Game One: Husky15 vs. Scoe | The Boneyard

Game One: Husky15 vs. Scoe

Which team wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm putting the threads up a little early tonight.

Husky15

G -
Khalid El-Amin
G - Albert Mouring
G - Jeremy Lamb
F - DeAndre Daniels
C - Emeka Okafor

Bench:

Tate George
Rod Sellers

Scoe

G -
Shabazz Napier
G - Ryan Boatright
G - Rashad Anderson
F - Kevin Freeman
F - Charlie Villanueva

Bench:

Tony Robertson
Charles Okwandu

Reaction Score
Ehh, Florida, MSU, Iowa State, and Kentucky were all "better" than we were and Napier + Boatright still got the job done. I'll take them here too

Reaction Score
very tough matchup. I like this one a lot. The real question is whether K Free or Charlie could guard Mek. You may see my boy Charles Okwandu getting early burn to match up. Hard to go against the 2014 backcourt though. I like Mouring, but Boat at his peak would eat him up. Big advantage there. J Lamb v. Rashad is intriguing. Overall, very interesting - almost a toss up for me. I think I still go Mek's team though, just think he'd be the difference in controlling the boards and getting inside buckets. KEA would hold his own against Bazz. Great game though!

Reaction Score
I want to pick Scoe. I love that he got Napier and Boatright for his backcourt. Freeman and Anderson are also solid pick-ups (although Anderson as a starter is a little weak because of his defense). I just don't see how Charlie has any chance against Emeka since Charlie was never known for his defense, and Okwandu should probably not have been drafted at all.

What makes this close is that Husky15's perimeter defense is not good. Lamb is good at the 3, but KEA and Mouring are going to get continually burned by Napier, Boatright, and Robertson. A Tate and KEA will be better, but not enough to stop those three guys from getting into the lane...They're going to get to the rim at will and challenge Okafor. Okafor was great at staying out of foul trouble, but it did happen in some big games (Maryland and Duke). My guess is that Scoe wants Villlanueva to pull Okafor away from the basket, but Freeman is not ideal for that, since Okafor can guard him and Daniels can guard Villanueva.

Tough tough matchup. I think I'm going to have to go with Husky15.

Reaction Score
This is my lineup:

G Shabazz Napier
G Ryan Boatright
F Charlie Villlanueva
F Kevin Freeman
C Charles Okwandu

Bench

Rashad Anderson
Tony Robertson

Reaction Score
I think this is the most interesting match-up of the tournament so far. My brain is telling me to pick Husky15, and my gut is telling me to pick Scoe.

If you want to contextualize for a moment just how dominant of a run this program has had, look at those lineups again. What do they both have in common? Everybody in both starting lineups won a championship. That's f'in remarkable. I was about to trot out the "it's hard to bet against all the champions on Scoe's team" reasoning before I realized the exact same thing could be said for Husky15.

Regardless, I'm picking Scoe. I just can't pick against Napier/Boatright in an elimination game. Just can't do it. Napier was 12-1 in the NCAA Tournament (12-1!). And his one loss was with a dysfunctional team that had a couple characters who may not have valued winning quite in the same way guys like Freeman do. Tzznandrew is correct in what he says about Husky15's perimeter defense. Napier and Boatright carved up every defense they faced in the tournament and that was without a capable finisher at the five position (as well as Nolan and Brimah played, think of how many times they were stuffed against Kentucky). Against El-Amin, Mourning, and Lamb - with Anderson as a release valve when Okafor arrives for help - I imagine those two will cause a lot of trouble. And, for as good as Emeka was, he is neutralized to a certain extent in this match-up because of Napier's craftiness and potency from deep. He's not going to bang his head into a wall trying to finish at the rim like certain opponents did in '04.

Edit: wow, did not expect the voting to be that lopsided.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm on the "wrong" side of the vote. As good as Okafor, Lamb and Daniels are as a front court, they need to get the ball to score and Boat and Bazz are going make that very, very difficult. I was all set to vote for 15. KEA is one of my all time favorite Huskies, but once I saw the opposing guards, it was over.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Scoe, rebounding is the only real difference between the two teams. Other than that, it's practically a mirror image. Swap someone like Jake for Chuck and it's a much bigger gap. Same if Rudy or Rip for Mouring.

Two good teams though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc