Gabby Williams | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't Canada have slightly different rules from the US in basketball. I really like Kia Nurse, she is going to be a good one.

Honestly I think people are making way too much out of the Nurse foul situation. If you go back and watch the game 3 of the fouls called against her were questionable and not fouls IMHO. She is young and she will learn what she can and can't get away with in due time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm curious, does anyone think that Geno's coaching of the Olympic team has hurt the Uconn team as far as developing the freshmen?

Yes, as I've been saying since the last Olympics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It has been relatively hard for a coach to have an impact on the development of freshmen during the summer prior to their first school because of NCAA rules. Coaches are very limited in their ability to even watch practices and how those practices occur are in very small groups. Those involved with players, such as, conditioning coaches and position coaches still conducted practices or were uninvolved with team USA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="hjoerring, post: 1133682, member: 3630"]The logic: if you want to play then have great practices. How convenient. By this logic we could have a different team on the floor every game as players try to outdo each other..[/QUOTE]

When you say "How conevenient." I say "how it should be."

Secondly- imo I don't believe in how you look at practices is even close to being correct. For example Gabby is playing the post. She could be competing against BS. You really think the practices are going to show that many days Gabby is cleaning Stewies's clock? You think she is outplaying Tuck near 3 times a week? You think her footwork and passing etc is going to outshine BS and MT that often?

I'm not questioning the coaching decision; however, were I to be a recruit ranking outside the top 5 I would question coming to Uconn...

So you wouldn't have come to UCONN if you were Stef or Saniya or any of the freshmen?

My point is not whether player A or B should get in the game- when, how and why; as it is when do we play our freshmen. Bria started out of necessity- would she had been better off sitting? Chong's defense is glaringly poor, was it why she sat last year? Would it have helped her to be on the court last year..

Would it? I don't know, do you? Are you trying to say every frehmen that gets a lot of mintues will perform better than they did early - if they get those minutes in the NCAA tourney in their frosh year? Can you explain then with all the minutes that Maya/Dt and Tina got how did their last freshman NCAA game turn out?

How much improvement was Charde in the NCAA's her frosh year and soph year? How about her sr year?

Now she will have to correct it why playing or sit in favor of Kia.

I read on another thread you seem to think Stokes should have gotten more minutes as a frosh. Anyhow - how did Ann Strother and Barb Turner and Will Crockett do in their jr and sr years with all the mintues they got as frosh - how did they individually do in their jr year? Sr year BT was fanstatic in NCAA's but how much did she improve overall from frosh to sr year? How many of these players were all-americans despite all the minutes they got over their career?

Now that you want the young kids to play - why not reduce Stokes to 10-15 minutes and give much more to Gabby? That way she'll improve a lot more by her sr year, right? That's what you wanted to do with Stokes as a frosh, right (she gets minutes at the expense of someone else?)? Don't give MoJeff or Kaleena 40 minutes in big games, right? Give more mintues to the frosh so MoJeff and Kaleena never come close to 40 mintues in a big gamess? How are all the frosh supposed to get better if you don't give them at least 15 minutes each in big games, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
W
Wow, Now it's all Nurse's fault!?
That's awesome.
Maybe you missed her trying to do something about players running thru the Huskies like a sieve. She put her body on the line to stop what no one else seemed capable or able to do.
Trying to stop five opposing players virtually by your self is impossible to do without fouling out. Have you ever played the game?

Were it not for your smart comment at the end I would have chalked the formentioned comments as simply missing my point. Uconn was/is known as a team that foul very little-- can't remember so many players fouling out in a game. Referencing Nurse was meant to say that our (team and individual) defense was under par, even from a defensive minded guard as Nurse. "Put[ting] your body on the line to stop" the opposing player is stupid. Taking a charge is something else- it is an offensive foul. I think she is a lot smarter then your explanations about what she wanted to effect defensively. I am sure you have played the game the way you have described it-- throwing your body out there.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="hjoerring, post: 1133682, member: 3630"]The logic: if you want to play then have great practices. How convenient. By this logic we could have a different team on the floor every game as players try to outdo each other..[/QUOTE]

When you say "How conevenient." I say "how it should be."

Secondly- imo I don't believe in how you look at practices is even close to being correct. For example Gabby is playing the post. She could be competing against BS. You really think the practices are going to show that many days Gabby is cleaning Stewies's clock? You think she is outplaying Tuck near 3 times a week? You think her footwork and passing etc is going to outshine BS and MT that often?

I'm not questioning the coaching decision; however, were I to be a recruit ranking outside the top 5 I would question coming to Uconn...

So you wouldn't have come to UCONN if you were Stef or Saniya or any of the freshmen?

My point is not whether player A or B should get in the game- when, how and why; as it is when do we play our freshmen. Bria started out of necessity- would she had been better off sitting? Chong's defense is glaringly poor, was it why she sat last year? Would it have helped her to be on the court last year..

Would it? I don't know, do you? Are you trying to say every frehmen that gets a lot of mintues will perform better than they did early - if they get those minutes in the NCAA tourney in their frosh year? Can you explain then with all the minutes that Maya/Dt and Tina got how did their last freshman NCAA game turn out?

How much improvement was Charde in the NCAA's her frosh year and soph year? How about her sr year?

Now she will have to correct it why playing or sit in favor of Kia.

I read on another thread you seem to think Stokes should have gotten more minutes as a frosh. Anyhow - how did Ann Strother and Barb Turner and Will Crockett do in their jr and sr years with all the mintues they got as frosh - how did they individually do in their jr year? Sr year BT was fanstatic in NCAA's but how much did she improve overall from frosh to sr year? How many of these players were all-americans despite all the minutes they got over their career?

Now that you want the young kids to play - why not reduce Stokes to 10-15 minutes and give much more to Gabby? That way she'll improve a lot more by her sr year, right? That's what you wanted to do with Stokes as a frosh, right (she gets minutes at the expense of someone else?)? Don't give MoJeff or Kaleena 40 minutes in big games, right? Give more mintues to the frosh so MoJeff and Kaleena never come close to 40 mintues in a big gamess? How are all the frosh supposed to get better if you don't give them at least 15 minutes each in big games, right?

Don't get angry. Your points are well taken. Practice might be the great equalizer, afterall all are cogn. about it when the signed-up. I confess that I have no formula for who should play when and how much. If one-half the team say that they have no interest in post-college basketball should more time be given to others? How does the program mkt players for WNBA? If Stewart scores 20+ points per 20 min in the first half of games do we accept that she sits.
As to my comments about a certain player not coming to Uconn- we know that the Program's pool is small. We know that we have a lot more competition today then yesterday, so it is not getting easier for us (and others). There is little new about schools recruiting against us telling players that they will sit or be practice players. Yet, all the great players say it starts in practice. That is sometime hard to sell to a young recruit who is being torned in all directions about where to go.
Lastly, rumors have saved many lives so ignore it at your own peril.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Honestly I think people are making way too much out of the Nurse foul situation. If you go back and watch the game 3 of the fouls called against her were questionable and not fouls IMHO. She is young and she will learn what she can and can't get away with in due time.

Don't be silly. It's more fun to jump on what appears to be a LARGE deficiency and leverage it as a reason that we are doomed! You are making way too much sense and you need to stop it NOW!

(kidding)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm starting to really like you Chappy

How can you NOT like a 68 yr old granny lady who is still willing to writhe on that pole?

Reaction Score
How can you NOT like a 68 yr old granny lady who is still willing to writhe on that pole?
For the record...I am not 68, nor am I a granny. That was another poster. But I may be willing to writhe on poles if the price is right ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My apologies. Senior moment.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'll go take my meds. Apologies to Ellie too. Let the dance continue.

Reaction Score
Don't get angry. Your points are well taken. Practice might be the great equalizer, afterall all are cogn. about it when the signed-up. I confess that I have no formula for who should play when and how much. If one-half the team say that they have no interest in post-college basketball should more time be given to others? How does the program mkt players for WNBA? If Stewart scores 20+ points per 20 min in the first half of games do we accept that she sits.
As to my comments about a certain player not coming to Uconn- we know that the Program's pool is small. We know that we have a lot more competition today then yesterday, so it is not getting easier for us (and others). There is little new about schools recruiting against us telling players that they will sit or be practice players. Yet, all the great players say it starts in practice. That is sometime hard to sell to a young recruit who is being torned in all directions about where to go.

I'm not angry. There is nothing to be angry about. Just wondering why you think pracices aren't so improtant when at least for me I think they are the foundation of a player's growth. Note I said "foundation."

You went on to say--- Now she will have to correct it why playing or sit in favor of Kia. along with you saying you don't like to watch good players sit.

This tells me whther you have a formual or not - "by correcting it" it seems like you think Geno is making a mistake.

I wasn't angry. I'm even more confused though. Thsi istament really confused me.

Now she will have to correct it why playing or sit in favor of Kia

Correct what? I get the feeling you think Geno is blundering. Then in another you seem to pull-back from that. Whatever ----not important. Can't wait for next game.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UOTE="Geno-ista, post: 1133560, member: 3581"]Jon- I'm relaxed. I was responding to above posters saying we blew the game because Geno didn't play Gabby Williams. I agree that Tuck may be starting over Stokes soon enough. Gabby will play when Geno feels she's ready. The game was blown 10 times. Stokes tossing the 20 ft shot with 20 secs on the clock. 3-4 3 secs calls, chgs called on UConn when defender was in the box, KML taking chg just outside the box/ and getting called for block. Stewie block with a canton foul. Same on Nurse's 4th foul- perfect defense and Orrange goes to the line. If Moriah stays with Orrange, Samuelson was already doubled. Fouling gives the chance to drain the first shoy- throw a brick on the second , get a long rebound and hit a two or get fouled. They were in the bonus. No brainier if they weren't in the bonus. It was a fun game though!
Tuck won't start over kiah for the fact we need rebounding and her defense present. Tuck can start tho she is an all around player my thing with her is she doesn't get off the ground much. Also kiah didn't play that bad just made a couple bonehead plays[/QUOTE]
U may be right. Stokes is ok on offense at the low post, but everything stops at the high post. I'm not so sure that we will not see Tuck start soon. And truthfully, I bet she see's the same amt of minutes off the bench anyway. She gets it on offense. Her first step is still quick, and she can drain a shot from outside. She's relaxed with the ball in her hands. At the high post, when Kiah gets the ball, it still looks like a hot potato.

Reaction Score
Just because a player starts doesn't mean they will play a lot minutes. It usually works out that way but not always. I am pretty sure who starts is more important to the UConn fans than it is to the UConn players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tuck won't start over kiah for the fact we need rebounding and her defense present. Tuck can start tho she is an all around player my thing with her is she doesn't get off the ground much. Also kiah didn't play that bad just made a couple bonehead plays
U may be right. Stokes is ok on offense at the low post, but everything stops at the high post. I'm not so sure that we will not see Tuck start soon. And truthfully, I bet she see's the same amt of minutes off the bench anyway. She gets it on offense. Her first step is still quick, and she can drain a shot from outside. She's relaxed with the ball in her hands. At the high post, when Kiah gets the ball, it still looks like a hot potato.[/QUOTE]
Agree with your comments. It appears that Kiah gets nervous on offense. Hopefully, that will dissipate with more playing time. The bad decision that sticks out in my mind was the last play of overtime against Stanford. Kiah received the inbounds pass and passed it back to KML, instead of forward to Chong who was open at half court and could at least have attempted a shot. That made K look bad so far from the basket with no options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom