Game Sunday? | The Boneyard

Game Sunday?

Reaction Score
Hope the team is already in RI or we will have another cancellation. Rhode Island governor just declared a travel ban due to snow storm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I posted elsewhere, the snow will stop in a few hrs, and then it’s just a matter of plowing US 44, which is a straight shot from Storrs to Providence. I’m sure the plows will be out all night. The guys that drive them love this weather, along with the overtime pay that comes with it.

Reaction Score
Not trying to sow confusion, but I have to ask: Did they change gametime yet again? My Spectrum (cable provider) channel listing/schedule for SNY has it at 9 PM tomorrow, with the UConn hockey tournament extending till then.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not trying to sow confusion, but I have to ask: Did they change gametime yet again? My Spectrum (cable provider) channel listing/schedule for SNY has it at 9 PM tomorrow, with the UConn hockey tournament extending till then.
Where I am, SNY posts Hockey ends at 7PM, post game hockey to 7:30 and then the UConn game at 7:30

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can’t speak for your cable provider. But UConn, Providence & ESPN all list the game as a 7:30 start.

Reaction Score
Can’t speak for your cable provider. But UConn, Providence & ESPN all list the game as a 7:30 start.
Thanks. Guess I will just have to check in at 7:30; and they may fix it by tomorrow. I just dont want to miss the game....

Reaction Score
As I posted elsewhere, the snow will stop in a few hrs, and then it’s just a matter of plowing US 44, which is a straight shot from Storrs to Providence. I’m sure the plows will be out all night. The guys that drive them love this weather, along with the overtime pay that comes with it.
My husband plowed for the DOT before he retired. He wasn’t a full time driver, but an extra who signed up to plow. I’m guessing that by now the drivers are exhausted, cranky, and just plain sick of snow. Most of them will work straight through until Monday, with just a few 3 and 5 hour rest breaks. The money is great, but it’s demanding work. The biggest problem with this storm will be the wind, because it will blow snow back onto the roads after the are cleared.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's still snowing moderately in Providence, but should stop in a few hours. Accumulation will be just under 30". I hope people stay safe, and the dig out can begin at sunrise. Windchill is -6.

Reaction Score
Your provider is just slow to get up to date. The 9 PM start that it lists is for what would
have been a rebroadcast of the game originally scheduled for 11AM.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know if folks missed this part of the change in schedule. I did. Not only was the game time changed from 11am to 7:30pm, but the venue was changed as well.

Originally, the game was scheduled for the 12,000 seat Dunkin Donuts Center in downtown Providence. The Providence MBB team had a similar weather related problem with their scheduled game vs Marquette. That game was moved to 12:30pm today at the Dunkin Donuts Center as the WBB game was moved to the 2600 seat Alumni Hall on campus.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The bus doesn’t have to take the back roads. It’s more miles, but it’s possible to take the highway/Mass PIke or I 95 to Providence

Reaction Score
It appears you are assuming they are pushing all 26 inches. Typically in Ct they are out on the highways with the first snow flakes (the real ones not those that depart for warmer clime). In Quebec prov they have snow blowers on trucks and snow blow it up 15 ft high.
I've pushed, on my long driveway, 24 inch of snow way too many times and driven on 44 to Providence in blinding snow, not fun but do-able.

Point of order - UConn is not in Hartford.
Don't tell those that are going to the Uconn Branch that it isn't Uconn. (In Hartford). I didn't refer to hartford, I was driving from Storrs at that time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The bus doesn’t have to take the back roads. It’s more miles, but it’s possible to take the highway/Mass PIke or I 95 to Providence
That’s a bit of a challenge. To get to I95 from Storrs, you still have to go east on US-44 to I395 and then south to I95 or you have to go south on one or more state roads to I95. Either way, you have a much longer drive and you still don’t avoid state roads.

As for the Mass Pike route, you either go west on state roads to I-84, then north to the Mass Pike, or you head north on state roads to the Mass Pike. Then, when you get close to Boston you head south on I-495. Also long and circuitous.

Back to the US-44 route. 44 is hardly a back road and as I mentioned it’s a straight shot from Storrs to Providence. I have no doubt that the plows have already been out and I imagine that the team is either on the road already or will be soon.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom