Gabby's next challenge - Kitija Laksa? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby's next challenge - Kitija Laksa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would have Kia on Laksa who is listed as a forward and is the 2nd tallest starter on USF.

Laksa plays around the 3 point line, not down low. She's a 3 point shooter. Nurse is 6' and probbly a little quicker than Laksa. Laksa is not going to get 20 to 25 shots off of Kia.

Gabby needs to be down low in the paint, grabbing rebounds and defending.

Reaction Score
Then maybe Call the Midwife!...um The Nurse.
The day may come when our lack of size presents a serious problem. If we Call the Midwife let's hope that we have a Chummy coming to the rescue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Laksa plays around the 3 point line, not down low. She's a 3 point shooter. Nurse is 6' and probbly a little quicker than Laksa. Laksa is not going to get 20 to 25 shots off of Kia.

Gabby needs to be down low in the paint, grabbing rebounds and defending.
You may be right, although I point out that Gabby was assigned to guard Arike Ogunbowle & Kelsey Mitchell, two players that played on the perimeter. I guess we will know for sure tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
Kia will draw the initial assignment of guarding Laksa. We know Kia can lock it down on defense and Laksa is a volume shooter. Does not bode well for USF.

Gabby may guard Laksa for bit but I don't see her straying too far from the paint.
If Nurse can "lock it down" why didn't Auriemma just have her lock down Kelsey Mitchell in the 1st half? IMO, UConn doesn't have any lock down defenders. They run a team defense that constantly switches and shifts to cut off passing lanes. Players like Mitchell and Ogunbowale that have the green light to freelance give them fits in the open floor. They use help defense to keep these strong offensive players from both scoring AND assisting. Once they take away the ability to penetrate, they're left to chuck up low percentage shots from outside and their effectiveness is cut drastically.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Laksa was a freshman last year and the # 2 or 3 scoring option. I suspect she has developed her game as a sophomore and she is clearly USF's #1 scoring option.

We all know that Geno likes to take away an opponent's top scoring option or at least make life difficult for them (Ogunbowle & Mitchell in the 2nd half). USF has no real low post threat. I may well be wrong, but I see Gabby locking down Laksa tomorrow night.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's my admittedly highly anecdotal impression too. What are they doing over there rule wise or otherwise to produce this OR are we just getting their very best and wrongly extrapolating?
That's were I would put my money.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would have Kia on Laksa who is listed as a forward and is the 2nd tallest starter on USF.
Because Laska is predominantly a perimeter player, specifically a 3PT gunner who has attempted more 3Pt shots than all the other USF starters combined.
Gabby will have her hands full guarding Jespersen who is leading USF in rebounding.
I think the matchups look more like this:
Williams 5'11" on Jespersen 6"
Collier 6'1" on Pujol 6'1"
KLS 6'3" on Ferrira 5'11"
Nurse 6' on Laska 6'
Chong 5'7" on Flores 5'7"
This might be the rare/only competitive game where UCONN has a size advantage.

Reaction Score
Watching the replays from last year, Laksa mostly sets up on the three-point line. Even when she's cutting through screens, her destination is the line.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa ... quite the player, but when I see her name in print I think of some Scandinavian pickled fish dish! More and more European players are filling US college ranks. Is their prep better in Europe? Do European rules make for better prep?
That's were I would put my money.
The one rule difference that some keep harping on is the shot clock. There are several states in US where a kid can make it through HS never having played with a shot clock. The theory (I some what buy into) is that the shot clock becomes a reality earlier in Europe so that kids develop a more diverse set of skill just incase you find yourself with the ball in your hands late in the shot clock.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Nurse can "lock it down" why didn't Auriemma just have her lock down Kelsey Mitchell in the 1st half? IMO, UConn doesn't have any lock down defenders. They run a team defense that constantly switches and shifts to cut off passing lanes. Players like Mitchell and Ogunbowale that have the green light to freelance give them fits in the open floor. They use help defense to keep these strong offensive players from both scoring AND assisting. Once they take away the ability to penetrate, they're left to chuck up low percentage shots from outside and their effectiveness is cut drastically.
I think I read that they were going to be working on their 1v1 defense during this little break between games. Guess we'll see how well they did.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Jose seems to place an inordinate level of importance on beating UConn. Likely some because...well...it's UConn, some because he wants to be the first AAC team to beat UConn, some because he and Geno get along so well. I expect to see a twist or two out of USF.

We were spared that vs. DePaul because we blasted them out of the gate; anything Bruno had ready for us he likely pulled in case he needs it come March.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Jose seems to place an inordinate level of importance on beating UConn. Likely some because...well...it's UConn, some because he wants to be the first AAC team to beat UConn, some because he and Geno get along so well. I expect to see a twist or two out of USF.
We were spared that vs. DePaul because we blasted them out of the gate; anything Bruno had ready for us he likely pulled in case he needs it come March.
Let's not forget how much Geno hates to loose and how perfectly capable he is of creating his own twist. UCONN's MOV against USF has actually been increasing +16, +20, +26 in last 3 games.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget how much Geno hates to loose and how perfectly capable he is of creating his own twist. UCONN's MOV against USF has actually been increasing +16, +20, +26 in last 3 games.
Agreed. My point is that I think he pushes his coaching friends for this. Challenges them to come up with something that he has not prepared his team for. I'm STILL waiting for someone to pull The System on him to see how we handle it.

Oh, and BTW:

grammar nazi.jpg

Reaction Score
Sorry HardHatGuy#2, but it wasn't grammar (which was perfect), but spelling. (BTW, I live in that glass house, too!) :)

people-who-live-in-glass-houses-shouldnt-throw-stones-quote-1.jpeg

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
USF plays a lot like DePaul. Their 2nd leading scorer & top rebounder is Maria Pedersen who, at 6'0", is more of an outside scorer than traditional post. Their biggest starter is Pujol at 6'1". They played only 6 players vs Tulsa.

Of course Geno is the master, but I would put Lou on Pedersen, Pheesa on Pujol, and then Kia and Saniya/Danger on their 2 guards.

I also point out that Gabby had the primary defensive assignments to guard Ogunbowle (ND) & Mitchell (OSU), vs teams with much better post players than USF.
I'm going to assume the player named Maria that you're referring to is Maria Jesperson, as the Bulls don't have anyone named Pederson on their roster currently. They had a 6'5" center last year that played quite a bit against Connecticut, I don't know how much she plays now, but I doubt Gabby winds up on Laksa, I believe Geno challenges Lou this game to step up her defensive game and play Laksa. They have similar games and Lou is bigger so her size may bother Laksa.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume the player named Maria that you're referring to is Maria Jesperson, as the Bulls don't have anyone named Pederson on their roster currently. They had a 6'5" center last year that played quite a bit against Connecticut, I don't know how much she plays now, but I doubt Gabby winds up on Laksa, I believe Geno challenges Lou this game to step up her defensive game and play Laksa. They have similar games and Lou is bigger so her size may bother Laksa.

The 6'5"' center is Katelyn Weber. She has started nine games. Freshman Tamara Henshaw, who is about 6'2," has started, in her place, the past five games.

FWIW, Laura Ferreira will not play against UCONN. She is now expected to be out for the rest of the year, due to her lingering injury. Despite her condition, she played off the bench in nine games.

For more player info see: USF Combined Team Statistics.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/pdf9/5086312.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=7700

Reaction Score
Am I remembering correctly that Ferreira was playing hurt last year at the end of the season? Feet maybe?

Is this the same injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog