game-night supper | The Boneyard

game-night supper

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I like to try different recipes, and one thing that motivates me is when UConn plays. Probably a half-dozen times a year I'll do a dinner from the opponent's cuisine. I think I'll try to post to this thread throughout the season to let y'all know what I'm cooking.

Tonight is actually in honor of the Nationals. From what I can tell, there are only two foods that are actually uniquely native to Washington, DC (yes, there are mid-Atlantic things like crab cakes, but those aren't specifically DC). Those are the half-smoke, which is a half-and-half beef and pork smoked sausage, and mumbo sauce, a sort-of combination of sweet-and-sour sauce and barbecue sauce. I've never met a half-smoke I like, and the ladies of the house aren't crazy about sausage as a main course.

So I made wings with mumbo sauce. It's an unqualified success. I'd probably go with a little more vinegar and a little less sugar next time, but it is as advertised, the meeting of BBQ and sweet-and-sour sauces. Way better than the stuff that passes as BBQ sauce in some parts of the country. I don't think it will supplant Memphis as my go-to BBQ sauce, but it will peacefully coexist.

If anyone wants the recipe, PM me, or if I get multiple requests, I can post it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A culinary homage to those who are about to fall! (Not meaning the Nats, as I am indifferent, but to our WBB opponents) What a wonderful tribute.

Reaction Score
I like to try different recipes, and one thing that motivates me is when UConn plays. Probably a half-dozen times a year I'll do a dinner from the opponent's cuisine. I think I'll try to post to this thread throughout the season to let y'all know what I'm cooking.

Tonight is actually in honor of the Nationals. From what I can tell, there are only two foods that are actually uniquely native to Washington, DC (yes, there are mid-Atlantic things like crab cakes, but those aren't specifically DC). Those are the half-smoke, which is a half-and-half beef and pork smoked sausage, and mumbo sauce, a sort-of combination of sweet-and-sour sauce and barbecue sauce. I've never met a half-smoke I like, and the ladies of the house aren't crazy about sausage as a main course.

So I made wings with mumbo sauce. It's an unqualified success. I'd probably go with a little more vinegar and a little less sugar next time, but it is as advertised, the meeting of BBQ and sweet-and-sour sauces. Way better than the stuff that passes as BBQ sauce in some parts of the country. I don't think it will supplant Memphis as my go-to BBQ sauce, but it will peacefully coexist.

If anyone wants the recipe, PM me, or if I get multiple requests, I can post it.
Will you be cooking possum on January 23?

1572487783987.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Will you be cooking possum on January 23?

LOL, not quite. My wife's father's family is from Indiana. So a season or two ago, for the Notre Dame game, I asked her if there were any dishes she remembered from Indiana. Her first response was Hamburger Helper. So that's what I did for the ND game that year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

So cheesesteaks on Sunday???

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So cheesesteaks on Sunday???

Cheesesteaks for Temple (in a couple weeks, I think, this year) are an annual event at the chez. As well as Hot Brown sandwiches for Louisville. I'm in training, so won't be doing them till then.

I haven't hit upon the perfect cheese/sauce to top the cheesesteaks if anyone wants to advise me.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Senate bean soup. It's served every day in the Senate restaurants.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I ran (well, DID) my tenth marathon over the weekend, so couldn't watch the Cal game live. We drove back yesterday and I made my own version of California rolls, then watched the game at supper time. My rice wasn't sticky enough, so the sushi wasn't tightly enough rolled.

I found a Tennessee recipe for chicken with bacon for tomorrow. I gotta do a special meal for Crystal; she's da bomb.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Cheesesteaks for Temple (in a couple weeks, I think, this year) are an annual event at the chez. As well as Hot Brown sandwiches for Louisville. I'm in training, so won't be doing them till then.

I haven't hit upon the perfect cheese/sauce to top the cheesesteaks if anyone wants to advise me.

Whiz! Nothing else is authentic.

Reaction Score
I agree with the poster above. I hate when cheesesteaks are doctored with non-authentic ingredients. Whiz is the proper "cheese." I always get a cheesesteak when in the Philly area because they certainly can't make them anywhere else!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hokay, the cheez whiz wins out. I guess I'll just wear a bag on my head when the time comes to buy it. Just kidding, my kid doesn't like homemade mac and cheese, so I stopped wearing a bag on my head when she turned about 3.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree with the poster above. I hate when cheesesteaks are doctored with non-authentic ingredients. Whiz is the proper "cheese." I always get a cheesesteak when in the Philly area because they certainly can't make them anywhere else!

Including Geno's Pub. He should be embarrassed. :(

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Gamecocks play the Flyers on Wednesday night; I picked up a package of peanuts for the game with 10 peanuts in it.
How can Gamecocks and flyers play each other. They're the same thing. Myabe it depends on the type of play.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
How can Gamecocks and flyers play each other. They're the same thing. Myabe it depends on the type of play.
LOL!

I heard an interview with Alice Cooper a couple of years ago, I think on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, in which he was asked about the whole biting the head off the chicken thing. Evidently the origin of it was that someone threw a chicken on stage, and he picked it up. He said something to the effect: "I'm just a city guy from Detroit, I don't know a chicken can't fly, so I threw it up into the air, and it dropped like a rock and died when it hit the floor."

The rumor went out about him biting the head off a chicken, and his manager called the next day and asked if it really happened. Alice said no, and the manager said, "Don't tell anybody!"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So I made the chicken with bacon and rosemary. It's a few slices of bacon chopped up and fried; floured chicken fried in some of the bacon fat and a little butter. It's spiced with rosemary, garlic, and crushed red pepper, then the sauce is chicken stock and lemon juice.

My wife loved it, daughter and I thought it was okay. I'd probably lose the lemon juice next time (or maybe replace it with vinegar), and thicken the sauce.

Kona Fire Rock went very nicely with it.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So I made the chicken with bacon and rosemary. It's a few slices of bacon chopped up and fried; floured chicken fried in some of the bacon fat and a little butter. It's spiced with rosemary, garlic, and crushed red pepper, then the sauce is chicken stock and lemon juice.

My wife loved it, daughter and I thought it was okay. I'd probably lose the lemon juice next time (or maybe replace it with vinegar), and thicken the sauce.

Kona Fire Rock went very nicely with it.

My salivating just gave out. Man that sounds good.

Reaction Score

Nothing beats Velveeta- perfect melting texture- flavor could be improved with good sharp cheddar.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The cheesesteaks were excellent. The Cheez Whiz was good, but it was unanimous that we like a cheddar or provolone sauce better.

I'd do something with Virginia Ham Tuesday night, but neither of the ladies of the house likes it. I'll settle for having a Starr Hill with my meal. It's a microbrewery founded in Charlottesville, now in Crozet, 10 miles or so west. I'd do something with hush puppies, but that'd be a bit much for a work night.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For DePaul, I did the obvious -- Chicago deep-dish pizza. I'd never made this before, although I've been making different kinds of pizza for decades.

The crust is very different from anything I've made -- the liquid is about 1/3 oil and 2/3 water. I've occasionally added a few Tbsp of oil to crust, but never as much as this. I think the recipe I followed had too much liquid (my current flour has actually taken more liquid in the last few batches of bread); I needed to add about an extra cup for a double batch. That said, the crust was fantastic.

I did two (I can't call them pies) 9x13 dishes, one with only cheese (for the daughter), and one with mushroom on half (for Mrs. Bigboote) and pepperoni on half. Crust, cheese, toppings, then seasoned crushed tomatoes.

It was a qualified success. The crust was excellent, and everything tasted great. The one caveat was that the crust didn't puff up at the edges, so some of the liquid from the tomatoes got around the edges, and the crust didn't crisp up at all. The recipe I followed said you could pre-bake the crust for a few minutes, which I did. I suspect that's why it didn't puff up. I will try not pre-baking next time, and there will be a next time.

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
ah, Crozet! When I lived in C'ville in the early 80's, a trip to Crozet Pizza was a treat. I had a waitress working for me, from Crozet, and there were still family feuds in the Blue Ridge foothills then. She married a boy from the rival clan, and it caused all kindsa' consernation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom