Game thoughts | The Boneyard

Game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Defense. Yeah, I know about Rodney's and Omar's threes. But the 2nd half defense was the biggest key in this win. You don't get stops, you're just trading baskets. Obviously, Amida's late D was crucial. But in the 2nd half we were much better at maintaining contact with their shooters rather than running out at them late (which leads to shooting fouls). That forced them to drive instead of relying on the jumpers, and increased Amida's role.
  2. Free throws. We made 'em, Florida didn't. Sounds like a familiar formula. Each team shot 20, but we scored 9 more points on FT's than they did.
  3. TSam. The 'yard has been crucifying him all week, mostly off one horrible performance. Today, he is loved. Prior to today, he hadn't been great yet this year, and had one really bad game. But he's still the same kid we loved last March, and we know what he has in him. I'm glad he's on our team.
  4. Sam Jr. Still waiting for him to contribute. Seems as if KO's confidence in him is beginning to wane. Whenever he sits back down without having done something awful, I'm relieved. Not so glad he's on our team.
  5. Boat. A buddy who is a casual fan was telling me yesterday that Boat isn't in the same league as Kemba and Bazz. I said he is, and might just be the best of them when it's all said and done, but he doesn't have the complimentary stud guard that Kemba had in Bazz, and Bazz had in him. So the guy said "yeah, but he gets hurt too often." WHAT? Has Boat ever missed a game due to injury? (rhetorical question. no, he hasn't) No doubt the injury had its effect today. But he played 39 minutes! And it seemed like he was double teamed and trapped about 30 of those minutes. But who the hell else do we want at the line in winning time?
  6. Donovan. Did you see him scream at the guy who fouled Boat? So the next time, they remembered to avoid fouling him, and waited until TSam had the ball. SwishX2. I thought that was fitting.
  7. DHam. Did the missed FTs at the end of regulation last game get into his head? He seemed to be lacking confidence big-time today. Any number of times, he got a pass while open, and hesitated just long enough to let the defense recover, then either passed it right back or made one dribble of a move into the lane before passing it back or turning it over. He needs to get back on track.
  8. Facey. Another solid performance. I'm happy with him at the four.
  9. Bench. Our bench doubled their bench in points today, despite playing 12 fewer minutes.
  10. Amida. Not sure how the official scorer only had him with 2 blocks. But even more than the blocks, I'm impressed with his 10 boards. Even early on, when he wasn't much of a factor in any other way, he was grabbing boards. Really hope that continues.
  11. 3 times in barely over a year, we've played Florida and gone in as the underdog. And it's three victories. Are they our new BC?

Reaction Score
Facey has the shortest writeup but maybe most important. A good 4 is like a good ref. You want to barely notice their out there as their mistakes shine brighter than their good input. Facey was solid today.

Reaction Score
Agree, Facey's 2 points and 4 Rebs were huge

Facey has the shortest writeup but maybe most important. A good 4 is like a good ref. You want to barely notice their out there as their mistakes shine brighter than their good input. Facey was solid today.

Reaction Score
7. I don't think the missed FTs affected him today since he swished both of his during the game. I was expecting him to over think those and he didn't.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of your points. Boatright's conditioning is seriously overlooked. He seems to never get tired out there.

Disagree on Facey. He wasn't up to his previous performances today.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of your points. Boatright's conditioning is seriously overlooked. He seems to never get tired out there.

Disagree on Facey. He wasn't up to his previous performances today.
He (Boat)is maybe the best conditioned player we've ever had. I was courtside for the Bryant game and he was barely breathing hard/sweating despite going a hundred percent all game. Part of me wants to know what his daily workout is the other part is sure I'd feel even worse about my own fitness.

Reaction Score
  1. Defense. Yeah, I know about Rodney's and Omar's threes. But the 2nd half defense was the biggest key in this win. You don't get stops, you're just trading baskets. Obviously, Amida's late D was crucial. But in the 2nd half we were much better at maintaining contact with their shooters rather than running out at them late (which leads to shooting fouls). That forced them to drive instead of relying on the jumpers, and increased Amida's role.
  2. Free throws. We made 'em, Florida didn't. Sounds like a familiar formula. Each team shot 20, but we scored 9 more points on FT's than they did.
  3. TSam. The 'yard has been crucifying him all week, mostly off one horrible performance. Today, he is loved. Prior to today, he hadn't been great yet this year, and had one really bad game. But he's still the same kid we loved last March, and we know what he has in him. I'm glad he's on our team.
  4. Sam Jr. Still waiting for him to contribute. Seems as if KO's confidence in him is beginning to wane. Whenever he sits back down without having done something awful, I'm relieved. Not so glad he's on our team.
  5. Boat. A buddy who is a casual fan was telling me yesterday that Boat isn't in the same league as Kemba and Bazz. I said he is, and might just be the best of them when it's all said and done, but he doesn't have the complimentary stud guard that Kemba had in Bazz, and Bazz had in him. So the guy said "yeah, but he gets hurt too often." WHAT? Has Boat ever missed a game due to injury? (rhetorical question. no, he hasn't) No doubt the injury had its effect today. But he played 39 minutes! And it seemed like he was double teamed and trapped about 30 of those minutes. But who the hell else do we want at the line in winning time?
  6. Donovan. Did you see him scream at the guy who fouled Boat? So the next time, they remembered to avoid fouling him, and waited until TSam had the ball. SwishX2. I thought that was fitting.
  7. DHam. Did the missed FTs at the end of regulation last game get into his head? He seemed to be lacking confidence big-time today. Any number of times, he got a pass while open, and hesitated just long enough to let the defense recover, then either passed it right back or made one dribble of a move into the lane before passing it back or turning it over. He needs to get back on track.
  8. Facey. Another solid performance. I'm happy with him at the four.
  9. Bench. Our bench doubled their bench in points today, despite playing 12 fewer minutes.
  10. Amida. Not sure how the official scorer only had him with 2 blocks. But even more than the blocks, I'm impressed with his 10 boards. Even early on, when he wasn't much of a factor in any other way, he was grabbing boards. Really hope that continues.
  11. 3 times in barely over a year, we've played Florida and gone in as the underdog. And it's three victories. Are they our new BC?
Good points throughout. Looks like we're finally getting the Omar Calhoun that was promised as a freshman. His form on the three looks good every time and it's starting to go in more often. Showing ability to drive toward the hoop that I don't recall him doing as a freshman. I would have liked to have seen the players/coaches get Brimah involved on offense early. He never got in any offensive rhythmn and seemed to revert to last year when he wasn't ready for passes under the basket although some of those passes were not good. Facey again was impressive. Works hard and is showing more confidence and improved moves on offense. Hopefully DHam is just going through a little frosh slump. I think he's too talented to have it linger. Purvis was a game saver. Would like to see he and Samuel get some consistency. Sam Jr. is going to be fighting for playing time but it's a long season and I think he will give some important mins during the season. Finally, what can you say about Boat. Huge heart. Great effort. As you said here he does not have a consistent wing man. It had been DHam who was really the second scorer recently. Florida had a good game plan to trap him in the backcourt and again once he crossed half court. Overcame a lot of good D to lead the way.

Reaction Score
It's funny but in this game most every guy we are raving about today was thrown to the shed by each of us during this game, more than once. I mean they had their usual up and downs but they were ALL a big part of the last 10-12 minutes when things changed. Shooting got better, defense picked up, breaking the press was better, FT shooting was excellent and the errors were way down.

Impressive win when you think of Brimah getting 3 pts and getting 2 stupid fouls first half, DHam taken out of the 2nd half on O and Boat playing without lift off. I can watch Sportscenter tonight unlike after the Temple game. lol

Reaction Score
The last six minutes (crunch time): DHam made a beautiful 18 ft jumper. He's a tough match up. Brimah had 3 clean blocks that changed the game, despite the box score. RP hit two key threes - that we've been missing, and somewhat kept his guy in front of him on defense. TSam hit two clutch FT's and boat was a courageous MF. They were able to grind it out. Hope this leads to something more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom