Game Turned On Sanogo's Foul | The Boneyard

Game Turned On Sanogo's Foul

Reaction Score
We had fought back. Prayer thrown up from 35 feet away. Never affected the shot at all but it was Dumb. Killed us. Never recovered.

Maybe the worst play of the season. Sanogo was brutal tonight. The missed layup off the nice pocket pass from Andre was a killer too. He was just not good. I was surprised to see both Sanogo and Martin get punked by this team. They did not match that team's toughness, and I honestly don't get it.

Reaction Score
As I said throughout the entire second half, it played out just like the Creighton game where we kept coming back, couldn't get over the hump, and eventually we ran out of bullets.

We needed to take the lead on one of our runs and couldn't get a stop once we pulled within 0-2 points.

Reaction Score
We had fought back. Prayer thrown up from 35 feet away. Never affected the shot at all but it was Dumb. Killed us. Never recovered.
Absolutely...bailed them out at shot clock. We would have been down 1 with ball instead down 4 and deflated.

Reaction Score
that play was right around the 4:00 mark and while there was plenty of time left, it took the momentum away. Down 1, getting a shot clock violation could have turned the whole game around and completely swung the momentum, instead we were down 4...again.

Reaction Score
Yes, as awful as we were, I thought we were in good shape to win until that foul. As stupid a play as you can make in basketball, and I never thought we were going to pull it out after that.

Sanogo's play has really fallen off at the end of the season. And we weren't good enough or deep enough to deal iwth it.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Maybe the worst play of the season. Sanogo was brutal tonight. The missed layup off the nice pocket pass from Andre was a killer too. He was just not good. I was surprised to see both Sanogo and Martin get punked by this team. They did not match that team's toughness, and I honestly don't get it.
It's weird. Sanogo plays a finesse game sometimes. He went for a reverse layup to avoid contact with a guard. He needs to seek out contact and finish through it. I didn't love the behind the back dribble either. He typically knows his limits but he played outside them a couple times tonight.

Reaction Score
We had scored on 6 of 7 possessions before that. We had all the momentum. It was a killer.

I lump in the Jackson "foul" on him with a minute left when we were down 1 as well (that setup the Cole turnover). He had played good D, and I didn't see much.

Reaction Score
3 games of what happened to adama? I say he’s hurt.

Reaction Score
Absolutely... It was a self-inflicted kick the collective gut.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Every time they needed a big shot, they got one. We played tough, we battled back, we had chances, but they made the money plays. I agree with many of the posts in this thread, but sometimes your opponent just plays better.

There was one stretch in the second half where we turned it over like three straight times. There were several moments where we couldn't get over the hump, that was one if them.

A bad shot taker became a legendary bad shot maker last night. It wasn't bad defense, it was better offense. Or at least better bad shot making.

Reaction Score
Sure the first half was dismal offensively, and Cole was a non factor for much of it, but we fought back in the second half and were in a position to lead with 4 min left and put some doubt in the Aggies—until the Sanogo foul. That was a killer. On the other hand, I haven’t seen a better performance by one of our opponents in a game of similar importance than Teddy Allen’s 37 point effort. We needed to make a few stops. He was unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Yes, you have, Chief. This time he wasn't even hedging, he was "guarding" a shooter 30 feet from the basket. In Sanogo's defense, he's played relatively little basketball compared to most good players his age. Also, he works on his weaknesses, so I expect an even better version of him next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No, it ended on that play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
As I said throughout the entire second half, it played out just like the Creighton game where we kept coming back, couldn't get over the hump, and eventually we ran out of bullets.

We needed to take the lead on one of our runs and couldn't get a stop once we pulled within 0-2 points.
Maybe need a more balanced view of who we are. This "come from behind" or less than 40 mins of "taking care of business" has been going on since the KO era. We need on the floor real point guards (yes but at least one) who believe in the offense. What good is it to have all this notoriety about the defense if you can't put the ball in the basket? Any team who has such a "stifling" defense should be making the other team pay at the other end. The confidence of this team's and others before it is all about defense. Well, you don't get points for defense unless you convert them into baskets at the other end. It makes all that hot dogging when you do score look kind of foolish.
Hate to bring this up but JC and other coaches who are serious about winning are about imposing your will on the other team. That essentially means it is more about the pain of relentless focus on doing your job (execution) than feel good stuff. Cole would be a lot more effective if he had a cast of teammates and head coach who were settled down, methodical and consistent than those who can get emotionally higher than the next guy. Some of our players have that will such as Martin at times for long stretches and Whalley does too.
But they are not the coach. They don't need a cheerleader coach. They are not the team leader. I turned the game off at the 10:00 min mark because I could not stand that same old, same old crap. I have seen that too many times over the past years. Very disappointing. And I put none of this on the players at all.

Reaction Score
I felt that no call on his breakaway dunk in first half affected him. He finally went strong to the hoop and was not rewarded. He totally got hacked

Reaction Score
Every time they needed a big shot, they got one. We played tough, we battled back, we had chances, but they made the money plays. I agree with many of the posts in this thread, but sometimes your opponent just plays better.

There was one stretch in the second half where we turned it over like three straight times. There were several moments where we couldn't get over the hump, that was one if them.

A bad shot taker became a legendary bad shot maker last night. It wasn't bad defense, it was better offense. Or at least better bad shot making.
Sure, NMSU had one of those nights…but UConn’s effort didn’t pick up until about 25 minutes into the game.

This group of players has never won an NCAA tourney game, and they showed up yesterday wildly unready to play. I don’t really get how that happens.

Reaction Score
There is no one play or ref call or brain fart that caused the loss. I was very worried as I believe I said in the chat at the 3 minute 42 second mark of the first half that we were “scrudded”. Team was flat, slow, shots just did not go in, no one played with drive nor intensity so we can blame Sunoco, Hurley, Hurley’s dad, Cole , the NM guy who hit 37 points, or the towel manager- the team just played poorly yesterday.

Reaction Score
When he fouled Allen, I called a buddy and told him that foul may have cost us the game. It was not necessarily the 3 points but we had momentum and that play stopped our momentum. They were beginning to panic and that foul calmed them down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom