Game atmosphere | The Boneyard

Game atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts about today's atmosphere at the rent.
1. Let's get rid of that dj dog pound nonsense... Felt a little cheesy
2. Waaayy too many sideline interviews with that huskies all access girl...just a few of them ere and there would be okay
3. Did anyone else feel like the music volume was a lot lower than usual?... I felt like the marching band's music was substantially louder than the music (nothing against the band, just think they should be equally as loud)... Idk could just be me...

Reaction Score
Love the video montage before they came out of tunnel. Absolutely hate they left out O'Fortuna. Like it or not it's better than the rap crap they played

Reaction Score
1. That guy works for a local radio station. He is clearly new to UConn Football. I've been a DJ for 4 years. I would do a much better job than he did up there.
2. Could definently do with out reading off some twitter updates from the sideline.
3. The music was at a lower volume than normal. For all the people who said we need to get rid of welcome to the jungle on 3rd down, they did not play it the first 3 or 4 3rd downs and the crowd was not very loud. When they finally started playing it, the crown was significantly louder.
4. That idiot who ran onto the field should have been tackled much quicker.
5. I don't know about anybody else, but for myself the new parking set-up allowed me to get out of the parking lot much faster.
6. The line to get in through Gate B around kickoff was not backed up at all right around kickoff which is very different than last season.

Reaction Score
Love the video montage before they came out of tunnel. Absolutely hate they left out O'Fortuna. Like it or not it's better than the rap crap they played
I really missed Guerilla Radio right before kick off. What ever that song was they played today just didn't work for me.

Reaction Score
I did like the fact that they put those brief interviews (halftime with Coach P and postgame with Lyle McCombs) on the jumbotron.

Also agree on Dog Pound DJ - that's gotta go.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's me,

but I did NOT notice, the elusive PC Richard whistle?

I didn't hear it at all, and that must be a good thing! :)

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Some things worked today and some didn't, but I give UConn credit for shaking things up a bit in The Rentmosphere. In addition to the lack of the PC Richard whistle, there was much less advertising blaring over the loudspeakers and video board. A step in the right direction in making it feel like a college game. I read on Facebook that the sound engineer for the game was a 3rd stringer not used to working UConn games. That would explain the missed cues and low volume.

Reaction Score
1. Right! No whistle, don't miss that at all.
2. DJ has to go or at least get a clue about what's going on when in the game.
3. Liked the smaller UCONN flags this year, always thought the big ones were too big.
4. The bell needs to be louder, the guy who was ringing it needs to find his way to a gym.
5. I know it was Fordham / ESPN3, but it was nice to have reasonable TV timeouts, both in frequency and duration.
6. Thought the crowd was okay, still late arriving, but for Fordham, rescheduled, on a holiday weekend, it was decent. True test if we've made real progress will be Iowa State on Friday night in 2 weeks.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
6. The line to get in through Gate B around kickoff was not backed up at all right around kickoff which is very different than last season.

The Student entrance moved from Gate B to Gate C this year. I imagine that opened up more lines for the general public to enter through in Gate B. The change makes a ton of sense. Good move by the AD, IMO.

Reaction Score
I loved the dj idea. I might pick a different dj, but give him time...he wasn't horrible. I liked the new wrinkles in the band performance. They are attempting to add to the fan experience. The interview with Lyle at the end was a nice touch. They guy who does the P.A. announcements needs to be replaced. And we need a third down que..even if it has to be "Welcome to the Jungle".

Reaction Score
Agreed - the attempt to shake things up was definitely a good thing.

1. Loved the halftime interview with Coach P broadcast over the stadium speakers.
2. Thought the DJ has some potential. Maybe move the "Dog Pound" to somewhere inside the stadium - maybe one of the student section corners.
3. Was impressed with the band's more contemporary performance. Actually found myself stomping my feet a bit.
4. The U-C-O-N-N after each touchdown HAS to be done by the entire stadium - not just the students. Place a few cheer leaders on the sides as well to get all involved.
5. Team looked good in shirts (some jackets) and ties during the Husky walk.

Overall - really thought it was a great day at the Rent!

Reaction Score
They do the DJ thing at the Heat games in Miami (and I'm sure other places). I'm not sure it works for football but willing to see how it plays out before I pass judgement. I just like that they are trying new things.

Reaction Score
I for one am glad to see Fortuna go away - I always felt like we were borrowing someone elses tradition.

Reaction Score
Mixed bag.

The positives - no PC Richards whistle, pretty decent crowd considering the opponent and reschedule, less advertising, and interviews with P and McCombs broadcast over the PA system.

The negatives - the DJ thing just does not work for me. Maybe I'm getting old and am too much of a traditionalist, but if fans down south got wind of this I think we'd be ridiculed. Say what you want, but college football is done right down south. That's what we should aspire for.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Student entrance moved from Gate B to Gate C this year. I imagine that opened up more lines for the general public to enter through in Gate B. The change makes a ton of sense. Good move by the AD, IMO.

It's always been Gate C. They just let students in at B.

Reaction Score
1. There seemed to be much less advertising by the PA announcer. He used to talk over the U-C-O-N-N cheer.
2. I did hear one PC Richards whistle, early in the game and not after a score.
3. That punt, pass, and kick contest has potential. I'd love to see someone win it.
4. It was HOT in sun. I'm looking forward to my sunny seats for the 3 November games.
5. Couldn't figure out the pattern for filling up the new Gray parking area.

Reaction Score
1. There seemed to be much less advertising by the PA announcer. He used to talk over the U-C-O-N-N cheer.
2. I did hear one PC Richards whistle, early in the game and not after a score.
3. That punt, pass, and kick contest has potential. I'd love to see someone win it.
4. It was HOT in sun. I'm looking forward to my sunny seats for the 3 November games.
5. Couldn't figure out the pattern for filling up the new Gray parking area.
Nice helmet design. Can you send that in to Nike, Under Armour or whoever??

Reaction Score
The negatives - the DJ thing just does not work for me. Maybe I'm getting old and am too much of a traditionalist, but if fans down south got wind of this I think we'd be ridiculed. Say what you want, but college football is done right down south. That's what we should aspire for.
I agree. Before the NFL became huge, college football was done better up here than down there!

Reaction Score
All I know is that the reported attendance was approx 34,500, and it seemed accurate sitting in my seats and looking around the stadium. That was better than I expected after the craziness of last week.

Given circumstances, I think the crowd turnout, and atmosphere at the game was fantastic. I am sunburned though. I like that the band was one of the louder things in the stadium. Crowd noise is important, but it's important in pressure situations, and it will most definitely be there when we need it.

It's not as important on third down a 12 on a 90 degree day baking in the sun, when you're up 28-0 and completely dominating a game against a physically overmatched opponent.

I look forward to seeing them live again in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom