Game Analysis and comments - Game 2 UConn vs Maryland | The Boneyard

Game Analysis and comments - Game 2 UConn vs Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
GENERAL COMMENTS:

Maryland is a team loaded with upperclassmen. They start with 4 Graduate Students and 1 Junior. They have height at all five positions even though they do not play a classic big at center. UConn will find itself undersized with its starters...Maryland plays: 6'2", 6'1", 6'1", 6'0", and 6.0". UConn on the other hand plays 6'3", 6'2", 6'0", 5'11", and 5'11". Geno will have to bring in more size off the bench. I expect Aubrey 6'1", Samuels 6'0" and Ice 6'3" will get significant minutes in this one. Ice will need to contribute more in this game...I think she is capable but we will see.

Maryland is a guard-centric team playing 3 guards and 2 guards/forwards. Fortunately, they are not known for their defense so that will give our players more opportunities to set up and score. Their go-to player this year appears to be Shayanne Sellers who is averaging over the first two games this season 22 points, 6.0 rebounds in about 33 minutes per game. South Carolina had their way with Maryland lighting them up for 114 points and scoring 12 threes. It is hard to say what kind of adjustments Brenda will make coming into the UConn game.

UConn is coming off a very disappointing performance. But, let's be realistic here...these are kids who are used to success. They know when they have "stunk up the gym"...they don't need anyone to tell them something they already know. If you set aside the bunnies Edwards missed around the basket she played a decent game. I expect that Aaliyah will have a better game on Thursday as the guards will take a lot of pressure off her and open things up in the middle for her by knocking down threes. Bueckers had to get her "sea legs" a bit quicker than expected...she succeeded quite well in that regard. Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, and Nika know that they weren't there to have Paige's proverbial back. They know that they weren't there to help their team leader.

The defense was lethargic, letting NC State go off for 92 points and letting their guards penetrate and dish to the perimeter time and time again. They did not rotate over fast enough and the NC State guards got a lot of nice three-point looks. One might say, that this wasn't a typical UConn women's basketball offense...missing were zip passes, guards pushing the ball hard, the moving without the ball, and the desire to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think this will happen in Storrs at least nowhere near that extent. The team will play off the "home friendlies". They will be anxious to show that that they are better than they played on Sunday afternoon. I believe that UConn is going to win and they are going to do it convincingly. I expect that we a great game and we are all going to wonder if Sunday was an aberration.

These match-ups were tough...as it is hard to tell who will play off who...because of the size difference and the fact that at least four of the players seem to be the same player... size/position and statistically. But, what does it matter if the match-ups are off somewhat...the fact is the starting line-ups are probably accurate and the bench is what it is. So...here goes:

MATCH-UPS

Aaliyah Edwards (Jr) 6'3" F vs Faith Masonius (Gr) 6'1" G/F

Faith Masonius has over her career averaged roughly 10 points and 3-4 rebounds per game, she can hit the three and there is a chance that if Aaliyah is guarding her she may draw Aaliyah out from the basket which is a good argument for this not being the right match-up. However, from a statistical viewpoint, this match-up favors Aaliyah. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers
(R-Jr) 6'0" G vs Shayanne Sellers (Jr) 6'2" G

Whoa, this is a match-up if it were to happen it would be a doozy. Two scorers with tremendous basketball IQ and ability. Paige's ability to score and make the players around her better gives her an edge in this one. SLIGHT ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Azzi Fudd
(Jr) 5'11" G vs Jakia Brown-Turner (Gr) 6'0" G

Jakia is a consistent 10-point and 4-rebound contributor. If Azzi plays the way she did against NC State...there won't be much action at this position however, I think Azzi gets out of her funk and drops the 3 ball about 5-6 times. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Caroline Ducharme
(Jr) 6'2" G vs Brinae Alexander (Gr) 6'1" G

Brinae is a consistent 8-point, 5-rebound contributor. She is yet another graduate who is listed as a guard / forward. This match-up is tailor-made for Caroline and I think we could get a really good game from Caroline. However, I don't think that Caroline is all the way back yet...and for that reason, I am going with the following: ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Nika Muhl
(Sr) 5'11" G vs Lavender Briggs (Gr) 6'1" G

Lavender Briggs is yet another graduate 6'1" guard...she will have the size of Nika...but, I think Nika's speed and tenacity will make life difficult for Lavender and frustration will lead to turnovers. I think Nika's impact on the team assists, forcing turnovers, and taking care of the basketball will ultimately serve the team well. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH:

Maryland's bench is not as deep and not as productive as UConn's. Bri McDaniel and Allie Kubek will not be able to make up for what Aubrey Griffin, Qadence Samuels, KK Arnold, Ice Brady, Innes, and Amari will bring to this game. HUGE ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING:

This category is going to be rather redundant throughout the year...there are few coaching staffs that will be able to match Geno Auriemma, Chris Dailey, Jamelle Elliot, Tonya Cardoza, Morgan Valley, and Ben Kantor. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

INTANGIBLES:

UConn playing for the home crowd, the players looking to avenge their less-than-stellar performance in Raliegh and Brenda's insistence on making the offense a priority over defense all will translate to. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SCORE:

UConn - 91

Maryland - 72
MOV - 19

Reaction Score
I think everything depends on how we guard Sellers. Will Aubrey play? If she can go, I’d have her on Sellers. Paige can guard her, but Aubrey is a better matchup. Sellers makes their team go and containing her is key.

Fudd on Brown-Turner — there’s a long history between them dating back to high school, and Jakia has never come up on the winning side. Is this her moment? I think not, but this will be interesting to watch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sellers left the SC in the 2nd half with an apparent foot injury. After a trip to the locker room, she returned to the bench and looked fine.
Has there been any updates about her apparent injury?
It would have a pretty big impact on the turtle's game.

Reaction Score
I thought MD played SC well, at least for most of the first half. SC is just too big, deep, and good. I expect a battle. Both teams have something to prove.

Reaction Score
Great analysis! I wonder if any team they play will have more talent? UConn is loaded and if they play with the urgency required against good teams they will win. Will Geno go with a bigger lineup or stay with the same group? This is an important game for the team's confidence and I expect they will play a great game.

Reaction Score
The Terps tend to play their best basketball in February, so we'll see about that. But they are really bad right now. They gave up 25 offensive rebounds against Harvard of all teams.

Reaction Score
How on earth do you only give Paige a "slight advantage" over Sellers?

There is only one guard in the country on the college level who compares with Paige. That would be Caitlin Clark. If UConn didn't have all the other superior talent on this team, Paige would be scoring 40+ points per game. If the rest of this team doesn't get it in gear, she may have to anyway! She doesn't have Clark's range, but she outshines her in every other category (or would). The slight advantage thing is almost as bad has calling game 3, game 2. :) Couldn't you have asked "staff" to correct this mistake?

Please keep up the good work, as for the most part it was an excellent analysis. Lets hope it pans out.

Reaction Score
UConn has more talent than the Terps. UConn better shoot better than 50% if they hope to win, Maryland will have the advantage on the boards and probably have more second chance points (offensive rebounds).

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Okay, Gordo...I'm going to just assume your post was "tongue in cheek"... First off the Southern CT was an exhibition game and it doesn't actually count as a game...so there is nothing wrong with my assertion that NC State was the 2nd Game because it actually is their second game and Dayton was their first. So, I don't think I will be asking the moderators to adjust my post. In fact, the Huskies official site doesn't even list the Southern CT game nor does it list the score...maybe you should write the moderators of that page and ask them to adjust their schedule page. Or, maybe you were thinking of the secret game with Syracuse...you know the one that wasn't even talked about....hmmm..

Now on a serious note...to be honest I am hoping that Paige doesn't get the defensive assignment of guarding Sellers. Sellers is a bigger body and would be more suited for Aubrey. Also, Sellers' game is different from Paige's. And, this comparison is more about how each player will impact the game and what impact each player will have on their team... It is more of a statistical comparison... As good a player as Shayanne is I still gave the advantage to Paige...what did you expect me to do, that is after all the "homer" in me. If you think Paige is going to dominate Shayanne to the point that the slight advantage is an understatement then fine...we will know soon enough. I suspect Shayanne will hit her averages which by the way, aren't too shabby. I think and hope Paige will build on the tremendous game she had against NC State...and if the players around her step it up it will be a lot easier for her to do so.

On to Clark...She is a fantastic player. She does get to take a lot of shots but, I have to say the last year she has been concentrating on making the players around her better and that has made her in turn a better teammate and a better player. Paige's injuries have caused her to be out of the public's eye for quite some time and many have forgotten just how good she is. I have been "salivating at the gums" for this match-up for quite some time...I hope both players remain healthy so we can be treated to the match-up of the year and people can see the real Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Clark leading the assist category while Paige was on the sidelines injured means nothing! If Paige wasn't splitting point guard duties with Nika, her assist totals would be quite different. As for rebounding, where on earth do you get a comparison? Again, Paige has been on the sidelines injured. Additionally, she is on a team with superior talented teammates so she isn't required to rebound as much as Clark. While Paige has been injured, Clark has been recognized as the best player in the nation. So don't come at me unless you are being at least fair with your outrageous comparisons! I have acknowledged Caitlin Clark as an outstanding talent. But the only year you can truly compare the two was their freshman year, and it was Paige who won NPOY!

By the way, you also didn't quote what I actually said! My statement was, "...but she outshines her (meaning Clark) in every other category (or would)." The "(or would)" is the qualifier!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maryland will have the advantage on the boards and probably have more second chance points (offensive rebounds).
Are you kidding me. Did you read my post above. They gave up 25 offensive rebounds to Harvard. They also got outrebounded 41-33 against East Carolina in an exhibition game. If UConn can't rebound in this game, they won't rebound in any game this season.

Reaction Score
Great analysis! I wonder if any team they play will have more talent? UConn is loaded and if they play with the urgency required against good teams they will win. Will Geno go with a bigger lineup or stay with the same group? This is an important game for the team's confidence and I expect they will play a great game.
It looks like MD already played a team with more talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clark leading the assist category while Paige was on the sidelines injured means nothing! If Paige wasn't splitting point guard duties with Nika, her assist totals would be quite different. As for rebounding, where on earth do you get a comparison? Again, Paige has been on the sidelines injured. Additionally, she is on a team with superior talented teammates so she isn't required to rebound as much as Clark. While Paige has been injured, Clark has been recognized as the best player in the nation. So don't come at me unless you are being at least fair with your outrageous comparisons! I have acknowledged Caitlin Clark as an outstanding talent. But the only year you can truly compare the two was their freshman year, and it was Paige who won NPOY!

By the way, you also didn't quote what I actually said! My statement was, "...but she outshines her (meaning Clark) in every other category (or would)." The "(or would)" is the qualifier!
@cferraro04 isn't the one being outrageous here and there was nothing unfair in their assessment. You are CFC and it's out here for the world to see.

Reaction Score
@cferraro04 isn't the one being outrageous here and there was nothing unfair in their assessment. You are CFC and it's out here for the world to see.
I think you are confused. My reply about an unfairness in assessment (comparing stats of a active player with one totally sidelined), was in response to @browns reply to me. It had nothing to do with member @cferraro04. Also, I'm old and have no idea what CFC means? As "for the world to see", that's a bit over dramatic!

Reaction Score
Okay, Gordo...I'm going to just assume your post was "tongue in cheek"... First off the Southern CT was an exhibition game and it doesn't actually count as a game...so there is nothing wrong with my assertion that NC State was the 2nd Game because it actually is their second game and Dayton was their first. So, I don't think I will be asking the moderators to adjust my post. In fact, the Huskies official site doesn't even list the Southern CT game nor does it list the score...maybe you should write the moderators of that page and ask them to adjust their schedule page. Or, maybe you were thinking of the secret game with Syracuse...you know the one that wasn't even talked about....hmmm..

Now on a serious note...to be honest I am hoping that Paige doesn't get the defensive assignment of guarding Sellers. Sellers is a bigger body and would be more suited for Aubrey. Also, Sellers' game is different from Paige's. And, this comparison is more about how each player will impact the game and what impact each player will have on their team... It is more of a statistical comparison... As good a player as Shayanne is I still gave the advantage to Paige...what did you expect me to do, that is after all the "homer" in me. If you think Paige is going to dominate Shayanne to the point that the slight advantage is an understatement then fine...we will know soon enough. I suspect Shayanne will hit her averages which by the way, aren't too shabby. I think and hope Paige will build on the tremendous game she had against NC State...and if the players around her step it up it will be a lot easier for her to do so.

On to Clark...She is a fantastic player. She does get to take a lot of shots but, I have to say the last year she has been concentrating on making the players around her better and that has made her in turn a better teammate and a better player. Paige's injuries have caused her to be out of the public's eye for quite some time and many have forgotten just how good she is. I have been "salivating at the gums" for this match-up for quite some time...I hope both players remain healthy so we can be treated to the match-up of the year and people can see the real Paige Bueckers.
First of all, if you are going to respond to someone (me in this case), please do so in the appropriate manner so your response will be noted in the correct manner and be seen.

Game 1 - Dayton
Game 2 - NC State
Game 3 - Maryland

Do I really need to say more?

Reaction Score
I think you are confused. My reply about an unfairness in assessment (comparing stats of a active player with one totally sidelined), was in response to @browns reply to me. It had nothing to do with member @cferraro04. Also, I'm old and have no idea what CFC means? As "for the world to see", that's a bit over dramatic!
Well, I'm old too but I googled it and I think he's calling you a chlorofluorocarbon which is probably a bad thing.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm old too but I googled it and I think he's calling you a chlorofluorocarbon which is probably a bad thing.
Yes, I had done the same thing and found the same results. I've been called many things in my almost 84 years, but that's a first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom