Game thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I thought the quick interview with Geno after the game was priceless. We don't get that kind of joy from him very often.

What a difference it makes for us when Kelly makes a couple of threes. What stops her usually do you suppose?
Lack of confidence, in my opinion. She shoots them great in practice but thinks too much in the game and hesitates. She didn't hesitate on the two she made last night. Didn't think. Just shot.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Thanks Biff. Definitely worth seeing!

Reaction Score
I understand Geno was going with his best team, but Dolson was gassed the last 7-8 minutes of the game. We were not getting much out of her at all. I think St0kes could have given us more at that point. But hey, it worked out ok in the end.
Even when you're gassed you can still compete if you're in the flow of the game. Bringing Kiah in at that point doesn't give her much time to get into it.

Reaction Score
Lots of talk about Kiah...let's not lose sight of the fact that she's a freshman playing in her biggest college game yet. Geno (he of the 800 wins) can read his players pretty well, I think, and didn't see from Kiah what he needed to see. Kiah will be fine, great, in fact. I'm sure her short shift on the floor will be a learning experience for her, and she'll have a good NCCA tourney.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Lots of talk about Kiah...let's not lose sight of the fact that she's a freshman playing in her biggest college game yet. Geno (he of the 800 wins) can read his players pretty well, I think, and didn't see from Kiah what he needed to see. Kiah will be fine, great, in fact. I'm sure her short shift on the floor will be a learning experience for her, and she'll have a good NCCA tourney.
Just curious...whats is she supposed to learn from being on the floor for 2 minutes here 1 minute there etc. I agree about not breaking up chemistry even if Stef isn't scoring but it was obvious that Stef was tired in the second half. Kiah could easily hold the fort down while Stef gets a breather. I agree... Kiah will be huge come ncaa tourney time.

Reaction Score
Positive thoughts. (for DD)
the wonderful moment when Bria got behind the Irish D, both teams really dragging, everyone on both sides playing huge minutes

That play made it clear beyond any doubt who the best conditioned starter/rotation player on either team is.

Reaction Score
... The Irish are the team I would least want to face in the final.

Yeah, but think of what that means - Notre Dame would have to get past Baylor in the semifinal and we'd have played Stanford for that round. Geno could live with that!

Most likely, that is.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but think of what that means - Notre Dame would have to get past Baylor in the semifinal and we'd have played Stanford for that round. Geno could live with that!

Most likely, that is.
That's the best possible scenario IMO. I would love us to beat Baylor first. If ND beats Baylor people would question whether we could have beaten Baylor, but lucked out not having to play them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Lack of confidence, in my opinion. She shoots them great in practice but thinks too much in the game and hesitates. She didn't hesitate on the two she made last night. Didn't think. Just shot.
Bingo, DD. the reason she just shot last night was because both shots had something to disrupt her thinking and pushed her into reliance on auto response behavior based on instinct and rehearsal. Instinctive archers practice thousands of shots to attain skill at reactive shooting.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's the best possible scenario IMO. I would love us to beat Baylor first. If ND beats Baylor people would question whether we could have beaten Baylor, but lucked out not having to play them.
Play the best, beat the best. That's the heart of a champion.

Reaction Score
Bingo, DD. the reason she just shot last night was because both shots had something to disrupt her thinking and pushed her into reliance on auto response behavior based on instinct and rehearsal. Instinctive archers practice thousands of shots to attain skill at reactive shooting.
Correct, that's why my freezer is always stocked with venison.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Correct, that's why my freezer is always stocked with venison.
You shoot instinctive, Sonny? What type of bow, recurve or longbow? Brand? There are several archers around here. Boo is one. If you have ever read any of Larry Wise's books on bow tuning or shooting form you might want to know he is one of my parishioners.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Just curious...whats is she supposed to learn from being on the floor for 2 minutes here 1 minute there etc. I agree about not breaking up chemistry even if Stef isn't scoring but it was obvious that Stef was tired in the second half. Kiah could easily hold the fort down while Stef gets a breather. I agree... Kiah will be huge come ncaa tourney time.

Two things:
1. to answer your question, she can watch from the bench and hopefully learn to execute the game plan. going in without understanding leads to people out of place and confused, and that makes an advantage to the opposition
2. to the outcome of the game: We wanted the win. Kiah being in there at that time would likely have jeopardize that win. Hence, she came out to watch and learn.

Reaction Score
You shoot instinctive, Sonny? What type of bow, recurve or longbow? Brand? There are several archers around here. Boo is one. If you have ever read any of Larry Wise's books on bow tuning or shooting form you might want to know he is one of my parishioners.
I did shoot instinctive back in the 70's, but compund with ightes after that. I used my Mathews for many many years. Now after two shoulder surguries I am relegated to a crossbow. Are you a hunter? Where are you located?

Reaction Score
Well, it is sweet...and...a bonus is recalling all the negative posts about this team and who wrote them.

It's amazing what a couple of games like our last two games can do.

Three days ago the general consensus on the board seemed to be that our
kids were just a bunch of toothless old sled dogs.

Now the tone seems decidedly more Tony-esque.

Love our girls - win or lose.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I did shoot instinctive back in the 70's, but compund with ightes after that. I used my Mathews for many many years. Now after two shoulder surguries I am relegated to a crossbow. Are you a hunter? Where are you located?

I'm in Central PA on Rt. 322 halfway between Harrisburg and State College. I used to hunt and was an NBEF and PA Game Commission Hunter Safety instructor. Like you I have shot instinctively and compound. I do not hunt any more because of a leaf mold allergy which causes me asthma. I, also, shot competitive archery, indoors, field and 3D and was a NAA certified instructor.

Reaction Score
It's amazing what a couple of games like our last two games can do.

Three days ago the general consensus on the board seemed to be that our
kids were just a bunch of toothless old sled dogs.

Now the tone seems decidedly more Tony-esque.

Love our girls - win or lose.
This thread shows that not only did the girls get their swagger back, so did the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
I'm in Central PA on Rt. 322 halfway between Harrisburg and State College. I used to hunt and was an NBEF and PA Game Commission Hunter Safety instructor. Like you I have shot instinctively and compound. I do not hunt any more because of a leaf mold allergy which causes me asthma. I, also, shot competitive archery, indoors, field and 3D and was a NAA certified instructor.
That must be tough, not getting out in the woods where you live.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That must be tough, not getting out in the woods where you live.
It can be, Penn's Woods is abeautiful place. On the other hand last year many days I had 10 deer and 22 turkeys right in my yard. Sometimes the woods come to you. Unfortunately, archery season is the height of leaf mold season so tromping around in the woods for one day a d wheezing for three is not a good option.

Reaction Score
What impressed me about last night was how much the bench was involved in the game. With a minute or so left, it was obvious how happy and proud the bench players were that they were going to win the Big East Championship. The whole team was so into this game and as a team they proved last night they can take and win a game against an elite team. As Geno said during his press conference the team owned this win.
I'd be willing to go through the agony of practices, even if I didn't get into a single game for the ringside seat that is the bench.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that UCONN sent a message to the rest of women's basketball in the BET: watch out, we ain't done yet!

After watching that game I truly feel that the only team that has a chance at Baylor is UCONN. I still think that the edge goes to Baylor because of Griner, but UCONN has certainly stepped it up a notch or two. ND looked totally beat down by UCONN like they have in the past. Their spirit seemed to be broken and getting your spirit broken late in the year can be hard to recover from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom