Game thoughts - Arizona | The Boneyard

Game thoughts - Arizona

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As I said last night. I didn't get to see any of the game until the collapse at the end. Watched it today -- much of it twice -- and don't feel as bad, but still have mixed feelings about the game.
  1. Refs awful early, but at least they were equally awful in both directions. Seemed like they were set on not allowing any contact at all.
  2. First timeout, and I had to kill the sound. I hate watching with no play-by-play or analysis, but it's even worse with the drivel of a burnt out, drug addled mind running non stop. I find it impossible to listen to Walton.
  3. I'm fine with Larrier bouncing the ball ONCE. Twice is at least one too many dribbles for him. He seems to somehow dribble it off the heel of his hand pretty often. About the only time he handles cleanly is when he makes that little spin move from back to the basket to taking a 12 foot fall away jumper. Does it like he's been working on that one shot his whole life.
  4. 9:09~9:04 -- I hadn't seen a 'Closely Guarded' 5 second call in forever until Larrier got tagged with it then.
  5. How the hell did Trier not get T'd up slamming the ball down and bitching all the way down court after he got called for the offensive foul at about 3:35 in the first half? It was a pretty ticky-tacky call, but it wasn't an egregiously bad one, considering how tight they were calling the game in the 1st half.
  6. Ayton was ineffective early in the first half, then sat most of the half with foul trouble, and ended up with only 9 points. His 5 dimes were far more damaging than his scoring. But Ristic ate us alive.
  7. The offensive possession that tied the score at 30 at around 17:30 2nd half was about the most cohesive and purposeful possession this team has shown me this season.
  8. 4 consecutive AZ 3 pointers about 6 minutes into the 2nd half. Well designed plays that worked beautifully. Made me kind of jealous.
  9. They put up a banner to tweet questions to Walton to get them answered on air. If I had been watching live, I would have asked him if he ever shuts the ____ up.
  10. Nice flush by CV on the breakaway at 12:16.
  11. As flat as his shot (jumper and free throw both) is, it's amazing Larrier is as good a shooter as he is.
  12. Diarra and Carlton seemed to do a pretty decent job against Ayton, and overall we did a good job of double and even triple teaming him when he got the ball in or near the low post. It cost us a few threes, as he's a good passer for a big, but he looked very indecisive most of the game. Good job in the strategy and the execution both.
  13. After calling the game very close for the first 30 minutes or so, the refs eased off late in the game. AZ adjusted to it immediately. Almost like they knew it was coming?
  14. Good game by CV - especially in the 2nd half. Looks like he's getting back to what he showed us 2nd half of the season last year. Only 11 points, but 7 boards and 3 steals is impressive. I really thought he was key in keeping us in the game.
  15. We were shooting the lights out in the 2nd half, until the wheels came off the last few minutes.
  16. AA's strong play from earlier this season wasn't there at all.
  17. Five TOs for Jalen is way too many. Two assists is way to few. Missing Alterique and pining for Akinjo.
  18. The turnover display was hideous. The lack of dimes was disheartening. Yet we were in it, within range of winning it, against a very talented, bigger and well coached team, for 35 minutes or so.
  19. The rebounding was encouraging, and the foul shooting superb (although we didn't get to the line enough).
  20. There appeared to be a real gameplan, and for the most part, the guys followed it. The double big, double teaming of Ayton. And the passing on the perimeter appeared to be done with a purpose, rather than just to buy time until one of the guys thought he saw enough of an opening to go one on one. So yeah, I think there was improvement, even though there were still some inexplicable holes in our game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with mostly everything, as usual excellent stuff RichZ. Agree big time on the passes Ayton was able to deliver out of the double teams, kids going to be special.

One huge issue I have after reviewing the boxscore is the minutes Onuorah received. If he gets 20 minutes and Diarra, Carlton, Cobb and Whaley all get less we are not putting our best team on the floor. We have enough guys to let a couple foul out, just because Whaley has 2 immediately doesn't mean he can't come back in and the same goes for the others. David is a wonderful kid, but he has no offensive skills and killed us on at least 2 possessions on that end. Carlton getting 10 and he 20 should have been the opposite for sure.

Reaction Score
The 5 second call- I thought they got rid of that rule as it hasn't been called in forever. Our bigs are trying to box out so having the guards rebounding can be a real plus and CV came up big. Agree on DO. We are fast approaching the time when playing the young guys up front has to be the strategy. Don't know why Whaley was not put back in, who cares if he fouls out. He's quick, play him. Jalen is the same player he was last year. What did he work on in the offseason? Our big three with the ball, JA, CV, and TL can't have that many lost handles and expect us to win. Once Zona got hot from 3 we were doomed. Out of all our problems scoring the ball is #1. The team played hard and I hope they get rewarded Saturday as I think they will again but every game is going to be a battle.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
One huge issue I have after reviewing the boxscore is the minutes Onuorah received. If he gets 20 minutes and Diarra, Carlton, Cobb and Whaley all get less we are not putting our best team on the floor... ...Carlton getting 10 and he 20 should have been the opposite for sure.

Couldn't agree more. I started to write about him, but there was nothing to mention, other than he occupied space on the floor for too many minutes.

The 5 second call- I thought they got rid of that rule as it hasn't been called in forever.

That is exactly what my thought was.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The non technical call hurt at the time and would have helped uconn greatly and quiet the crowd.

Uconn can play 35 good minute but needs to put in another 5 to win games like these

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom