Game thoughts - Tacko and the Orlando bunch | The Boneyard

Game thoughts - Tacko and the Orlando bunch

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Been preoccupied the last week or two, and haven't had the patience to make notes and write up a Game thoughts entry for the last couple games. Then yesterday, I only caught bits and pieces of the game and had to wait for the replay to be posted to go over it.

Anyway, here's a few thoughts.

1. The flagrant on Griffin was marginal. I love that Williams went right into the ensuing melee.
  2. KO did not spend the entire game with that awful crying look on his face. A few times it looked like it was starting to come out, but he ended up going with a kind of quizzical, "What the hell was that all about?" look.
  3. JA really got pumped with that assist at the end of the half. Haven't seen him jumping and trying to charge the crowd up like that in a while.
  4. If Fall gets the ball with his hands more than about 18 inches from the basket, the odds of something bad and or clumsy/awkward happening are much greater than the chances of him scoring. He literally cannot advance the ball toward the hoop if he has to move his feet. I'm not sure I saw him dribble the ball even one bounce.
  5. Vital opening the 2nd half with a steal and layin followed by a three took whatever wind Dawkins had blown into their sails in the locker room right out of them.
  6. When did it stop being a travel when a man on the floor with posession slides across the floor for 5 or 6 feet?
  7. When driving or making a spin move, UCF players all seem to lead with their off hand. Or their elbow. They could and should be called for a lot more fouls because of it. For the whole team to do it (with the exception of Fall, who just doesn't make those moves) suggests to me that Dawkins coaches it.
  8. Whalley's offensive board on a late in the clock attempt with 3 and change to go, giving UConn the oopportunity to burn another 20 plus seconds before AA hit a little baseline jumper was a back breaker for UCF.
  9. We are now 6 and 0 when leading at the half.
  10. We didn't shoot well at all. But Ollie coached well. Well enough to beat Dawkins anyway. His gameplan was better and his in-game adjustments were better.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I thought it was traveling when the player tries to get up. Meaning, your down, stay down to pass, call timeout or a tie up. Maybe that was the rule when there was a jump ball after every basket.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I thought it was traveling when the player tries to get up. Meaning, your down, stay down to pass, call timeout or a tie up. Maybe that was the rule when there was a jump ball after every basket.

I believe you are correct. You are allowed to slide (not like it's physically possible for you to stop, and this rule makes far more sense than allowing jump stops which are nothing more than a randomly legalized travel. You just can't roll over or try to get up.

Reaction Score
#6. You could technically slide all the way down the floor if you could without drive bling and it is not a travel. Changed maybe 5-10 years ago I think.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't understand how the ref could call a time out for a player who doesn't have possession in the middle of the scrum. That happened right in front of me Wednesday - call for CFU

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So a player could technically pencil roll down the court and not be called for travel? On the play before Tulsa tied it their guy was rolling and sliding with the ball. I guess it was just an awkward looking play but not illegal?

the Q

Reaction Score
So a player could technically pencil roll down the court and not be called for travel? On the play before Tulsa tied it their guy was rolling and sliding with the ball. I guess it was just an awkward looking play but not illegal?

You cannot roll over. But you could head first slide all the way down the floor, if physically possible.

Reaction Score
I was at the game so I did not see the replay (as they show very few replays at Gampel)...did a UCF player attempt an intentional trip (ala Grayson Allen) on one of our guys in the second half on a loose ball? It sure looked like it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was at the game so I did not see the replay (as they show very few replays at Gampel)...did a UCF player attempt an intentional trip (ala Grayson Allen) on one of our guys in the second half on a loose ball? It sure looked like it.
Jalen got his legs wrapped up going after a loose ball yeah.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You cannot roll over. But you could head first slide all the way down the floor, if physically possible.
The Tulsa player I’m referencing was doing a full rhythmic gymnastics routine

the Q

Reaction Score
The Tulsa player I’m referencing was doing a full rhythmic gymnastics routine

LOL.

Yeah I just referencing the pencil roll comment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom