Game Replay: UConn vs. New Haven | The Boneyard

Game Replay: UConn vs. New Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This shows a lot to me. They seem to have all they need to make a good team. Everything depends on chemistry and the rotation. Defense, especially down low, leaves much to be desired. Brimah, Enoch and Jackson need to pick it up down there. Overall, some of the ballhandling by the guards was sloppy, and the team really needs to look for the extra pass (they played a bit selfishly), but for a bunch of guys who haven't played together much, they looked remarkably fluid (granted, against New Haven). Some better decision-making, and tightening up the interior D, and this would have been a different game. But again, they have the ingredients--they just need to find the right mix.

Also, I should add, it seems pretty evident that this is Jalen Adams's team now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the Adams era. The Dham era was fatally flawed.
This shows a lot to me. They seem to have all they need to make a good team. Everything depends on chemistry and the rotation. Defense, especially down low, leaves much to be desired. Brimah, Enoch and Jackson need to pick it up down there. Overall, some of the ballhandling by the guards was sloppy, and the team really needs to look for the extra pass (they played a bit selfishly), but for a bunch of guys who haven't played together much, they looked remarkably fluid (granted, against New Haven). Some better decision-making, and tightening up the interior D, and this would have been a different game. But again, they have the ingredients--they just need to find the right mix.

Also, I should add, it seems pretty evident that this is Jalen Adams's team now.

Reaction Score
My concerns lie with Purvis, Amida, and Enoch. I know it's one game but they're looking a lot like what we saw from them last year. I know we didn't see much of Amida, and Purvis and Enoch had their spurts here and there, but I'm a little worried with their overall improvement from last year and what they'll be able to bring to the table.

Telling by this game alone I think it's pretty obvious that this team will go as Terry and Jalen go. Best offensive weapons and natural feel for the game, makes sense being the top pro prospects on the team. I'm not hearing as much love for Alterique on the BY as I would like. I think he looked great in this game. Great court vision setting up people the entire game, and I think by the end of the year will be our best player in the open court. Obviously having Vance's shooting touch is going to be huge throughout the entire season as well, let's hope he keeps it up in more important games. Also I know we barely saw him, but once Durham gets his knees under him and a little more confidence he's going to be one he11 of a player. Let's pray he stays healthy.

Reaction Score
I thought the ball movement was good, particularly in the first five minutes and during the run in the second half. Didn't see upstater's "selfishness" at all. When ball movement stalled it was more an issue of players being out of sync.

Interior defense was bad, but we had no trouble rebounding. Even Brimah was effective on the boards when in the game (save one where he looked like he had no idea where the ball was).

If you're expecting major improvements from guys like Purvis and Brimah you're going to be disappointed. Pretty clear that they are what they are at this point. If Rodney can make marginal improvements in his decision making and passing and Brimah can rebound just a bit better, that's about all we can hope for. Those hoping for a Hilton-esque improvement from Facey have reason to be optimistic.

I thought Gilbert struggled quite a bit. He's obviously skilled but of the newcomers he looked the most out of sync with the rest of the offense, and he made some glaring mistakes defensively. There is clearly a great deal of talent there, however.

The first four minutes were the most encouraging. Good ball movement that led to open shots (even if we missed), the best defensive stretch of the game with some effective pressure thrown in, and dominance on the glass.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Larrier looks as though he can rebound and play the 4.
Hard to keep Vance of the court if he is hitting long threes.
Purvis will have to be defensive stopper.
Center by committee.

Reaction Score
I thought the ball movement was good, particularly in the first five minutes and during the run in the second half. Didn't see upstater's "selfishness" at all. When ball movement stalled it was more an issue of players being out of sync.

Interior defense was bad, but we had no trouble rebounding. Even Brimah was effective on the boards when in the game (save one where he looked like he had no idea where the ball was).

If you're expecting major improvements from guys like Purvis and Brimah you're going to be disappointed. Pretty clear that they are what they are at this point. If Rodney can make marginal improvements in his decision making and passing and Brimah can rebound just a bit better, that's about all we can hope for. Those hoping for a Hilton-esque improvement from Facey have reason to be optimistic.

I thought Gilbert struggled quite a bit. He's obviously skilled but of the newcomers he looked the most out of sync with the rest of the offense, and he made some glaring mistakes defensively. There is clearly a great deal of talent there, however.

The first four minutes were the most encouraging. Good ball movement that led to open shots (even if we missed), the best defensive stretch of the game with some effective pressure thrown in, and dominance on the glass.

Thanks EX good to hear about the rebounding which will be a vital piece.

Reaction Score
My concerns lie with Purvis, Amida, and Enoch. I know it's one game but they're looking a lot like what we saw from them last year. I know we didn't see much of Amida, and Purvis and Enoch had their spurts here and there, but I'm a little worried with their overall improvement from last year and what they'll be able to bring to the table.

Telling by this game alone I think it's pretty obvious that this team will go as Terry and Jalen go. Best offensive weapons and natural feel for the game, makes sense being the top pro prospects on the team. I'm not hearing as much love for Alterique on the BY as I would like. I think he looked great in this game. Great court vision setting up people the entire game, and I think by the end of the year will be our best player in the open court. Obviously having Vance's shooting touch is going to be huge throughout the entire season as well, let's hope he keeps it up in more important games. Also I know we barely saw him, but once Durham gets his knees under him and a little more confidence he's going to be one he11 of a player. Let's pray he stays healthy.

I share your assessment almost totally. Would suggest, though, that Enoch gave promise of better things during the second-half spurt. While it was Alterique, Terry and Vance who engineered the run, they had help in the post first from Facey and then Enoch (2 boards, 4 points). Interestingly, Jalen, Rodney and Amida had no part in it. I left the game disappointed in AG (poor shooting, defensive lapses), but viewing the video, I see now that he indeed was the catalyst of the 2nd half run. The offense, in every case, started with him. Agree also that Durham is the wildcard in the outlook for this year. Right now, he defines the word "gangly," looking like nothing so much as a yearling thoroughbred. But there is a natural, latent fluidity there -- and, by god, he's a full half-foot taller than Diarra. I agree with many here that Gilbert, Adams, Facey, Larrier and Jackson is the best line-up, with the chance that Enoch (and maybe Durham) will eventually win the post position. We must hope to God that Purvis and Brimah are headed for the bench, RP as a key 6th man and AB as a defensive last resort. If UConn is to run an offense, Brimah must NOT be on the court.

Reaction Score

As I wrote though, I saw a lot of good ball movement, and I was happy about that. Selfishness refers to shot selection, difficult contested shots when there are people open. One more pass needed.

Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Bench Purvis?

I want Vance out there too, but if D2 small forwards are blowing by him, then he can only play the 4 position for now. He does look like he can rebound and help bring the ball up the court, and naturally if he's trailing, he can find the open spot and hit a 3.

Defense is a huge concern for Jackson and Enoch at this point.

Reaction Score
I just want three things from Purvis:

1. To be a defensive stopper, he has shown the ability to really effect the game defensively and get run outs on offense because of it.

2. Crash the glass, he is too big and athletic to be a bad rebounder. like KO has been telling him there is no excuse for guys like Bazz,Boat and Kemba to be better Rebounder's than he has been.

3. When he is feeling it keep attacking, we have seen over his career here that when he gets hot he can carry the offense. There should be enough players here where it doesn't have to be there every game but when it is I want to see him take the game over.

Anything else like for example making layups more consistently is just gravy, he can be an impavtful player for this team if he just does those three things.

Reaction Score
Championships are won and lost in preseason games!!!!!!!!!!

Had to put your theory to immediate test. :D

Cactus League 2016 Standings

2nd to Last: Chicago Cubbies: 11-19

Reaction Score
Not sure if some of these guys got bigger or its the new tank top jerseys playing tricks on me

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just watching now. Like combo of Larrier, Gilbert, Jackson. They look great together.

Reaction Score
Not sure if some of these guys got bigger or its the new tank top jerseys playing tricks on me
Brimah 100% looks bigger I agree. if you juxtapose a pic from his frosh year and now its pretty serious gains. Larrier also looks a bit bigger despite ollie hinting that he didn't really add any muscle earlier in the summer.

Reaction Score
Making player evaluation on this game wher KO was just taking a look a a bunch of individuals and projecting into the regular season is a little like watching a spring practice baseball game where the star is guy or guys that end up in Triple A

Is UNH finally going to make a move to D1 ? Long overdue
There biggest rival was QC who has left them in the dust .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom