Game Analysis and Comments - Game 10 - UConn vs Louisville | The Boneyard

Game Analysis and Comments - Game 10 - UConn vs Louisville

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Well, let's see now does a week off help the Huskies or hurt them? I guess that since the Huskies have been pretty banged up and because they have had to shuffle the starting line-up around quite a bit with the uncertainty of Caroline Ducharme and the inconsistent play of Aubrey this lay-off has helped the Huskies. Hopefully, they have healed somewhat, are rejuvenized, and have worked out some of the kinks with the small line-up and the big line-up. Because Louisville more than likely will start two forwards and three guards I am going to guess that Geno will go with Aubrey in the starting line-up. Of course, if Ice was able to gain Geno's confidence in the out-of-conference schedule it would be a no-brainer to play Ice with Edwards but I don't think we are there yet...hopefully, by mid-February, we will be there...we will see. So, Louisville will go with 6'3", 6'2", 6'1", 5'9" and 5'9" while UConn will go with 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'11" and 5'10". Louisville is a very experienced team starting with three graduate students, one senior, and one sophomore. UConn plays one graduate student, two seniors, one red-shirt Junior, and a freshman.

MSGRET did a great job comparing the level of competition these two teams have played and I would recommend reading his preamble to the prognostication thread. In a nutshell, MSGRET points out that UConn has played a much tougher schedule to date and that as a result UConn is rated higher in RPI and SOS. Additionally, he pointed out the similarity in the stats between the two teams...I would add a couple of points for consideration...UConn must take care of the basketball as Louisville forces 21.9 turnovers per game while only committing 15 themselves. Louisville capitalizes on the turnovers it creates by getting 25.2 points per game off turnovers while their opponents are only able to get 12 points off turnovers. This statistic becomes more relevant when you consider that 33 percent of Louisville's total points per game come off turnovers.

If UConn continues to play the level of defense that they have been playing and assuming they have addressed some of their issues and their defense has improved I don't see Louisville beating UConn at home. UConn is at its best when it defends and lets the offense develop from its defense. Their half-court game is a work in progress but it isn't that bad.

MATCH-UPS

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" vs Olivia Cochran 6'3"
- Olivia is on all the watch lists (Wooden, Naismith, etc.) she is Louisville's top scorer and rebounder which makes it fitting that she draws Aaliyah in this match up. Aaliyah is also on everyone's list and it was recently revealed that in a mock draft, she would go number 4. Aaliyah is having a decent season averaging 15.8 points and 7.7 rebounds. Defensively Aaliyah has picked it up and I expect that Olivia will have to work hard to outplay Aaliyah. I hope both of these players can stay on the floor and give us fans a great show in the post. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Aubrey Griffin 6'1" vs Nyla Harris 6'2"
- Nyla is Louisville's other starting forward. Aubrey is technically a G/F and will be a little undersized in this match-up but with her athleticism and experience, she should be fine. Nyla averages 9.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Aubrey's game stats are similar at 8.2 points and 4.4 rebounds per game. However, I don't think we have seen Aubrey playing up to her potential. I don't know if she is dealing with physical issues or if there is something else. I think the week off will help Aubrey and if we see any resemblance of the Aubrey we know then I think we will see Aubrey come out on top in this match-up. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers 6'0" vs Kiki Jefferson 6'1"
- At 6'1" Jefferson is a tall guard. Before transferring to Louisville in Aprile 2023, Kiki had a great career at James Madison where she ranked second in career free throws made (550), fifth in scoring average, sixth all-time in points (1,838), tied for sixth in free throw percentage (80.2), ninth in rebounds (815), tied for ninth in made field goals (518), and tied for 10th in three-point percentage (33.9). Well, unfortunately for Kiki she may have drawn a match-up with UConn's surging all-everything Paige Bueckers who after winning the player of the year in her freshman outing was beset with injuries that kept her off the court for over 500 days. Well, she is back and she is making up for lost time averaging 19.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, approximately 2 three-pointers, 2.7 assists, and 2 steals per game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl 5'11" vs Sydney Taylor - 5'9"
- Sydney is another transfer student who came from the University of Massachusetts where she was First Team All-Conference in her Junior and Senior years. Sydney is averaging 10.5 points 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 Assists...she also contributes 2 three-pointers per game for the Cardinals. Nika averages 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 4.4 assists as well as contributing 1 three per game. The rub on Nika is that she doesn't shoot enough and she has to cut down on her turnovers. Nika should have a good night matched up with Sydney. ADVANTAGE - UCONN.

Ashlynn Shade 5'10" vs Nina Rickards 5'9"
- Here we have yet another transfer this time from Florida. Nina had a very good career at Florida where she averaged in her senior year a career-best 12.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1.4 steals per game. She is a very experienced player who has played a lot of college basketball minutes. Ashlynn is a budding freshman who has been doing quite well but has only played in 8 college games. Nina has so far this season averaged 7.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.0 steals but, don't let the stats fool you she has scored in double figures in 2 of her last three games. Ashlynn has done quite well so far in her freshman outing averaging 6.9 points, 1.8 rebounds, and 1.0 assists. She has helped UConn by being a second option for shooting threes she is averaging one 3-pointer per game. Ashlynn has done an adequate job on defense. I think in this match-up Nina may prove to be the better player. ADVANTAGE - LOUISVILLE

BENCH

Louisville brings 28.8 points and 15 rebounds off the bench while UConn brings in 15.9 points and 7.3 rebounds. Louisville appears to be the deeper team - ADVANTAGE - LOUISVILLE

INTANGIBLES

UConn will be well-rested and will have had time to tweak some of its issues. They will be playing in front of a home crowd. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

I love the Geno Auriemma vs Jeff Walz match-ups. It is always entertaining. Louisville is now 2/17 against the Huskies. The last time Louisville beat UConn was on March 17, 1993, 74-71 in the NCAA tournament. Geno seems to have Jeff's number. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Reaction Score
Thanks again, @cferraro04. There’s plenty to chew on here. I watched a couple Louisville games and what I noticed is that they go deep in their rotation and often have a taller team on the floor. But they sometimes go smaller, with Jayda Curry at 5’6” on the floor with the other small guards.

I think their weakness is outside shooting and their defense seems prone to lapses. If we had perfected our screening-back cutting game in the half court, we could really take advantage of this. But I’m not sure we’re there yet. If we plan to run off of our defense we’ll be playing into their strength, they can run with us. I think we’d win this way, but it’s not the easy path against Louisville.

Cochran looks better and more confident this season than she ever has. She won’t make foolish mistakes. Aaliyah needs to be careful to stay out of foul trouble. In the plus side, I think this will be a good opportunity for Ice to find her confidence. She’s as big as whoever who’d be defending and her high post play will pose a problem for them. In also really curious to see how Qadence does in this game. If she can hit a couple of 3s early, the lane could open up for her drives.

And of course, as you say, they really have no one who can account for Paige.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
COACHING

I love the Geno Auriemma vs Jeff Walz match-ups. It is always entertaining. Louisville is now 2/17 against the Huskies. The last time Louisville beat UConn was on March 17, 1993, 74-71 in the NCAA tournament. Geno seems to have Jeff's number. ADVANTAGE - UCONN
Louisville beat the good guys, 69-64, on 12/19/2021 at the Mohegan Sun. Paige and Azzi didn't play and Caroline led the scoring with 24 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Louisville beat the good guys, 69-64, on 12/19/2021 at the Mohegan Sun. Paige and Azzi didn't play and Caroline led the scoring with 24 points.
Thanks for the "context" of that Mohegan Sun loss. Question: Where would the Huskies be today with a HEALTHY CAROLINE!!
Not to mention JANA and YANNA and AZZI and ICE with a full Freshman year completed ( no Red Shirt injury year ). One
can dream... now back to reality === GO Huskies, Beat Louisville....!!! with a four guard offense that can BOX OUT!! ( and rebound )..

Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Well, let's see now does a week off help the Huskies or hurt them? I guess that since the Huskies have been pretty banged up and because they have had to shuffle the starting line-up around quite a bit with the uncertainty of Caroline Ducharme and the inconsistent play of Aubrey this lay-off has helped the Huskies. Hopefully, they have healed somewhat, are rejuvenized, and have worked out some of the kinks with the small line-up and the big line-up. Because Louisville more than likely will start two forwards and three guards I am going to guess that Geno will go with Aubrey in the starting line-up. Of course, if Ice was able to gain Geno's confidence in the out-of-conference schedule it would be a no-brainer to play Ice with Edwards but I don't think we are there yet...hopefully, by mid-February, we will be there...we will see. So, Louisville will go with 6'3", 6'2", 6'1", 5'9" and 5'9" while UConn will go with 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'11" and 5'10". Louisville is a very experienced team starting with three graduate students, one senior, and one sophomore. UConn plays one graduate student, two seniors, one red-shirt Junior, and a freshman.

MSGRET did a great job comparing the level of competition these two teams have played and I would recommend reading his preamble to the prognostication thread. In a nutshell, MSGRET points out that UConn has played a much tougher schedule to date and that as a result UConn is rated higher in RPI and SOS. Additionally, he pointed out the similarity in the stats between the two teams...I would add a couple of points for consideration...UConn must take care of the basketball as Louisville forces 21.9 turnovers per game while only committing 15 themselves. Louisville capitalizes on the turnovers it creates by getting 25.2 points per game off turnovers while their opponents are only able to get 12 points off turnovers. This statistic becomes more relevant when you consider that 33 percent of Louisville's total points per game come off turnovers.

If UConn continues to play the level of defense that they have been playing and assuming they have addressed some of their issues and their defense has improved I don't see Louisville beating UConn at home. UConn is at its best when it defends and lets the offense develop from its defense. Their half-court game is a work in progress but it isn't that bad.

MATCH-UPS

- Olivia is on all the watch lists (Wooden, Naismith, etc.) she is Louisville's top scorer and rebounder which makes it fitting that she draws Aaliyah in this match up. Aaliyah is also on everyone's list and it was recently revealed that in a mock draft, she would go number 4. Aaliyah is having a decent season averaging 15.8 points and 7.7 rebounds. Defensively Aaliyah has picked it up and I expect that Olivia will have to work hard to outplay Aaliyah. I hope both of these players can stay on the floor and give us fans a great show in the post. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Nyla is Louisville's other starting forward. Aubrey is technically a G/F and will be a little undersized in this match-up but with her athleticism and experience, she should be fine. Nyla averages 9.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Aubrey's game stats are similar at 8.2 points and 4.4 rebounds per game. However, I don't think we have seen Aubrey playing up to her potential. I don't know if she is dealing with physical issues or if there is something else. I think the week off will help Aubrey and if we see any resemblance of the Aubrey we know then I think we will see Aubrey come out on top in this match-up. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- At 6'1" Jefferson is a tall guard. Before transferring to Louisville in Aprile 2023, Kiki had a great career at James Madison where she ranked second in career free throws made (550), fifth in scoring average, sixth all-time in points (1,838), tied for sixth in free throw percentage (80.2), ninth in rebounds (815), tied for ninth in made field goals (518), and tied for 10th in three-point percentage (33.9). Well, unfortunately for Kiki she may have drawn a match-up with UConn's surging all-everything Paige Bueckers who after winning the player of the year in her freshman outing was beset with injuries that kept her off the court for over 500 days. Well, she is back and she is making up for lost time averaging 19.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, approximately 2 three-pointers, 2.7 assists, and 2 steals per game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Sydney is another transfer student who came from the University of Massachusetts where she was First Team All-Conference in her Junior and Senior years. Sydney is averaging 10.5 points 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 Assists...she also contributes 2 three-pointers per game for the Cardinals. Nika averages 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 4.4 assists as well as contributing 1 three per game. The rub on Nika is that she doesn't shoot enough and she has to cut down on her turnovers. Nika should have a good night matched up with Sydney. ADVANTAGE - UCONN.

- Here we have yet another transfer this time from Florida. Nina had a very good career at Florida where she averaged in her senior year a career-best 12.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1.4 steals per game. She is a very experienced player who has played a lot of college basketball minutes. Ashlynn is a budding freshman who has been doing quite well but has only played in 8 college games. Nina has so far this season averaged 7.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.0 steals but, don't let the stats fool you she has scored in double figures in 2 of her last three games. Ashlynn has done quite well so far in her freshman outing averaging 6.9 points, 1.8 rebounds, and 1.0 assists. She has helped UConn by being a second option for shooting threes she is averaging one 3-pointer per game. Ashlynn has done an adequate job on defense. I think in this match-up Nina may prove to be the better player. ADVANTAGE - LOUISVILLE

BENCH

Louisville brings 28.8 points and 15 rebounds off the bench while UConn brings in 15.9 points and 7.3 rebounds. Louisville appears to be the deeper team - ADVANTAGE - LOUISVILLE

INTANGIBLES

UConn will be well-rested and will have had time to tweak some of its issues. They will be playing in front of a home crowd. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

Good assessment, but I'm not sure all the UConn advantages you have are really advantages. A couple are even in my opinion. This will be a great matchup, can't wait to watch!

Reaction Score
UConn can compete if they match up on the height for the most part and in this game they do. The teams UConn has lost to this year are a combined 30-0 so at least they got beat by teams that are beating everyone. This game should be in the wheelhouse and UConn should come out with a comfortable win. Great Analysis by the way.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
COMMENTS

MATCH-UPS

BENCH

INTANGIBLES

COACHING

December 19 2021 Louisville beat us at Louisville.

I was there wearing my UConn sweatshirt. Several Louisville fans around me enjoyed having fun poking at me while their team was beating mine. All in good fun.

However, in the back of my mind I was thinking if we meet in the tournament it will be a different story. And I believe we went to the final four by beating Louisville.
:)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
@cferraro04 , why do you assume that UConn"s starting lineup will include Aubrey and exclude KK? The North Carolina game lineup had KK starting and Aubrey on the bench.

It seems that Geno is committed to the small lineup at least in the near term, so I would expect to see the starting lineup unchanged since the last game.

Reaction Score
I don’t think who starts really makes much difference as six players are all going to play close to 30 minutes
I suspect the rationale for bringing a Aubrey Griffin off the benches is two fold
The team has had a lot of slow starts at a lot of that seems to be in ability to get good shots out of the half court offense which is not Aubrey’s strong suit

Secondly, historically Aubrey has done much better coming off the bench and changing the tempo and the speed of the game

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
@cferraro04 , why do you assume that UConn"s starting lineup will include Aubrey and exclude KK? The North Carolina game lineup had KK starting and Aubrey on the bench.

It seems that Geno is committed to the small lineup at least in the near term, so I would expect to see the starting lineup unchanged since the last game.

This was a quote from the original post in the above Analysis,

"Because Louisville more than likely will start two forwards and three guards I am going to guess that Geno will go with Aubrey in the starting line-up. Of course, if Ice was able to gain Geno's confidence in the out-of-conference schedule it would be a no-brainer to play Ice with Edwards but I don't think we are there yet..."

I believe the quote answers your question...as I said in the quote it is only a guess...I'm sure Geno is going to do what he feels is right and I am not going to presume that I know what Geno has in mind.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I was there wearing my UConn sweatshirt. Several Louisville fans around me enjoyed having fun poking at me while their team was beating mine. All in good fun.

However, in the back of my mind I was thinking if we meet in the tournament it will be a different story. And I believe we went to the final four by beating Louisville.
If you look at the UCONNHUSKYGAMES site for the 2021-2022 season, it has the Louisville game that we lost as being played at the Mohegan Sun, it was the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase.

Hopefully, your "at Louisville" is typo. And we didn't play Louisville in the 2022 NCAA Tournament. We beat NC State in 2OT to advance to the Final Four.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
If you look at the UCONNHUSKYGAMES site for the 2021-2022 season, it has the Louisville game that we lost as being played at the Mohegan Sun, it was the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase.

Hopefully, your "at Louisville" is typo. And we didn't play Louisville in the 2022 NCAA Tournament. We beat NC State in 2OT to advance to the Final Four.
Cardinals vs Huskies

Reaction Score

Caroline was awesome in this game, scoring 24 on 10-20 with 8 rebounds. This was the player she ought to have been for UConn. But a malign fortune has stolen this from her... and us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom