Game take aways | The Boneyard

Game take aways

Reaction Score
first, Geno close with Justine - his take away - take away some uniforms.

POG - prayers of the game - status of Gabby and KLS - looked a bit like knee for Williams from the twisting landing and that damn ankle again for Lou.

Finally - subs showed they are not ready for prime time.

Reaction Score

POG - prayers of the game - status of Gabby and KLS - looked a bit like knee for Williams from the twisting landing and that damn ankle again for Lou.

I agree, both Katie Lou and Gabby need "prayers".:D

Reaction Score
the irony is Geno is going to need that bench more then ever now..............

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The biggest prayer for this team should be developing a few bench players between now and the end of the regular season. Without somebody other than Stevens who's reliable, we aren't winning NC No. 12 this year. We learned that lesson last season in the Final Four.

Six players are not enough. Injuries, foul trouble, bad matchups against a particular opponent...some or all of these things can and will happen at some point. Without any bench, your season can be over in any given 40 minute NCAA tourney game.

Reaction Score

It was reported as the aggravation of a hip flexor injury that Williams has been dealing with. I also immediately thought knee when I first saw her limping.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Geno is not being GENO at this point... I have to believe he needs to find the way to build his team up as the season winds down to give them his Confidence going forward. Maybe we'll see that start in the next game...assuming Lou and Gabby are playing. We have the Best Team in WBB... and they need to know their Coach believes in them....rather than tearing them down... just my Opinion. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It was reported as the aggravation of a hip flexor injury that Williams has been dealing with. I also immediately thought knee when I first saw her limping.
Me too. Awkward landing. I thought she grabbed at her knee. I'll have to check the replay.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Geno is not being GENO at this point... I have to believe he needs to find the way to build his team up as the season winds down to give them his Confidence going forward. Maybe we'll see that start in the next game...assuming Lou and Gabby are playing. We have the Best Team in WBB... and they need to know their Coach believes in them....rather than tearing them down... just my Opinion. :)

Since he wants to play 5 deep, 6-12 should ask for a transfer.

Reaction Score
So, the "good news" is that the next 3 games are against AAC Teams (Temple, Tulane and Cinci).... should be a good opportunity to fix things; Maybe not every thing, but enough things to get the Starting 5 + Z playing like they did in the games in December when there was great flow, solid defense and Husky Basketball... and to work in one or two other reserves at a time to find the right mix/match for the tournaments. After Cinci, it's South Carolina away. Need to have things back together and our team with some confidence by then.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I agree. He has done enough PUBLIC complaining. He and his crew get paid to develop the young players...........DO IT!!

Reaction Score
Geno’s Coaches, Shea and Moseley have done little to develop Molly and Kayla in 18 months.
They are paid very well and they recruited these players so help them. They are doing a poor job with freshman too. As a season ticket holder, Geno needs to admit his coaches need to do a better job in working with kids rather than taking their uniforms away!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. He has done enough PUBLIC complaining. He and his crew get paid to develop the young players......DO IT!!

Geno’s Coaches, Shea and Moseley have done little to develop Molly and Kayla in 18 months.
They are paid very well and they recruited these players so help them. They are doing a poor job with freshman too. As a season ticket holder, Geno needs to admit his coaches need to do a better job in working with kids rather than taking their uniforms away!
Wow, some of you guys just have no clue how UCONN works. Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You seem to have a penchant for criticizing Shea & Marissa. How do you know what they’ve done to develop Molly & Kyla?

Molly & Kyla seem to be wonderful young ladies, but neither was ranked by any of the recruiting services. UConn had signed only 1 Blue Chip recruit, Crystal, from the class of 2016.

They signed Molly & Kyla late to fill out the class with the hope that they could eventually become contributors on the court. Neither of them are there yet. Let’s give them some time.

Reaction Score
The biggest prayer for this team should be developing a few bench players between now and the end of the regular season. Without somebody other than Stevens who's reliable, we aren't winning NC No. 12 this year. We learned that lesson last season in the Final Four.

Six players are not enough. Injuries, foul trouble, bad matchups against a particular opponent...some or all of these things can and will happen at some point. Without any bench, your season can be over in any given 40 minute NCAA tourney game.
That's empirically not the case. The 2009, 2010, 2014, and 2015 national championship teams only went 6 deep when the rubber met the road.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's empirically not the case. The 2009, 2010, 2014, and 2015 national championship teams only went 6 deep when the rubber met the road.
You can add the championship game in 2016 after Lou broke her foot in the semifinal.

Reaction Score
the irony is Geno is going to need that bench more then ever now....

Preface: The starting 5---2 played near 4 years together, add 2 more 4 played 3 years together, add Danger 18 months together
Frosh--and Sophs---7 months or less playing together---
Point is---it is just BIASED to think the frosh would look or play like the starting 5 or 6.
Both the Starters and Frosh gave up open 3's and easy layups--
AZURA was the "starter" that opened up the score---not just the core 5.

Molly with the starters , with one bobble, looked like she belonged.
Geno was teaching Coombs (does he know something we don't know?)
The FROSH--shot and should have been thinking passing--thats a teaching moment--not a disaster
The FROSH--played the first string of TULSA--with great 3 ball shooters.
The whole time the Frosh was in--I enjoyed it--that gave GENO REAL game to teach about--plus

All in all that whole experience was a great experiment --- Charlie, I think (if Geno thinks about it-he found at least 2 maybe 3 who can give him minutes of relief )--with out great fear of disaster if he spends the week teaching frosh and sophs and allows the starting 5 to rest.

Reaction Score
Preface: The starting 5---2 played near 4 years together, add 2 more 4 played 3 years together, add Danger 18 months together
Point is---it is just BIASED to think the frosh would look or play like the starting 5 or 6.

The FROSH--shot and should have been thinking passing--thats a teaching moment--not a disaster
The whole time the Frosh was in--I enjoyed it--that gave GENO REAL game to teach about--plus

All in all that whole experience was a great experiment --- Charlie, I think (if Geno thinks about it-he found at least 2 maybe 3 who can give him minutes of relief )--with out great fear of disaster if he spends the week teaching frosh and sophs and allows the starting 5 to rest.

Hard to know what Geno is thinking but due to injury he will have to play the bench to some degree like it or not and that is actually where we will find a diamond in the rough..............I'm not buying the idea that Walker and Coombs can't play with the starters.............they may not be mistake free but frankly either are the starters these days.............

Reaction Score

Hard to know what Geno is thinking but due to injury he will have to play the bench to some degree like it or not and that is actually where we will find a diamond in the rough....I'm not buying the idea that Walker and Coombs can't play with the starters...they may not be mistake free but frankly either are the starters these days...

May I join your congregation? Seems I like your "religious" views-- If one opens their views, drops some biases, the improbably becomes more possible--AS NEEDED.

Reaction Score
I am thinking that Geno threw the bench players in the deep end in the second quarter as a wakeup call. He has played many of them individually with the starters for short stretches. Offhand I can recall Walker, Coombs, Bent, and Irwin getting some "quality minutes" . The problem with only doing that is that they don't have to really respond and play their best. The other starters carry the team and often they play so as not to screw up. They can delude themselves that they are doing all right. But put them in together and they have to perform! Although they likely play together often in practice, they seemed to forget what to do and played too fast and messed up on some basic stuff you know they know how to do.

So now Geno really has their attention. Even without any coaches' input, they cannot be happy with how they played. Lets see if they can translate that into better focus and execution.

My prediction for the Temple game is that Geno slots bench players in one or two at a time to now give them a better chance to succeed and progress. He has broken the eggs. Now to make the omelets! ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with Monte! I would also
play two bench players with three starters......not 5 at once. Really?

Reaction Score
You seem to have a penchant for criticizing Shea & Marissa. How do you know what they’ve done to develop Molly & Kyla?

Molly & Kyla seem to be wonderful young ladies, but neither was ranked by any of the recruiting services. UConn had signed only 1 Blue Chip recruit, Crystal, from the class of 2016.

They signed Molly & Kyla late to fill out the class with the hope that they could eventually become contributors on the court. Neither of them are there yet. Let’s give them some time.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Wow, some of you guys just have no clue how UCONN works. Head bang
We are waiting for smart people like you, to explain it for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom