game thread: | Page 9 | The Boneyard

game thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As the (one of the) professional musicians in this crowd, I defer to the eloquence of the posts above...

OT: Wonderful Parsifal in St. Johnsbury's Catamount Arts...from the Met, last Saturday (rebroadcast),
All 6 hours of it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Do you have an original Telarc pressing from back in the day or a re-issue? That was probably the most legendary record ever pressed from a strict audiophile standpoint. I want to say that was around 1981 or '82.

What's your TT/cart setup? Those cannon shot grooves are nearly impossible to track! At the time of the original release, it was quite common for the cart to be literally thrown [visibly] out of the groove....
I bought 150g? heavy pressing upon release in 1978 plus have a more recent 200g copy. I have a Souther straightline tracking arm on a VPI TT and a Dynavector Ruby cartridge.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I bought 150g? heavy pressing upon release in 1978 plus have a more recent 200g copy. I have a Souther straightline tracking arm on a VPI TT and a Dynavector Ruby cartridge.

Cool -

BTW, never was there a better candidate for inside-out mastering than the 1812. That would put the cannon shots on the outside grooves where they belong. The old Scully lathes can do this, but I'm not sure if there have been commercial releases cut that way. (You're probably familiar with Stan Ricker, the guy who cut all the old Mobile Fidelity releases back in the day. He used a Scully.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have numerous Mobile Fidelity pressings including the Beatles Collection. I understand it can be worth up to $1000. It was played exactly once.

I have no musical talent whatsoever but have been told by a couple of recordings pros I have very good ears.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I have numerous Mobile Fidelity pressings including the Beatles Collection. I understand it can be worth up to $1000. It was played exactly once.

I have no musical talent whatsoever but have been told by a couple of recordings pros I have very good ears.

Do you have their Respighi: Feste Romane / Pines of Rome ? That was my favorite orchestral record for many years.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

Q. "Tell me, Mrs. Icebear, what first attracted you to your hirsute husband?"
A. "Ahhhh the first time I looked into his ears, I melted like a global-warming icecap."

Reaction Score
Good thing you didn't take up referee as a profession - it damages the hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom