Gabby's Backcourt Passing | The Boneyard

Gabby's Backcourt Passing

Reaction Score
No one is a bigger Gabby fan than I. I don't mean this as anything more than an idle observation, but I am getting increasingly nervous these days when Gabby helps to beat the press. Lately she's made a significant number of haphazard passes which have been either intercepted or tipped. Last night she had seven turnovers and additionally had two or three backcourt passes tipped which could easily have become turnovers and left her with her second triple double (points, rebounds and turnovers) of the season.

I'm sure this is just a temporary affliction the coaching staff will cure.

Reaction Score
I too have noted that- Gabby appears to be playing more guard-like- handling the ball and bringing up the rear. My guess would be to prepare her for the WNBA. She'll get better.

Reaction Score
No one is a bigger Gabby fan than I. I don't mean this as anything more than an idle observation, but I am getting increasingly nervous these days when Gabby helps to beat the press. Lately she's made a significant number of haphazard passes which have been either intercepted or tipped. Last night she had seven turnovers and additionally had two or three backcourt passes tipped which could easily have become turnovers and left her with her second triple double (points, rebounds and turnovers) of the season.

I agree - but I don't think it is just the backcourt. And as you say I do expect the Staff/Gabby to fix this as we move along.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some of Gabby’s TOs in the games when she had 10 and 7 were from being lax and some were from being too aggressive. She gambles more than Geno would like. She is second on the team in assists, but I agree that she needs to reduce the TOs. Maybe curing the migraines will help that stat.

Reaction Score
I think she's suffering from a lack of concentration possibly having to do with her ongoing migraine situation..........if she can put that behind her I bet you will see the Gabby we are so used to seeing

Reaction Score
At least 2 if not 3 were due to miscommunication. One stands out in particular, Kia was wide open for a backdoor cut but was also open for a 3ptr. Gabby threw the ball anticipating the cut. Kia stood looking for the 3.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think that the miscues in the halfcourt offense may be due to still learning new movement patterns. I think that’s unlikely in the backcourt, though. Given that it’s happening in both situations, I think it’s most likely not from the new system, and something the coaching staff will have to really work with her on.

Beyond that, she looked really good last night. I’m encouraged.

Reaction Score
Last night was a case of falling into the craziness that DePaul creates with the way they want to play. Our press break struggled at times getting getting the ball to middle of the court rather than the sides where the number of pass options become minimized; playing too fast leads to high risk passes. All of which increase TO's. Plus, she's handling the ball a whole lot more this year.

Reaction Score
I agree on Kia when quick teams are pressing her in the backcourt she gets trapped she gets it tipped or throws it away. We will not see this pressure in our league however.
Geno has Gabby out near foul lane guarding and that is fine but against UCLA and ND that leaves no one rebounding in her spot. It is big difference when our Duke Transfer is down low who does a great job rebounding and stopping layups. We are so lucky she so positive and gifted. She could be No.1 drafted WNBA Player next year!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Let's hope so. This season she has 33 assists and 33 turnovers and 3 blocks. Last season she had 190 assists and 86 turnovers and 52 blocks. The odd thing is quite number of her turnovers almost look like nonchalant casually telegraphed passes. Something is amiss.

Reaction Score
Last night was a case of falling into the craziness that DePaul creates with the way they want to play. Our press break struggled at times getting getting the ball to middle of the court rather than the sides where the number of pass options become minimized; playing too fast leads to high risk passes. All of which increase TO's. Plus, she's handling the ball a whole lot more this year.
Agree here. Turn overs are not a big concern when you beat teams by 30. Geno wants fast up tempo play. This will also increase TOs

Reaction Score
Some of Gabby’s TOs in the games when she had 10 and 7 were from being lax and some were from being too aggressive. She gambles more than Geno would like. She is second on the team in assists, but I agree that she needs to reduce the TOs. Maybe curing the migraines will help that stat.

She tries to lead people rather than just throwing it to them. Reality is most of the time she should just be shooting it or taking one or 2 more dribbles and finishing. Simply put she's not as good of a passer as she thinks she is.

Reaction Score
Let's hope so. This season she has 33 assists and 33 turnovers and 3 blocks. Last season she had 190 assists and 86 turnovers and 52 blocks. The odd thing is quite number of her turnovers almost look like nonchalant casually telegraphed passes. Something is amiss.

Gabby played Point Forward last season and ran the offense more that Kia, Saniya, or anyone else. First forward to lead UConn in Assists for a season.

Gabby's role has changed big time this season. Geno has Crystal navigating the destroyer. Geno has Azura posting up in the low block, with Pheesa at the high post feeding Azura. Gabby does not have the ball in here hands as much compared to last season.

Gabby had 7 assists last night. She would have had 9 but Pheesa missed two layups. I think Gabby would have had 10 assists, but someone was fouled on the play and did not convert.

Gabby also did not play the entire 4th quarter last night. I will ask Geno in our weekly Sunday phone call why the other Fab Five played in the 4th but not Gabby.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Gabby's role has changed big time this season.

I think Collier's role has changed this year. Stevens presence has moved Collier out of her sweet spot in the post. She seems to be rushing her layups this year. If she plans on playing in WNBA, she will have to figure out her new role because this how it will be in the pros.

Reaction Score
Agree here. Turn overs are not a big concern when you beat teams by 30. Geno wants fast up tempo play. This will also increase TOs

I don't agree. Going after it for a couple is okay. UCONN has overwhelming talent. She should never have 10 or 7. That's just being sloppy/lazy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom