Gail Goestenkors | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gail Goestenkors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In praise of thread drift!?! Next someone will Tweet that Geno is leaving! Oy Veeh (or however u spell it)!

Reaction Score
Not sure we ever really unpacked the demise of the person some think was a very fine coach. She and her recruits used to cause us fits when she was at Duke. I wonder 1) why she ever left and 2) what in the world accounts for her spectacular failure at UT. I just don't get it....

Thought, like some coaches, she was a better recruiter than game coach. I remember her on the sidelines @ Duke when they fell behind in games, and she'd have a very anxious, worried look on the face, which couldn't have given her players much confidence.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Perhaps she needs stronger assistants?

Wondering if she'll do a little WNBA assistanting, maybe get a new perspective, experience a different rhythm.

Reaction Score
I believe GG had the misconception that she was unable to land the talent at Duke because of a more strict admittance policy. I have heard her lament that she basically was in a battle with Stanford for every player and sometimes with ND. Also, that she was unable to recruit many top prospects. Probably she thought that going to TX was going to open up the playing field that she could draw from. It may be that her recruiting success at Duke was more about kids wanting to go to Duke than about being attracted to her program. The men's success at Duke probably did not hurt that equation either. At TX, she became an underdog for top talent immediately with the commit of BG to Baylor. I just don't think the grass was greener in the lone star state but on the other hand the bank account got fertilized quite well.

Reaction Score
I believe GG had the misconception that she was unable to land the talent at Duke because of a more strict admittance policy.

Lol.
Duke, which consistently has one of the top recruiting classes in the country?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I believe GG had the misconception that she was unable to land the talent at Duke because of a more strict admittance policy. I have heard her lament that she basically was in a battle with Stanford for every player and sometimes with ND. Also, that she was unable to recruit many top prospects. Probably she thought that going to TX was going to open up the playing field that she could draw from. It may be that her recruiting success at Duke was more about kids wanting to go to Duke than about being attracted to her program. The men's success at Duke probably did not hurt that equation either. At TX, she became an underdog for top talent immediately with the commit of BG to Baylor. I just don't think the grass was greener in the lone star state but on the other hand the bank account got fertilized quite well.

Not true at all. First, Duke lost some players to Stanford, but still pulled in top talent. Second, Duke rarely went up against Notre Dame for a recruit. Third, for the most part, Duke was able to recruit just about everyone it wanted to, subject to a few exceptions.

Reaction Score
Not having to go through the same admissions process for all students, one that Stanford follows, makes it a bit easier to recruit at Duke (and ND).

While at TX, Gail lost TX recruits to Stanford (O sisters and Orrange) and other TX recruits as well to non UT schools.

Reaction Score
Just relating the party line at the time. There was a feeling that it was a disadvantage going after some recruits. Did not say I agreed with that position. Duke always seemed able to recruit fairly well. However, the position was stated. Actually, my point was that possibly Duke was actually the draw after the TX results.

Reaction Score
the last 2 NCAA champions were from the state of Texas, but wasnt from the flagship school. Yeah, she 'resigned'!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just relating the party line at the time. There was a feeling that it was a disadvantage going after some recruits. Did not say I agreed with that position. Duke always seemed able to recruit fairly well. However, the position was stated.

That was NOT the party line at the time. and those were not the reasons she left. That position was not stated, except by you, and it is not factually accurate.

Reaction Score

i think you hit the nail on the head..when you change coach poition and go to another school ,go for the right reason,she got some bad advice

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is pretty much my take, as well.

Make no mistake, she is a good coach, which does not make her an "elite" coach. The number of elite coaches is very short, she looked like a candidate at Duke, after Texas not so much. Still, I can't think of very many programs that wouldn't want her.

Mulkey incidently is making herself a candidate for eliteness. Another NC and she's there, I think.

I'd say she's in the discussion but she'd have to win post Griner to be a lock.

Reaction Score
Except for the fact that attaboy's post was factually inaccurate...

why do i have to e-mail you back to ask you what is inaccurante and what the truth is..as a coach i didn't like her for what happen to one of her ball players and i was just saying i agree with attaboy because he is guessing just like my self and a lot of other people.really who cares

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
why do i have to e-mail you back to ask you what is inaccurante and what the truth is..as a coach i didn't like her for what happen to one of her ball players and i was just saying i agree with attaboy because he is guessing just like my self and a lot of other people.really who cares

I pointed out what was inaccurate earlier in this thread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd say she's in the discussion but she'd have to win post Griner to be a lock.

Just curious...who are the elite coaches now? Pat is out of the conversation due to her medical situation and Tara hasn't won a championship since 1992, although she has gotten to the Final Four a lot. And McGraw has only one title. Mulkey is the only coach in the last 20 years to win multiple titles other than Pat or Geno.

Just curious what the criteria is to be an elite coach.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just curious...who are the elite coaches now? Pat is out of the conversation due to her medical situation and Tara hasn't won a championship since 1992, although she has gotten to the Final Four a lot. And McGraw has only one title. Mulkey is the only coach in the last 20 years to win multiple titles other than Pat or Geno.

I think the elite coach "locks" are Geno, Pat and Leon Barmore.

Historically, that might be it. Obviously, others are in the discussion, including Cathy Rush, Jody Conradt, Tara, etc.

For "current" I don't think you talk elite, you talk "best", which includes Geno, Tara, Muffet and absolutely Kim. Of the group, I believe Kim has the best chance to become an all-time historical elite coach.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Just curious...who are the elite coaches now? ...Mulkey is the only coach in the last 20 years to win multiple titles other than Pat or Geno.

... I believe Kim has the best chance to become an all-time historical elite coach.
-Guys, I inferred from ESPN's report just yesterday she's may also have 'the best chance to become an all-time historical...' record holder in WCBB NCAA infraction incidents.
- In fairness, we have to wait for more facts. We have no way of knowing how many of those hundreds and hundreds of infraction incidents are hers, versus how many are other guys'- maybe a few, maybe a few hundred.
- I know I'm not telling you anything new - I'm sure you feel the same way. And I think your opinions above were well laid out. But...
- I'm just trying to say, somehow this just doesn't seem like the best week for us to initiate a campaign for her coronation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What has been said is that she spent time sitting at AAU games with the father of the once a a lifetime recruit that has helped to put her into that conversation. I'm sorry but that does not bode well with me and it is far different than an issue with new technologies. It is a problem coaches have faced for a long time. Consider the difference it might have been if it was Gail G. sitting next mr. Griner. She might well still be at TX.

Reaction Score
What has been said is that she spent time sitting at AAU games with the father of the once a a lifetime recruit that has helped to put her into that conversation. I'm sorry but that does not bode well with me and it is far different than an issue with new technologies. It is a problem coaches have faced for a long time. Consider the difference it might have been if it was Gail G. sitting next mr. Griner. She might well still be at TX.
Kim should have sat with the other coaches at her daughter's games as the other mother did (per Hello Kitty's post) just to be sure there could be no hint of a recruiting advantage.

I'm surprised that this is the first we're hearing of this . . .

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doing a little research one site on the rules indicates that doing this would be counted as one of three off-campus contacts allowed for a recruit. Any contact with the parent of a recruit is consider a contact.

Reaction Score

winning is not the only thing that makes a great coach,sometimes its helping young women a find herself..lets face it the majority of the women who play will not will not go any further than college..to me a great coach is one who gives a player gives her something she is missing and trys to understand her

Reaction Score
Kinda hard to believe that she quit because she was burned out when I'm hearing that she tried just last week to get a coaching job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom