Game Thread, Baylor | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Game Thread, Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We lost this game when Geno pulled Buck out toward the end and throughout the game, Dolsen was thoroughly ineffective against Griner and should have been off the court for the vast majority of the game, Geno screwed the pooch on this one, but its not the first time. That and like one (1) shooting foul against Baylor the whole game , Really? 3 free-throw shots vs 18 for Baylor, Really ?? And someone on this board is going to say this is an honest outcome...

Reaction Score
We lost this game when Geno pulled Buck out toward the end and throughout the game, Dolsen was thoroughly ineffective against Griner and should have been off the court for the vast majority of the game, Geno screwed the pooch on this one, but its not the first time. That and like one (1) shooting foul against Baylor the whole game , Really? 3 free-throw shots vs 18 for Baylor, Really ?? And someone on this board is going to say this is an honest outcome...

When you settle for mostly perimeter shots because the 6'8" Griner swats everything that gets close inside...yeah, that is an honest outcome. Just sayin...

And while Heather did play tough D on Griner, we also need to score points. Heather doesn't do that for us at this point. It is a tough balance.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to ask, did Baylor look tired as it was repeatedly predicted that they would? Did they turn the ball over any more than UCONN? Did BG look slow, lazy and out of shape?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think our girls played great especially since they were playing the number 1 team in the country on their home court. Coming off exams there was no rust...they moved the ball well and were smoking from three early. They had difficulty sustaining the three in the second half but the law of averages catches up with everyone. Griner was tough...as expected. I said she would get 25 and 12...so she got 25 and 10 and 9 rebounds to go with that...you can't stop her so you have to stop everyone else...outside of Sims our girls did that...Baylor only scored 66 points...that's some defense there. We should be proud of our women they played well...Bria, Kelly, Heather, Tiffany and KML did their job. Dolson may have gotten a wake-up call. She will have to use her body more effectively under the basket. Knowing Dolson from watching her remake herself last year after Samarie left the program...I believe she will internalize this game and she will use it to improve... Kiah...really needs to come along a little faster if she is going to help us later in the season. Outside of KML, our bench was non-existent today...Geno didn't feel confident to put them in the game...they need to gain Geno's confidence during practice because we will need them in March. We have to get better at drawing fouls and getting to the line...we only got to the line two times in the entire game...and I don't think the officiating was that bad...there were a few bad calls both ways...but for the most part UConn did not do enough to get themselves to the line.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have to ask, did Baylor look tired as it was repeatedly predicted that they would? Did they turn the ball over any more than UCONN? Did BG look slow, lazy and out of shape?

No, Baylor is a well conditioned team...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

? Who made those predictions?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think our girls played great especially since they were playing the number 1 team in the country on their home court. Coming off exams there was no rust...they moved the ball well and were smoking from three early. They had difficulty sustaining the three in the second half but the law of averages catches up with everyone. Griner was tough...as expected. I said she would get 25 and 12...so she got 25 and 10 and 9 rebounds to go with that...you can't stop her so you have to stop everyone else...outside of Sims our girls did that...Baylor only scored 66 points...that's some defense there. We should be proud of our women they played well...Bria, Kelly, Heather, Tiffany and KML did their job. Dolson may have gotten a wake-up call. She will have to use her body more effectively under the basket. Knowing Dolson from watching her remake herself last year after Samarie left the program...I believe she will internalize this game and she will use it to improve... Kiah...really needs to come along a little faster if she is going to help us later in the season. Outside of KML, our bench was non-existent today...Geno didn't feel confident to put them in the game...they need to gain Geno's confidence during practice because we will need them in March. We have to get better at drawing fouls and getting to the line...we only got to the line two times in the entire game...and I don't think the officiating was that bad...there were a few bad calls both ways...but for the most part UConn did not do enough to get themselves to the line.

So Buck was non-existent?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We were on the short end of a 27-11 run to end the game. We hit a scoring drought and gave up 27 points in 7+ minutes. Very uncharacteristic. We proved we can play with Baylor. We need to take the next step.

Reaction Score
In defense of our team, Baylor has put that type of run on EVERYONE in the 2nd half. UCLA, Notre Dame, Tennessee, St. John's. That's the advantage of having the best player in the country on your team.

Hopefully now that we have faced it we will be better prepared to deal with it if we face them again when it counts for real.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
We were on the short end of a 27-11 run to end the game. We hit a scoring drought and gave up 27 points in 7+ minutes. Very uncharacteristic. We proved we can play with Baylor. We need to take the next step.
The good news is, the team has plenty of time and opportunity to correct the mistakes that were made during that run.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Geez, the announcer sure gets excited when Baylor scores...

OK - SO I'm not the only one who noticed that - I really hate it when a supposed professional raises the decibel level in favor of one team over another. I believe Joe Buck is a prime example in sports announcing.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
So Buck was non-existent?

Really Speedo...give it a rest...of course, Buck did a great job on the defensive end...you would have to be blind to not to see it. I inadvertently neglected to mention her in my bench statement. I guess you missed this statement...We should be proud of our women they played well...Bria, Kelly, Heather, Tiffany and KML did their job.

Reaction Score
When you settle for mostly perimeter shots because the 6'8" Griner swats everything that gets close inside...yeah, that is an honest outcome. Just sayin...

And while Heather did play tough D on Griner, we also need to score points. Heather doesn't do that for us at this point. It is a tough balance.

Not that tuff of a call in this circumstance, Griner went through Dolsen like a hot knife through butter all game long, that and Dolsens scoring was minor as compared to her lack of ability to slow Griner down, it made her a bigger liability during the game than Heather not scoring, that much was quite obvious. At least Heather slowed down Griners offense in a measurable fashion.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
? Who made those predictions?

It was exactly one poster on this board who made that prediction and I think Easttexas knows who it is. The poster was wrong and was told as much. Griner proved as much tonight. Hopefully that'll be the end of the discussion but somehow I doubt it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
LOL. Surely you're joking. It was predicted in almost every thread that UCONN's press would wear Baylor down.
No. I'm really not joking. But then again, I don't pay a lot of attention to predictions.

Reaction Score
According to Doris (on sportscenter), she passed up an open shot. Doris said Geno wants to make sure she doesn't do that in March.

I wonder if the coach blasted CD, too, who didn't take a shot and didn't have an assist?

HB, after Bria, KML, Kelly and Tiff was much more effective tonight.

(I, too, was surprised that the coach didn't utilize her more than he did in the 2nd half.)

Peace,

John Fryer

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Really Speedo...give it a rest...of course, Buck did a great job on the defensive end...you would have to be blind to not to see it. I inadvertently neglected to mention her in my bench statement. I guess you missed this statement...We should be proud of our women they played well...Bria, Kelly, Heather, Tiffany and KML did their job.
OK, fair enough. I tend to get very ornery in game threads, because I find so many ill-informed posts. But yours was fine, inadvertent comment excepted.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There were multiple posters who were indicating that UCONN's press was going to wear Baylor down on the assumption that the team speed and swarming defense would be too much for Baylor to handle. I questioned that assertion more than once.

UCONN, IMO, suffered more from the pace of the game because they are more perimeter oriented, and its hard to shoot threes with tired legs. Maybe KML passed up that shot because she was fatigued. Or maybe she was just deferring to the hot hand. Hartley was spectacular.

The "did Griner look slow and lazy" question WAS for that one poster, who hopefully has seen the light, although I doubt it.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Absorb the sting of this defeat girls. You had this, but couldn't seal the deal. Not ready yet...but you could be in April.

I am not so sure that UConn can beat this team on a neutral court in April. Griner is getting better game by game as is Sims. That was not the same BG we saw last November. Because of BG, every team has to adjust their offensive game plan. Last night we played like a fast paced Villanova passing around the perimeter depending on treys. And on D, SD is not capable of guarding BG. She was eaten alive last night. I don't see that changing. CD was a liability. Our supposed depth this year was certainly not evident against Baylor. We can't beat them with only 5 players contributing.

Reaction Score
The UConn Huskies are a prideful bunch. Dolson will work to improve her shortcomings, if she improves half as much as she did last year it will help this team in March. Dotty is harder on herself than anyone, she will come back strong. KML will only get better but I don’t know if much will change with Tiff. Kelly will always go 110% and I hope this game solidified some confidence in Buck. I think they measure pretty well against this year’s best team. I always like our chances in March. Go UConn!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There were multiple posters who were indicating that UCONN's press was going to wear Baylor down on the assumption that the team speed and swarming defense would be too much for Baylor to handle. I questioned that assertion more than once.

UCONN, IMO, suffered more from the pace of the game because they are more perimeter oriented, and its hard to shoot threes with tired legs. Maybe KML passed up that shot because she was fatigued. Or maybe she was just deferring to the hot hand. Hartley was spectacular.

The "did Griner look slow and lazy" question WAS for that one poster, who hopefully has seen the light, although I doubt it.

Except that because Geno shortened the bench as much as he did we did not apply the press in the same way we have in many games. Not using players he considered to inexperienced to risk using in the game altered significantly his options. He likely did that for two reasons. 1) saving legs, 2) not wanting to risk fouls because he didn't want to go to the bench. Much of the game we challenged the inbounds pass but fell back into position once the ball was on the court.

And yes, Griner did look slow and lazy. She has so much more potential than Baylor is getting out of her. Her inability or unwillingness to get back on defense in transition was what helped UConn to lead at the half.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Except that because Geno shortened the bench as much as he did we did not apply the press in the same way we have in many games. Not using players he considered to inexperienced to risk using in the game altered significantly his options. He likely did that for two reasons. 1) saving legs, 2) not wanting to risk fouls because he didn't want to go to the bench. Much of the game we challenged the inbounds pass but fell back into position once the ball was on the court.

And yes, Griner did look slow and lazy. She has so much more potential than Baylor is getting out of her. Her inability to get back on defense in transition was what helped UConn to lead at the half.

ROFL. My work here is done.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I am not so sure that UConn can beat this team on a neutral court in April. Griner is getting better game by game as is Sims. That was not the same BG we saw last November. Because of BG, every team has to adjust their offensive game plan. Last night we played like a fast paced Villanova passing around the perimeter depending on treys. And on D, SD is not capable of guarding BG. She was eaten alive last night. I don't see that changing. CD was a liability. Our supposed depth this year was certainly not evident against Baylor. We can't beat them with only 5 players contributing.
Well, if you measure how teams improve based on the challenges in the remaining schedules (you know, it's about playing the best if you want to be the best) you can expect UConn to improve more than Baylor does by the time the rematch everyone wants comes in April.
Baylor's highest ranked opponent is #10 aTm, twice. But is aTm really #10? Questionable. After that, Baylor has 4 games vs. Texas and Texas Tech, both barely in the top 25 currently.
Meanwhile UConn has two games against ND, who is at worst a clear #3 team. And then there is a stretch in late Jan. - early Feb. In that 13 day stretch UConn plays Duke, Rutgers, Louisville and Georgetown, all of whom might be tougher than even aTm on Baylor's schedule.
So yeah, BG and Sims will be better by the time they get to Denver, but it is likely that all of UConn's key players, including Stef, will improve even more. And I think it's reasonable to expect Stokes and Banks to earn the trust of the coaches to become part of the rotation as well.
So I'm much more optimistic than you are.

Reaction Score

And yes, Griner did look slow and lazy. She has so much more potential than Baylor is getting out of her. Her inability to get back on defense in transition was what helped UConn to lead at the half.

What I saw was KML coming off the bench and Baylor not being able to make adjustments to her until the second half.

What we all saw in the second half was Madden (sp) guarding KML and basically making it very difficult for her to get her shot.

We also saw Sims play like the AA that she almost certainly will be by the end of the season. (Did I forget did mention the two/three steals she made at the beginning of the 2nd quarter that turned the momentum of the game around?)

Oh, did I also forget to mention that, late in the 4th quarter, BG blocked a 3 point attempt by Bria?

Peace,

John Fryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member