Gail Goestenkors Resigns | The Boneyard

Gail Goestenkors Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
AUSTIN, Texas -- After five seasons of disappointing results and failure to live up to high expectations, Texas women's basketball coach Gail Goestenkors resigned Monday, saying she is "tired" and needs to step away from basketball.

Link

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Yes, but what is the status of Fidel Castro? And BTW, whatever happened to Manuel Noriega? Hmmm.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Karen Aston would be a good candidate for that job.
Doubt it. I'm not sure she would be able to recruit in the area (competing with Mulkey and Blair), which is why Gail failed. No, Texas should look for an established coach. As for Goestenkors, she should look into announcing. And if an AC job in the W comes up, I would avoid it, even it's in a nice part of the country, like LA, for example.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Doubt it. I'm not sure she would be able to recruit in the area (competing with Mulkey and Blair), which is why Gail failed. No, Texas should look for an established coach. As for Goestenkors, she should look into announcing. And if an AC job in the W comes up, I would avoid it, even it's in a nice part of the country, like LA, for example.

Fightin Choke - You hit the nail on the head. An excellent observation. Whoever Texas women's athletic director Chris Plonsky brings in, had better be a master recruiter, because he/she will be going up against the likes of Kim Mulkey (Baylor) and Gary Blair (Texas A&M), who ARE masters at, and have proven to be very very good at recruiting the top blue chip talent in the state. Mulkey and Blair have already established strong ties and relationships with the coaches of the state's most elite girl's AAU basketball programs. Not to mention the coaches at other top 10 programs.

Texas is a lucrative job, and the longhorns have lots of $$$. It should not be too hard for Plonsky to hire or lure away a top quality coach from their current position. I also agree with your thoughts on Goestenkors sitting behind a microphone for a year or two. She is more than capable at providing expert analysis on the college game. After a year to two, if she gets the urge to coach again, then she'll be in a better frame of mind, body and soul to do so. It's a good bet that ESPN has already contacted her (or visa versa), about a contract for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Fightin Choke - You hit the nail on the head. An excellent observation. Whoever Texas women's athletic director Chris Plonsky brings in, had better be a master recruiter, because he/she will be going up against the likes of Kim Mulkey (Baylor) and Gary Blair (Texas A&M), who ARE masters at, and have proven to be very very good at recruiting the top blue chip talent in the state. Mulkey and Blair have already established strong ties and relationships with the coaches of the state's most elite girl's AAU basketball programs. Not to mention the coaches at other top 10 programs.......

Now that they have Kristy Curry I'd be putting my money on Texas Tech to be the break-out program in that neck of the woods. With the money the alum are pouring into Bobby Knight's and Curry's contracts they seem really serious about taking Texas on. And Curry has already taken Purdue to the Final Four a couple times, those other two, Mulkey and Blair have nowhere near the recruiting chops that Curry has.

Mark my word.

Reaction Score
Now that they have Kristy Curry I'd be putting my money on Texas Tech to be the break-out program in that neck of the woods. With the money the alum are pouring into Bobby Knight's and Curry's contracts they seem really serious about taking Texas on. And Curry has already taken Purdue to the Final Four a couple times, those other two, Mulkey and Blair have nowhere near the recruiting chops that Curry has.

Mark my word.
Curry and Knight? What year are you living in?

Carnac

Reaction Score

Mark my word.

I will, and I hope you're right. I've always liked Gary Blair. He reminds me of my kindly gentle grandfather. I liked my grandfather. He appears to have a gentleness to his bedside manor (coaching style). He's not a screamer or a yeller (not old yeller) like some other coaches. Mulkey however yells (at her girls, a lot of coaches do. She does not have the market cornered on yelling at players) cries and whines during every play, trying to bait the refs into calling fouls on opposing players. Her act has become tiresome to say the least. Of course her Baylor players NEVER commit any fouls, or other on-court transgressions, just ask her. No body cries, whines and begs for calls more during a game than Mulkey and Quinten Hillsman of Syracuse. Those two set the bar every season on whining and complaining to the referees during a game. :confused:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I guess everyone's desperate for something to talk about. It's a Classic Discussion Replay!

Not yet Bags. Wait until the "dog days of summer", when there's absolutely no fresh or current news coming out of the world of WCBB. No commits, no transfers, no player's accusations of coaches mistreatment, nothing. THEN we'll get desperate, and start grasping at straws. Nothing and no one will be taboo. Everything will be fair game. I know someone will start a thread that will be out in the stratosphere to the rest of us, but it will be close to their heart. :eek:

Reaction Score
This just in.... Can you believe it??? :eek:

images

Reaction Score
Story of the Day.... If you can't read it, I will translate for you....

Man with one large eye sees bird, shoots bird with ancient sling shot. Takes bird home to hut...

Some one is getting dinner tonight!! :rolleyes:

62e2847355b69caa32b3b7774744c5cf.jpg

Reaction Score
This
Yeah, but I bet she would have a hard time beating Baylor.
This is the Boneyard---let us be serious. Aston??? For Texas?? Uconn sure, Texas NEVER!!

Seems like Deaja vue (phonetically) all over again?? (he couldn't spell either)

Reaction Score
Guess it's Just down to ND UVA and UCONN for Megan #50piece Walker now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member