Game threads | The Boneyard

Game threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Beginning with the next game, the in-game discussion threads will be in the chat room only. Everyone has free access to the chat room. At the top, left hand side of the board, you’ll see the Boneyard banner (the one with the bones). On the line below that, you’ll see links that say Home Forums Member Chat. When you click on Chat, you go to the chat room. I’ll set up a Test Room so you can give it a try. I’m not sure how long the game threads will remain there. Need to think about that one.

We mods have resorted to DVRing games so that we can watch the whole thing without interruption. It’s getting a little old, honestly. With the game threads in the Chat Room, you can say whatever pops into your head except for the obvious such as threats, racist comments, etc and my fellow mods. I hope everyone will see the benefits of moving the in game discussion there.

Reaction Score
Are game threads for other teams still permitted?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still don't understand the problem with the game threads. But then I guess I don't see all the bad posts in there because I only post when UConn makes a 3 pointer which is pretty rare.

Reaction Score
I'm watching warmups. I'm telling u WS will not score 25 points today ha. Looks like a high school team.

Reaction Score
I'm watching warmups. I'm telling u WS will not score 25 points today ha. Looks like a high school team.
They've never played UConn, so that's generally a huge advantage for the Huskies.

JS

Reaction Score
Just removed some posts tending to turn this into a game thread.

Gonna lock it until after the game. Then re-open so people can comment on chat room etc. if they wish.

Post game threads will also be welcome; may be collected in a single thread if that seems best.

And now back to your regularly scheduled viewing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chat room seemed to work well enough, though I suppose it will dissatisfy those who want a permanent archive of what was said. (it only seems to display a certain number of old messages instead of displaying the entire history of the room)

Another option you might consider is a Discord server. Discord is a community chat program. Free to set one up, free for everyone else to use.

It can do more or less everything this board's chat room can, plus a bunch of other stuff (like voice chat). The chat community can be accessed equally well through a web browser, phone app, or Windows/Mac program. It can store the chat records permanently, or you can delete them as you prefer. It lets you set up different user classes, if for instance you wanted to appoint additional moderators to police the chat, but not give them any unneeded administrator privileges.

Reaction Score
I could not see a way to access chat on the phone screen. Also going back to look at the chat on the desktop, I could only access the last page and could not see most of the chat comments.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I could not see a way to access chat on the phone screen. Also going back to look at the chat on the desktop, I could only access the last page and could not see most of the chat comments.
The fact that the game threads go away after a while is kind of the point. Things that people say in the game threads often define a poster, sometimes to their detriment. Easily excitable fans were being treated poorly at times, often by people who were reading the game threads after the game and with cooler heads. And as a UConn fan, I found several of the game threads downright embarrassing and they will live forever on the Internet.

Incidentally, for the non-techies among us - nothing you put on the Internet is private and that includes emails, fan forum posts, pay-for sites, etc. A person with the right know how can dig out anything you put on the Internet, so choose your words carefully.

Reaction Score
I'll miss the game threads. I always watch the game then read the game thread the next day to see how others reacted. Just went to read the Wichita State thread. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom