Game on FS1 [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game on FS1 [merged thread]

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I muted the entire second half and overtime.
The announcers just babbled and added no insights into what is happening in the game.

Reaction Score
Monica McNutt, the analyst, was a player at Georgetown, who works for the ACC Network at ESPN. I have seen, and maybe I'm sensitive, but a very obvious amount of anti-UCONN rhetoric coming from our friends in Bristol.

I told a few people that McNutt seemed like she was talking with friends at a bar and trying to brag about how close she was to the SC program. She was legit, a fan of SC last night and it was unprofessional at the highest level. I never would've dreamed that I would have done anything to listen Antonelli or Peck, but here we are.

Last year when we played at Seton Hall of FS1(go watch and listen), Monica called the game. I thought she seemed to not like us at all, I chalked it up to Seton Hall being in the Big East, Fox having the rights to the game, and that she was being sort of what Megan Culmo is during an SNY broadcast. I figured when we'd join the BE, if she called the game again, it would be more unbiased. But clearly, I was wrong. It was painfully obvious to me that she was rooting for SC last night. When she started referring to Destanni Henderson as "Henny" like she was the team manager trying to be cool, I almost choked.

I might re-watch the game and write them all down. HA.

Reaction Score
I think their next gig is announcing the national checkers tournament..should be great fun.

Reaction Score
One last thing because I'm fired up about this. Go listen to her talk about A'ja Wilson and USA basketball, it's odd. She sounds like the old lady trying to be cool.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I actually didn’t mind the commentary. Thought they were just fine.
And personable and different. I'll take those 2 over the SNY group anytime. We all know why some had problems with them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Monica McNutt, the analyst, was a player at Georgetown, who works for the ACC Network at ESPN. I have seen, and maybe I'm sensitive, but a very obvious amount of anti-UCONN rhetoric coming from our friends in Bristol.

I told a few people that McNutt seemed like she was talking with friends at a bar and trying to brag about how close she was to the SC program. She was legit, a fan of SC last night and it was unprofessional at the highest level. I never would've dreamed that I would have done anything to listen Antonelli or Peck, but here we are.

Last year when we played at Seton Hall of FS1(go watch and listen), Monica called the game. I thought she seemed to not like us at all, I chalked it up to Seton Hall being in the Big East, Fox having the rights to the game, and that she was being sort of what Megan Culmo is during an SNY broadcast. I figured when we'd join the BE, if she called the game again, it would be more unbiased. But clearly, I was wrong. It was painfully obvious to me that she was rooting for SC last night. When she started referring to Destanni Henderson as "Henny" like she was the team manager trying to be cool, I almost choked.

I might re-watch the game and write them all down. HA.
She was crazy bias for SC. She was saying things like "I thought we had them there" when SC blew a play. It was just odd. Other than than that, they weren't engaged or informed. Maybe not a fail, but a D-.

Reaction Score
I generally don't notice the announcers too much, unless they are truly awful. Last night was the first time in at least 5 years that I muted the TV and turned on Bob Joyce on the radio. TV and radio didn't sync up, but I was willing to put up with that rather than listen to Lisa and Monica on FS1. Being a former D1 player, I would have expected McNutt to provide some basketball insight. Instead she sounded like a cheerleader on a group chat with her friends.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Miss ESPN after that disaster. Would even had preferred Antonelli. Did I just say that? Lol
Didn't Antonelli do the Oregon Arizona last night? Yup terrible. They dissed UConn

Reaction Score
The good news (for me): Fox1 is "free" on my Comcast system.
I listened to the commentary and figured "they're not professionals - maybe they're auditioning".
Given the physical struggle on both sides, I would have appreciated some break down of what was going on. Maybe it was the Nike or the Wilson ball that was causing the tumult <G> What's that about Coach Staley?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Monica McNutt played for Georgetown during the Tina/Maya years. She typically had quite a lot to say before and after games. She thought Georgetown should be an E8 team every year (they weren’t). She once referred to Stef Dolson as "lumbering" during Stef's freshman year. I guess she was, but I don't think Stef's UConn teams ever lost to Georgetown and Stef eventually lumbered her way to two national championships, All-American and the WNBA.

McNutt is relatively new at broadcasting. It’s not easy. She’ll get better.

Reaction Score
Which annoyed you more, the number of whistles or the commentators who didn’t add to the game but enjoyed hearing their own voice?
Worst IMO is when your team did something outstanding and they would ignore it and continue their ongoing conversations---which sometimes had nothing to do with the game they were supposed to be commenting about.

Reaction Score
I thought Byington was good, but McNutt was rough. Couldn't pronounce Nelson-Ododa prooperly, just was way too casual the way she was speaking about the game.

Reaction Score
LaChina Robinson, who I have the MOST respect for and like a lot, even tweeted her excitement for Monica yesterday. I think she needs to sit down with her and go over this game, focusing on just her performance and help her. Debbie Antonelli is a well known pro SC and ACC homer, but even she has never done anything like what McNutt did last night. I think Byington is fine, but even she couldn't get that under control.

I'm all for cutting someone some slack because they're new at their job, but the blatant rooting for SC and announcing that game, seemingly as a as a Gamecock/Staley/"Henny" fan, is unprofessionalism it it's highest level. And again, this game was on FS1 because the Big East has a Fox contract. If anything, it should have been pro conference that your network has a contract with. Instead, it was the exact opposite.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? I was contemplating getting in my car and driving five hours to Storrs just so I could tell the color commentator she sucked as she walked out of Gampel.
I couldn't agree more and in addition spent a great deal of their time cackling about what they thought were jokes. I am not a huge fan of M. Culmo but I found myself wishing she would show up and take over the color. FS1 should hang their collective heads over the coverage of the game. A lot of times less is more after all it was TV my guess is most found the coverage to be a dud.

Reaction Score
I wrote a couple of days ago that Fox stole this game from ESPN and we would probably get a couple of hacks that don’t know our team. Well turns out it was worse than that. I’m certain that the color person was from the SEC network. All she kept saying was she couldn’t understand why SC was so disoriented during the game. Hey dumbo, it’s called defense, good defense. Not once did she give UConn credit for giving them fits during the game. She even complimented ONO on her outside shooting, saying how great she was all year. I don’t know about you guys, but I cringed and yelled at the tv every time she put one up. Still I think she did a good job on Boston, a really great player. As great as Paige is, it’s not a good sign when one player scores half the points. I hope the other juniors can get their act together because we need them to perform. CW had to play her worst game of the year and EW was basically a ghost in the first half. The encouraging thing is we still won. If they can get it together we can really win it this year.
I was thinking about giving you a like for the first half of your post. Not the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom