Gaffney and a theme…. | The Boneyard

Gaffney and a theme….

Reaction Score
Kudos to Gaff who’s powered through a really frustrating season and played great in the first half tonight to keep us in it. Maybe we found something with him needing space to drive with Sanogo out of the lineup.

Problem was he was glued to the bench in the 2nd half. Same thing happened with Hawkins vs Marquette. One criticism of Hurley I have is he is invisible to the “hot hand” in game and just sticks to his starters way too much in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Let’s not act like Gaffney is somehow being shortchanged. He’s regressed this year and by some stroke of luck hit his first 3 since November 30th tonight. He was glued to the bench in the second half because he’s a junior point guard who still can’t handle the ball amid any pressure. That’s all that needs to be said.

Reaction Score
Kudos to Gaff who’s powered through a really frustrating season and played great in the first half tonight to keep us in it. Maybe we found something with him needing space to drive with Sanogo out of the lineup.

Problem was he was glued to the bench in the 2nd half. Same thing happened with Hawkins vs Marquette. One criticism of Hurley I have is he is invisible to the “hot hand” in game and just sticks to his starters way too much in the 2nd half.
Hurley is inexplicably way too in love with Isaiah Whaley.

Reaction Score

He played great in the 1st half, in the 2nd half he regressed to his early issues of not being able to dribble or pass the basketball. Who should he have been playing over in the 2nd half?

Reaction Score

It was that first possession of his in the second that caused butter finger mayhem.

Reaction Score
Gaffney played really well on Sunday too. In the last week and a half, he's been fairly solid (not lighting up the scorecard, but playing competently). With RJ playing himself into foul trouble lately, let's hope he can continue to take steps forward.

Reaction Score
Gaffney played really well on Sunday too. In the last week and a half, he's been fairly solid (not lighting up the scorecard, but playing competently). With RJ playing himself into foul trouble lately, let's hope he can continue to take steps forward.
You don't remember Martin telling Gaffney to hold onto the ball after near turnovers from moderate pressure?

Reaction Score
Gaffney on the floor as a second ball handler, dribble penetrator, and shooter makes us a better team. He has to be effective of course, but if he is there are certainly more minutes available to him. Watching the smaller lineup during the St. John's game, two wings, two guards, and a big, the offensive flow was noticeably changed from what it looks like with the starting lineup. We might not be quite as adept defensively, but if we are putting up points it could be an effective lineup rotation.

Reaction Score
Over the last two games, he's played 28 mins with only one turnover. I'm not saying he's a superstar, but he's played solid minutes over the last two games.
He's still been shaky with the ball. I want him to continue to play well just as much as the next guy.

I think the key to winning these close games down the stretch will be having someone capable of running the offense in the second half when Hurley subs out Cole around the 12min mark.

I thought it was going to have to be AJ and just make him the full time back up PG. But having Gaffney be able drive to the basket and finishing in the lane on offense is great if he develops the confidence to do it consistently.

Whether or not Hurley can trust him to contribute will depend on Gaffney holding up against pressure without Cole on the flow during tight games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom