Gabby's next challenge - Kitija Laksa? | The Boneyard

Gabby's next challenge - Kitija Laksa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the fascinating matchups that I hope will occur during the USF-UConn game on Tuesday night is Gabby defending high-scoring Kitija Laksa. The Gabulous one has already proved to be a terrific defender in containing some of the top scorers in the country. Since USF really doesn’t have any strong inside post players, Geno has the luxury of assigning Gabby the responsibility of shutting down USF’s top scorer, Laksa at 21.6 ppg.

Laksa put up 37 pts last night vs Tulsa. At 6’ she is a deadly 3 pt shooter, that also has the ability to score inside the arc. Gabby is perhaps the most athletic defender ever in WBB. Her quickness, leaping ability and relentless energy create a nightmare matchup for opponents. Gabby’s best effort to date was against high-scoring, 6’4” Jessica Shepard of Nebraska who she held to 1 for 13 shooting.

Of course, with all matchups, UConn plays TEAM DEFENSE, switching all over the court, so it will ultimately be a team effort to shut down Laksa and the Bulls offense. Should be great fun to watch as the Huskies go for # 90 in a row.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Suspect that Kia will get serious minutes against her, too. Depending on rotation, and whether Natalie gets long minutes, because otherwise I'd want to see Gabby guarding someone who generally plays closer to the basket.
USF plays a lot like DePaul. Their 2nd leading scorer & top rebounder is Maria Pedersen who, at 6'0", is more of an outside scorer than traditional post. Their biggest starter is Pujol at 6'1". They played only 6 players vs Tulsa.

Of course Geno is the master, but I would put Lou on Pedersen, Pheesa on Pujol, and then Kia and Saniya/Danger on their 2 guards.

I also point out that Gabby had the primary defensive assignments to guard Ogunbowle (ND) & Mitchell (OSU), vs teams with much better post players than USF.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Suspect that Kia will get serious minutes against her, too. Depending on rotation, and whether Natalie gets long minutes, because otherwise I'd want to see Gabby guarding someone who generally plays closer to the basket.

Then maybe Call the Midwife!...um The Nurse.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
USF plays a lot like DePaul. Their 2nd leading scorer & top rebounder is Maria Pedersen who, at 6'0", is more of an outside scorer than traditional post. Their biggest starter is Pujol at 6'1". They played only 6 players vs Tulsa.

Of course Geno is the master, but I would put Lou on Pedersen, Pheesa on Pujol, and then Kia and Saniya/Danger on their 2 guards.

I also point out that Gabby had the primary defensive assignments to guard Ogunbowle (ND) & Mitchell (OSU), vs teams with much better post players than USF.

I take it you mean Jespersen?

Reaction Score
I suspect Nurse will get more time watching Laksa than Gabby, who is generally working closer to the basket. Still, a Gabby-vs.-Laksa matchup would be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
That's some badass insight, oldude. Exactly why I love the Boneyard. Thanks.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great post, oldude. I am thinking the same thing, Gabby will be assigned the task of making life miserable for Laksa.

Will be switching as always and Nurse will take some turns, but Gabby will be the primary shutter-downer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USF plays a pretty good motion offense so initial assignments are going to be pretty meaningless with all the switching uconn does, and with USF being equally height challenged, there will not be the concern of switching back when Nurse or Chong gets stuck guarding a 'post' player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa ... quite the player, but when I see her name in print I think of some Scandinavian pickled fish dish! More and more European players are filling US college ranks. Is their prep better in Europe? Do European rules make for better prep?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa ... quite the player, but when I see her name in print I think of some Scandinavian pickled fish dish! More and more European players are filling US college ranks. Is their prep better in Europe? Do European rules make for better prep?
While US players are generally more athletic & individually skilled, I do believe that European players are better at playing "team" basketball. They pass and cut better. They also seem to shoot the basketball better.

Fortunately, at UConn we get the best of both worlds with tremendously skilled players who play great TEAM basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While US players are generally more athletic & individually skilled, I do believe that European players are better at playing "team" basketball. They pass and cut better. They also seem to shoot the basketball better.

That's my admittedly highly anecdotal impression too. What are they doing over there rule wise or otherwise to produce this OR are we just getting their very best and wrongly extrapolating?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other difference is that we tend to get the best players in Europe coming to the US (at least the best that want to get an education and not start a pro career.) So we see the top end of the non-pro talent - say #15 - #75 ranked players from Europe. And very infrequently are they AA quality, but playing on mid-ranked teams they may be the best player on that team.
Europe is a great place to look for teams that are not getting much traction with US HS highly rated players - but can you think of many since Sveta that would start and star on a Uconn, ND, or similar highly ranked team?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kia will draw the initial assignment of guarding Laksa. We know Kia can lock it down on defense and Laksa is a volume shooter. Does not bode well for USF.

Gabby may guard Laksa for bit but I don't see her straying too far from the paint.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia will draw the initial assignment of guarding Laksa. We know Kia can lock it down on defense and Laksa is a volume shooter. Does not bode well for USF.

Gabby may guard Laksa for bit but I don't see her straying too far from the paint.
Not sure why you would have Kia on Laksa who is listed as a forward and is the 2nd tallest starter on USF.

Reaction Score
The other difference is that we tend to get the best players in Europe coming to the US (at least the best that want to get an education and not start a pro career.) So we see the top end of the non-pro talent - say #15 - #75 ranked players from Europe. And very infrequently are they AA quality, but playing on mid-ranked teams they may be the best player on that team.
Europe is a great place to look for teams that are not getting much traction with US HS highly rated players - but can you think of many since Sveta that would start and star on a Uconn, ND, or similar highly ranked team?
Well before Sveta, must have been early 90's, I remember a pretty impressive Israeli kid who's name escapes me- I remember she only played for a year, but I remember being very impressed- maybe around the time of Nadev Henefeld?(spelling?)

Reaction Score
Laksa plays on the perimeter, and Kia is the same height and is a physical defender. You want Gabby and Napheesa closer to the basket to rebound and start the break. Laksa is not a physical specimen. She's not very quick, and Kia will shut her down, with some help from the others. Just stay with her because she doesn't drive much, unless she's diversified her game from last year. Mostly a spot-up shooter.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Poor Laksa. Someone that's going to force her to put the ball on the floor or shoot 25 footers. The question for USF is, who's going to take up the offensive slack?

Reaction Score
Skimming through the last two games that Laksa played against UConn, Lou and Kia drew the pleasure of guarding Ms. Laksa most of the time. She totaled 17 points in the first game and 3 in the conference championship.

Reaction Score
One of the fascinating matchups that I hope will occur during the USF-UConn game on Tuesday night is Gabby defending high-scoring Kitija Laksa. The Gabulous one has already proved to be a terrific defender in containing some of the top scorers in the country. Since USF really doesn’t have any strong inside post players, Geno has the luxury of assigning Gabby the responsibility of shutting down USF’s top scorer, Laksa at 21.6 ppg.

Laksa put up 37 pts last night vs Tulsa. At 6’ she is a deadly 3 pt shooter, that also has the ability to score inside the arc. Gabby is perhaps the most athletic defender ever in WBB. Her quickness, leaping ability and relentless energy create a nightmare matchup for opponents. Gabby’s best effort to date was against high-scoring, 6’4” Jessica Shepard of Nebraska who she held to 1 for 13 shooting.

Of course, with all matchups, UConn plays TEAM DEFENSE, switching all over the court, so it will ultimately be a team effort to shut down Laksa and the Bulls offense. Should be great fun to watch as the Huskies go for # 90 in a row.

Interestingly, Laksa shoots slightly better from three point land (.429 before today) vs (.425) from inside the arc............she is a very savy player and will try to get whoever is covering her into foul trouble..........Jespersen is their #2 scorer (14.4 before today) but she is at .343 from three and .459 from inside the arc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well before Sveta, must have been early 90's, I remember a pretty impressive Israeli kid who's name escapes me- I remember she only played for a year, but I remember being very impressed- maybe around the time of Nadev Henefeld?(spelling?)
Renee Najarian?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Skimming through the last two games that Laksa played against UConn, Lou and Kia drew the pleasure of guarding Ms. Laksa most of the time. She totaled 17 points in the first game and 3 in the conference championship.
I would also point out that when Courtney Williams was giving Mo & the Huskies fits last year, Geno put Gabby in the game, who did a very good job containing her.

Reaction Score
That's my admittedly highly anecdotal impression too. What are they doing over there rule wise or otherwise to produce this OR are we just getting their very best and wrongly extrapolating?
Maybe it's because they don't have AAU coaches who let them slide on fundamentals and do whatever they want so that Dad won't take them to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom