Gaffney Going Forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gaffney Going Forward

pj

Reaction Score
He's been a pretty terrible defender for all but 8 minutes of this season. I was responding to someone who compared him to Ricky. Which is utterly absurd.

Wasn't trying to equate Gaffney with Ricky, the comparison I intended was between the tandem of Gaffney with Cole, on the one hand, to the tandem of Ricky with Khalid. Namely, that when a basket was absolutely needed Cole would have the ball in his hand as did Khalid; while Gaffney due to his height and Cole's defensive limitations would defend the other team's top scorer, as Ricky did, helping to cover up Khalid's defensive limitations which were partly caused by his short height.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The people calling for Gaffney to totally replace Gilbert were right. He makes far fewer mistakes has a much better BB-IQ. He provides us with a much needed calming influence on offense.

Reaction Score
The people calling for Gaffney to totally replace Gilbert were right. He makes far fewer mistakes has a much better BB-IQ. He provides us with a much needed calming influence on offense.
I'll believe it when I see it Saturday. Totally different setting. Tonight was encouraging for sure though.

Reaction Score
Hurley did the right thing by giving Gilbert a chance. I was calling for the change like 8 games into the season.

To be fair though I also called for Bouk to replace CV but i like the lineup of Gaff Bouk and Vital together and CV brings so much all around.

Reaction Score

I mentioned to @BFieldHusky in a PM the other day. AG's positive is he's a one man press break, but it gets negated by the TOs, and that his terrible shooting effectively is a turnover a lot of times. It demoralizes the rest of the team--they stop trying on the boards, no one moves on offense etc. I tell my HS kids that all the time. Bad shots kill your teammates will to win and compete hard. They make them stop trying. I wouldn't either as a player. Which is especially frsutrating to me because AGs mistakes are absolutely mental. He can stop dribbling into traps, taking bad shots, and letting the ball stick in his hands starting right this second. It's about understanding roles, accepting them, and thriving in them.

Gaffney can't break the press alone like AG, and he's not that good of a ballhandler. In fact he's awful with his left. And he's not a great defender yet either. But 1) He has to learn to break the press eventually and this is the season to do it; 2) Once he gains 15lbs he will be a fine defender. His timidity is noticeable on D too. Hurley should be telling him to foul MORE if anything.

The players on the team know they are going to get the ball when Gaffney is out there. He has fantastic timing on passes, and gives the ball up early so our wings and bigs have enough time/space to attack closeouts or counter before the shot clock is down under 10. When the ball moves, good things happen. Good point guards set the tone for the team by giving it up early. The 35 dribble 20 second moves are not how this team will thrive. We don't have Kemba on the floor. But our team can still be really good if we play to our strengths--ball movement, passing, running, secondary break, getting to the rim.

I guarantee he'll have some games that look BAD by the end of the year. But IMO he's earned the chance to make those mistakes. In year 4 in this program, I'm not sure AG can say the same.

Reaction Score
I wish ppl would stop doing this, after every game a kid does ok , we’re often saying he should start or he’s the best on the team ... Whaley had a great game then followed up with a dud, same for akok, bouk, gaff I mean the list goes on and on ,... let’s enjoy the moment n see the overall process before we start making these comments on these young kids ,.. now do we need players to step up, of course especially if we’re tryna make a run these next few weeks ... I’m glad these kids are getting betterwhich leads to confidence, which leads to let’s go out there n have fun ... sooner than later it might result in Wins...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If he can move quicker in defense and tighten his handle he’ll be tough to keep from starting next year

Reaction Score
Gaffney knows when to drive to the rim and when to pass. Simple. Looking forward to his progression for the remainder of this season. Remember, he's a freshman so mistakes will certainly happen but I'm happy for him to learn from them.

Reaction Score
You can see the passing, he's already our best passer but we haven't seen a lot of what Gaffney can do yet. With more experience and less tentativeness we'll see Gaff's athleticism come out, Vital says as much...
Watch "UConn Men's Basketball Postgame (Temple) - Christian Vital" on YouTube

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cole will 1000% start over him.

:rolleyes: We have no idea. Hurley will play the guy he wants to play. My guess is that Cole starts at the beginning of 2020. But by the time Gaffney is a junior I think he'll be the better player of the two. Could happen during the season as well.

Gaffney is getting more minutes than expected right now. If the team rallies to him and embraces him as their leader, then what?

Reaction Score
CV seems like a good dude. Thanks for posting this.
I truly already miss CV, we all could tell he bled blue like 7 games into his time here. He's excelled at times, struggled at times, but his head is always there in the game. We've had guys where you see the frustration in having a bad shooting night, but I feel like CV always puts it all out there, a warrior on the court and learned from the Kemba/Shabazz school of post-game interviews

Reaction Score
The UConn PG he most reminds me of is Tate George. High dribble, decent passer, decent shooter, pretty careful with the ball, good game manager, can get to the rim and use his height. But he's not yet in the Tate George class defensively.
I’d like to see him get crazy spastic just once the way Adams does. He seems to be too cool at times—-or is he just timid. He looked good against Temple, but then again they all did, which makes me feel like the jury is still out. Definitely would like to see him shoot more cuz he looks as good as anyone. I really wonder if he has the drive-by ability that AG has even though AG was, shall we say, a little sloppy with the ball. I think he should be a pretty decent 2 guard but I wouldn’t hang my hopes on him as a point guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom