Game Analysis - UConn vs Seton Hall | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Seton Hall

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Seton Hall averages 73.9 points per game...while UConn averages 82.6 points per game. Defensively Seton Hall averages 8.8 steals per game while Uconn averages 7.3...so, UConn must take care of the basketball because Seton Hall can turn you over...I think that now the Nika is back and has played one game to get her sea legs under her UConn will take better care of the basketball and this advantage will not be a major factor in the game. UConn's passing game is superior to the Senior / Graduate laden Pirates. With Juhasz back in the line-up the Pirates will not feast in the lane as Jurasz, Edwards and Griffin will make life hard for those who are looking to make a living in the paint. UConn's size will give them a rebounding advantage. The following match-ups may or may not actually happen as coaches decide who plays who and how much zone they play...but since players generate stats (points, rebounds, etc.) then the exercise does allow us to make some conclusions.

Dorka Juhasz vs Sidney Cooks - Even though this is only Dorka's second game back I don't see how Geno keeps Dorka out of the starting line-up. This is especially true with the fact that Seton Hall plays 6'4" Sidney Cooks. Sidney averages 15 points per game and 6.9 rebounds a game. Dorka with her height and experience and her 11.7 points and 9.7 rebounds a game will be able to minimize Sidney's effectiveness in the middle. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aaliyah Edwards vs Mya Bembry
- Mya is Seton Hall's second biggest starter playing the same position as Aaliyah Edwards. She only averages 4.4 points per game and 5.8 rebounds. Unfortunately, for Mya, Aaliyah is playing at an All-American pace with 16.9 points and 9.4 rebounds. Aaliyah is just too much of a basketball player for Mya. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Lauren Park-Lane
- Lauren is Seton Hall's everything basketball player...she averages 21.3 points per game and 5.8 assists while Nika our glue...who makes everyone on the team play better. Nika Muhl averages 5.4 points and 10 assists. Nika is a real pain on defense so she may cut into Lauren's team leading point average of 21.3 points a game and if she does that will have the effect of "cutting the head off from the snake". As far as impact on the game the advantage could go either way here: If Nika holds Lauren below her average to about 12 points then I would give the advantage to UConn but if Lauren is able to hold up to her averages then I would give the advantage to Seton Hall. Based on the numbers I will call this one: ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Sha'Lynn Hagans
- This match up has our graduate transfer Lou who averages 17.9 points and 3.2 rebounds per game to Sha'lynn's 11.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. In other aspects of the game with the exception of steals, it is almost like we are looking at the same player...Lou averages .7 steals and 1.4 assists per game while Sha'lynn averages 1.9 steals and 1.5 assists per game. With regards to impacting the game I believe that Lou holds the advantage. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Aubrey Griffin vs Shailyn Pinkney
- In this match-up I believe that Aubrey will be a nightmare for Shailyn. How will Shailyn contain Aubrey's athleticism? Shailyn may have help in this situation from Amari Wright but together they cannot match-up to Aubrey. Aubrey Griffin averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game while Shailyn Pinkney averages 2.3 points and 1.5 rebounds and Amari Wright averages 2.2 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Shailynn averages .4 and Amari averages 2.2 steals per game to Aubrey's 1.6 and Aubrey averages 1.4 assists to Shailyn's .6 and Amari's 1.9. Even with taking both Shailyn and Amari's numbers together I still think that Aubrey presents really problems for both of these players whenever they are on the floor. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench - We will be bringing Caroline Ducharm, Ayanna Patterson and Amari DeBerry off the bench while Seton Hall brings Kae Satterfield, Azana Baines and Jala Jordan off the bench. Seton Hall has 17 points and 11.5 rebounds off the bench while UConn has 12.7 points and 9 rebounds off the bench. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Intangibles: This game is played on a somewhat neutral court but it is still in CT so the home court advantage will still be there. UConn has a full complement of players (9) even without Azzi Fudd it puts UConn in a position where they have enough pieces to be able to play the game more freely. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Coaching -
Even with Geno out, Chris, Jamelle and Morgan vs who?
- ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Do we know the status of Ines? CD said that she sprained an ankle prior to the FSU game, yet she was in uniform. She would most likely be the one to give Nika a break.
Same question about Amari, she had a reported sore calf in the MD game and was limping noticeably going to the bench. CD may use her height against Cooks if Dorka needs a break.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
One thing not discussed is UConn's defense. I visited the NCAA stat site today and was surprised that UConn's defense is ranked 235th in D1 and 10th in the BEast. I actually thought for a minute that it must be a typo or maybe I'm reading the stat wrong.I'm sure that ranking is somewhat skewed by the tough schedule they have played and it will improve once cupcake season starts but the BE is not the AAC and there are fewer cupcakes. Not a surprise was their turnover ranking where they are 226th and 9th in the conference.

Reaction Score
Those two statistics are quite out of character for a UConn team.
But not out of character in the context of concussions, losing major
starters DURING A GAME, and the many players having to play
" out of position". Those things cause "chaos" for most teams and
losses. For UCONN it has shown an opportunity to work on improving
the Huskies fourth quarter " grit". Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Do we know the status of Ines? CD said that she sprained an ankle prior to the FSU game, yet she was in uniform. She would most likely be the one to give Nika a break.
Same question about Amari, she had a reported sore calf in the MD game and was limping noticeably going to the bench. CD may use her height against Cooks if Dorka needs a break.
More likely to have Lou become the point guard when Nika needs a break. This has been Geno's strategy and little has changed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One thing not discussed is UConn's defense. I visited the NCAA stat site today and was surprised that UConn's defense is ranked 235th in D1 and 10th in the BEast. I actually thought for a minute that it must be a typo or maybe I'm reading the stat wrong.I'm sure that ranking is somewhat skewed by the tough schedule they have played and it will improve once cupcake season starts but the BE is not the AAC and there are fewer cupcakes. Not a surprise was their turnover ranking where they are 226th and 9th in the conference.

For those who can’t navigate the site:

F19C8E81-4B4E-4492-9DDB-7ADD1019FBB3.jpeg

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. My biggest worry right now is Nika getting into foul trouble against a top offensive player.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. My biggest worry right now is Nika getting into foul trouble against a top offensive player.
I’m not so worried about that anymore. Nika seems to be keeping herself under control even in stressful situation ms.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall averages 73.9 points per game...while UConn averages 82.6 points per game. Defensively Seton Hall averages 8.8 steals per game while Uconn averages 7.3...so, UConn must take care of the basketball because Seton Hall can turn you over...I think that now the Nika is back and has played one game to get her sea legs under her UConn will take better care of the basketball and this advantage will not be a major factor in the game. UConn's passing game is superior to the Senior / Graduate laden Pirates. With Juhasz back in the line-up the Pirates will not feast in the lane as Jurasz, Edwards and Griffin will make life hard for those who are looking to make a living in the paint. UConn's size will give them a rebounding advantage. The following match-ups may or may not actually happen as coaches decide who plays who and how much zone they play...but since players generate stats (points, rebounds, etc.) then the exercise does allow us to make some conclusions.

Dorka Juhasz vs Sidney Cooks - Even though this is only Dorka's second game back I don't see how Geno keeps Dorka out of the starting line-up. This is especially true with the fact that Seton Hall plays 6'4" Sidney Cooks. Sidney averages 15 points per game and 6.9 rebounds a game. Dorka with her height and experience and her 11.7 points and 9.7 rebounds a game will be able to minimize Sidney's effectiveness in the middle. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aaliyah Edwards vs Mya Bembry
- Mya is Seton Hall's second biggest starter playing the same position as Aaliyah Edwards. She only averages 4.4 points per game and 5.8 rebounds. Unfortunately, for Mya, Aaliyah is playing at an All-American pace with 16.9 points and 9.4 rebounds. Aaliyah is just too much of a basketball player for Mya. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Lauren Park-Lane
- Lauren is Seton Hall's everything basketball player...she averages 21.3 points per game and 5.8 assists while Nika our glue...who makes everyone on the team play better. Nika Muhl averages 5.4 points and 10 assists. Nika is a real pain on defense so she may cut into Lauren's team leading point average of 21.3 points a game and if she does that will have the effect of "cutting the head off from the snake". As far as impact on the game the advantage could go either way here: If Nika holds Lauren below her average to about 12 points then I would give the advantage to UConn but if Lauren is able to hold up to her averages then I would give the advantage to Seton Hall. Based on the numbers I will call this one: ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Sha'Lynn Hagans
- This match up has our graduate transfer Lou who averages 17.9 points and 3.2 rebounds per game to Sha'lynn's 11.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. In other aspects of the game with the exception of steals, it is almost like we are looking at the same player...Lou averages .7 steals and 1.4 assists per game while Sha'lynn averages 1.9 steals and 1.5 assists per game. With regards to impacting the game I believe that Lou holds the advantage. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Aubrey Griffin vs Shailyn Pinkney
- In this match-up I believe that Aubrey will be a nightmare for Shailyn. How will Shailyn contain Aubrey's athleticism? Shailyn may have help in this situation from Amari Wright but together they cannot match-up to Aubrey. Aubrey Griffin averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game while Shailyn Pinkney averages 2.3 points and 1.5 rebounds and Amari Wright averages 2.2 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Shailynn averages .4 and Amari averages 2.2 steals per game to Aubrey's 1.6 and Aubrey averages 1.4 assists to Shailyn's .6 and Amari's 1.9. Even with taking both Shailyn and Amari's numbers together I still think that Aubrey presents really problems for both of these players whenever they are on the floor. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench - We will be bringing Caroline Ducharm, Ayanna Patterson and Amari DeBerry off the bench while Seton Hall brings Kae Satterfield, Azana Baines and Jala Jordan off the bench. Seton Hall has 17 points and 11.5 rebounds off the bench while UConn has 12.7 points and 9 rebounds off the bench. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Intangibles: This game is played on a somewhat neutral court but it is still in CT so the home court advantage will still be there. UConn has a full complement of players (9) even without Azzi Fudd it puts UConn in a position where they have enough pieces to be able to play the game more freely. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Coaching -
Even with Geno out, Chris, Jamelle and Morgan vs who?
- ADVANTAGE - UCONN
Key is Nika and entire team to keep Park Lane from using her quickness and driving to basket. Concerned Nika will draw early fouls - suspect this is one of CD's coaching priorities. Without Park Lane having a big game, score should not be close.

Reaction Score
We’ve contained Park Lane many times before. Nika Aaliyah Aubrey and Dorka have experience in this. They’ve been coached before to overplay her right hand, etc. Lou is the only likely starter who will be new to this. If I were worried about foul trouble it would be for Lou. But I’m not particularly worried.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is rated 37th in offense and 111 in defense-Massey Ratings UConn is 6th in offense and 5th in defense...the UConn figures are counting Azzi Fudd as part of the offense. I don't know what this really means except that UConn is a much better team.

Reaction Score
These days I'm more worried about the refs getting Nika in foul trouble than about Nika getting in foul trouble on her own.
Whether the stone hits the jar, or the jar hits the stone, the jar still gets
These days I'm more worried about the refs getting Nika in foul trouble than about Nika getting in foul trouble on her own.
Whether the pitcher hits the stone or the stone hits the pitcher, it goes ill with the pitcher.

sun

Reaction Score
Park Lane is nationally ranked 6th in free throw attempts and 3rd in free throws.
She's also nationally ranked 8th in points, 11th in points per game, 12th in assists and 20th in assists per game.

If Ines is healthy, she's quick enough to be an option to defend against Park Lane.
But Ines could also quickly run into foul trouble.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Coaching - Even with Geno out, Chris, Jamelle and Morgan vs who? - ADVANTAGE - UCONN
If one looks at all of the details listed on the Seton Hall coaches pages, they each have a lifetime of accomplishments.
Considering that Geno is ill I would call it even to say the least due to their combined overall wealth of experience.

Reaction Score
If one looks at all of the details listed on the Seton Hall coaches pages, they each have a lifetime of accomplishments.
Considering that Geno is ill I would call it even to say the least due to their combined overall wealth of experience.

Point taken, but CD has been at the helm before (not sure about two in a row) and has been the calming influence since Geno took over the UCONN program. CD has shown some excellent intensity on each occassion when on the side lines. I think she likes everything except the press conferences...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom