Game notes: Huskies not exposed tonight; we just didn't play great | The Boneyard

Game notes: Huskies not exposed tonight; we just didn't play great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just got home from the game (a very long drive); 15 rows up behind the Huskies' bench: great view. Very tired, but wanted to post after reading the other thread.

We certainly didn't play great. Uncharacteristically allowed some cheap baskets; far too many bad passes, some lazy and intercepted, some just tipped, disrupting timing. We looked tight at times. Geno definitely looked stressed before the game, and coached heavily during times out. He was massively relieved when it was over. TX guard play was impressive, but I don't think it was tough underneath, even though Stewie spent some time on the floor. To me, this was simply a case of two teams going in different directions emotionally: after getting hammered last year, TX had nothing to lose this year and everything to win by playing tough (which they did until the very end). UConn just worried that it had played its best half of basketball (maybe ever) and didn't know what would happen if it didn't do it again. Although UConn seemed to have the game in hand some time in the 2nd quarter, they could never get true separation. The pressure may increase over the weekend as UConn chases history; or they may relax because they've made it this far.

2 incredibly scary moments. Lou fell, and for a moment I (and those I sat with) was sure she had broken her left wrist. Soon afterward, Mo took that tumble out of bounds, and I turned to my wife and said: she's sprained her ankle; the season's over for us. Reminds us how much a near thing this is (remember 2001?).

Great, great crowd. We all got teary knowing we were seeing at least two of the big 3 for the last time in person. Word was that people outside were offering up to $300/ticket. Texas didn't have a lot of fans there, but they were great, and their band and cheerleaders were amazing. I had forgot how fabulous band/cheerleaders are at big time football schools. If UConn ever wants to get into a Power 5 conference, it needs to do more in this area (as great as UConn's band and cheerleaders are now--just kidding about all this, by the way).

Heading off to bed, but I think arguments about relative statistics and even whether we should fear OSU more than the now defunct Baylor are nice ways for us to relieve our own anxiety. But really, we are in unchartered waters here as we chase history, and no one can predict with any confidence what the psychology of the moment will mean...until around 10:00 Tuesday night.

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game (a very long drive); 15 rows up behind the Huskies' bench: great view. Very tired, but wanted to post after reading the other thread.

We certainly didn't play great. Uncharacteristically allowed some cheap baskets; far too many bad passes, some lazy and intercepted, some just tipped, disrupting timing. We looked tight at times. Geno definitely looked stressed before the game, and coached heavily during times out. He was massively relieved when it was over. TX guard play was impressive, but I don't think it was tough underneath, even though Stewie spent some time on the floor. To me, this was simply a case of two teams going in different directions emotionally: after getting hammered last year, TX had nothing to lose this year and everything to win by playing tough (which they did until the very end). UConn just worried that it had played its best half of basketball (maybe ever) and didn't know what would happen if it didn't do it again. Although UConn seemed to have the game in hand some time in the 2nd quarter, they could never get true separation. The pressure may increase over the weekend as UConn chases history; or they may relax because they've made it this far.

2 incredibly scary moments. Lou fell, and for a moment I (and those I sat with) was sure she had broken her left wrist. Soon afterward, Mo took that tumble out of bounds, and I turned to my wife and said: she's sprained her ankle; the season's over for us. Reminds us how much a near thing this is (remember 2001?).

Great, great crowd. We all got teary knowing we were seeing at least two of the big 3 for the last time in person. Word was that people outside were offering up to $300/ticket. Texas didn't have a lot of fans there, but they were great, and their band and cheerleaders were amazing. I had forgot how fabulous band/cheerleaders are at big time football schools. If UConn ever wants to get into a Power 5 conference, it needs to do more in this area (as great as UConn's band and cheerleaders are now--just kidding about all this, by the way).

Heading off to bed, but I think arguments about relative statistics and even whether we should fear OSU more than the now defunct Baylor are nice ways for us to relieve our own anxiety. But really, we are in unchartered waters here as we chase history, and no one can predict with any confidence what the psychology of the moment will mean...until around 10:00 Tuesday night.

Don't mind the other thread. It's comical. Not worth more than a good laugh.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Texas didn't have a lot of fans there, but they were great, and their band and cheerleaders were amazing.

Noticed that too, a litle surprised a the paucity of the Texas delegation, I remember more last year at Albany.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Mo is dealing with a sore ankle - second game she has tweaked it in a row. Hopefully it will get stronger this week. I know the news sneakers are a nice perk of being Uconn, and ankles get tweaked all the time in basketball, but I do wonder about the adjustment to new shoes.

On the tape replay she got stepped on as she lifted for the shot - the announcers didn't see it, but the guard stepping in from the wing inadvertently stepped on her plant foot.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's about 1:40 a.m., and I just woke up. All the excitement of a wonderful evening caused a nap attack to overcome me just about the time that Kim Mulkey ceased performing her narcissistic calisthenics. I'll be back tomorrow to expose Badass awards and generate the usual mischief. Good night.:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You were there, so, I noticed Gabby didnt get much playing time. How did she look like she was doing?

Reaction Score
You were there, so, I noticed Gabby didnt get much playing time. How did she look like she was doing?
She got 2 quick fouls so that limited her time.

But make no mistake Geno will use his subs sparingly. Stew tuck mo will all play 40 mins. Kls and nurse will get a few mins rest but that's it.

Reaction Score
We beat the point spread (20.) What do you want? 60 every game? This was Maj Forsberg's crew's second bad game in a row. Example: Morgan Tuck was shoulder-blocked HARD on a lay-up. No call. We took a beating because they let hard physical contact go. These plays were fouls in the second game, even with the lumbering players in that contest.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We beat the point spread (20.) What do you want? 60 every game? This was Maj Forsberg's crew's second bad game in a row. Example: Morgan Tuck was shoulder-blocked HARD on a lay-up. No call. We took a beating because they let hard physical contact go. These plays were fouls in the second game, even with the lumbering players in that contest.
I actually prefer a game with fewer whistles - yeah, they missed some, but they were not egregious - the worst were probably the 'subtle' displacements on rebounds. But I prefer that to seeing soft fouls called against Uconn as well, because our starters are better than the other teams starters, and it hurts us more to have lots of touch fouls called and starters sitting.

Reaction Score
I saw a couple of calls go against TX that were really, really bad calls as well. I just don't get into the "bad game" for refs that only goes against UConn. Heck, this was a home game for us.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Credit to Texas for doing a good job on the offensive boards and shutting down UConn's transition game. UConn was forced to score in its half-court offense. How did it do? 86 points, 56% shooting and 12 -21 on three-pointers. Give me that kind of exposure any day.

I'm sure the team will focus on improving its defensive rebounding (Texas grabbed 16 O-boards).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Was at the game last night. What a great atmosphere!!!!

Kudos to Texas - they came to play. They are a big, physical team and they used their physicality to try to disrupt our offense. We have seen this before and its doesn't work out to well. UCONN is as physical as anyone out there. But I was scratching my head by some the of the calls.

Geno calls the Elite 8 the toughest game and he's right and it played out that way last night. But we a re in the Final Four and that's what counts.

Now, as a former band director, I absolutely loved the Texas band. Energy, talent and some great arrangements!

Reaction Score
We were a little shaky at times but otherwise we played okay. Stewie committed too many turnovers and tried to pass the ball out too quickly. Moriah had to calm her down at one point. Texas beat us down the court too many times but that was not because of lack of effort. We may have been getting tired. The fact is that this was a game to get to the Final Four. Every game will not be easy or pretty. We won by 4 in 1995 to get to the Final Four so I think beating a team by 21 points should not be looked at as a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom