice versa. Even if that were the case, I have the 1st and 4th-all time leading scorers, so you lose there too.

I think you're drastically overrating your teams ability to defend, Niels isn't even in your starting lineup (which, big mistake on your part), when he comes in I just take out Daniels and insert Oriakhi and crush you on the glass. Any way these big man matchups shake out I have the advantage. Your perimeter defense is good like I've said previously, but you lack that 1 truly shut down guy that might be able to significantly bother Ray or Smitty, and even if you did have them, your "man to man interior d" doesn't help you when my guys are attacking the rim. 1999 had Ricky, 2014 had Boat, which you have neither of. Hard to make that argument when you don't have either of the principal ball hawks from the teams you've referenced. We also didn't face any scorers the caliber of Ray/Smitty in 2011.

And Lamb had Kemba. Rudy was the most talented player on that team, if he had the aggressiveness, or the self-creating ability to score more he would have. We lost in 2006 primarily because we lacked a player who could create easy baskets for himself. If you take Brown or even 'Shad off that team and replace with someone like Dyson we win that year easily.

The scoring ranks really go something like:

Ray
Kemba
Smitty
Rudy/Daniels
Hanson
Mouring
Tate
Taliek

College Ray could drive just as well as Kemba and was a much better shooter. Hanson's stats were proven illegitimate when he failed to make an expansion nba roster when the same team was desperate enough to have drafted a woman in that draft.

Defensively Rudy and Hanson are both lower than what you had them, Rudy wasn't great on ball, he was a better help defender.

Boone was a very good athlete, that's why he was such a good shot blocker in spite of being shorter than Oak or Thabeet. Boone doesn't need post plays when most of his points are going to be easy finishes, and Corny doesn't have the athleticism necessary to drop big numbers against good bigs (which is why his stats precipitously declined, both scoring and rebounding, upon arriving in the Big East)

Reaction Score
Great matchup I think. Putting Tate, Smitty and Ray together is really cool to imagine on offense although somewhat frightening on D. At some point this game would be a tit-for-tat deep shots from Ray and Tony Hanson. The 1-3 positions make the matchup a tossup and whoever has the liquid hot hand between Ray or Kemba, Gay or Daniels, Smitty or Hanson would win on any given night. Certainly if they played best of 4 it'd be a 6-7 game series. And both teams essentially have two PG's even though Smitty-Tate are both starting its fine having one of them on the court at all times and although that's less defense its more offense than when Taliek is in for tzzn. Would simply love to watch this game.

In the end I come down with the tougher and better scoring frontcourt of TZZN, Corny can get some over Boone while Seller's toughness may neutralize Oriakhi

Matching up like players
Kemba > Tate
Smitty > Hanson, Smitty by a hair
Ray > Gay
Corny > Oriakhi
Sellers > Boone
Taliek > Mouring
Deandre > Giffey
4-3 for TZZN

Reaction Score
Great matchup I think. Putting Tate, Smitty and Ray together is really cool to imagine on offense although somewhat frightening on D. At some point this game would be a tit-for-tat deep shots from Ray and Tony Hanson. The 1-3 positions make the matchup a tossup and whoever has the liquid hot hand between Ray or Kemba, Gay or Daniels, Smitty or Hanson would win on any given night. Certainly if they played best of 4 it'd be a 6-7 game series. And both teams essentially have two PG's even though Smitty-Tate are both starting its fine having one of them on the court at all times and although that's less defense its more offense than when Taliek is in for tzzn. Would simply love to watch this game.

In the end I come down with the tougher and better scoring frontcourt of TZZN, Corny can get some over Boone while Seller's toughness may neutralize Oriakhi

Matching up like players
Kemba > Tate
Smitty > Hanson, Smitty by a hair
Ray > Gay
Corny > Oriakhi
Sellers > Boone
Taliek > Mouring
Deandre > Giffey
4-3 for TZZN

Appreciate the post but I'd have to imagine you're in your 50's-60's to be overrating the old guys that much. 05 Boone is better than anything Sellers ever did. Smitty is easily better than Hanson.

Given what our starting lineups are, here are the matchups:

Tate/Kemba
Smitty/Hanson
Ray/Gay
Daniels/Corny
Boone/Sellers

Oriakhi, Mouring/Taliek, Giffey

His only advantage in the starting 5 is Kemba over Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom