Gabby Williams traded to Los Angeles Sparks following suspension by Chicago Sky | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams traded to Los Angeles Sparks following suspension by Chicago Sky

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As many expected, basketball fans have seen the last of Gabby Williams in Chicago. The former UConn star and No. 4 overall pick in the 2018 WNBA draft by the Chicago Sky has been traded to the Los Angeles Sparks, the teams announced Sunday afternoon.

1620758880422.png

According to multiple reports, the Sparks are working on a contract extension for Williams who was in the final year of her rookie scale contract prior to the suspension.

“We’re excited to bring Gabby Williams into the L.A. Sparks organization,” Sparks general manager and coach Derek Fisher said in a statement. “At just 24 years old, Gabby is a versatile player who still has the potential to make a major impact in this league. She fits into what we’re building in Los Angeles, and we look forward to the future with her in a Sparks uniform.”

Welcome to So. Cal Gabby. LA is a lot closer to Sparks Nevada than Chicago. You'll love it here. :) Speaking for the local Sparks fans (and local UConn fans), we're extremely happy to have you. :D It's a "Gabulous" day in the southland.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Living in LA it will be nice to have a reason to root for them. I hated Parker on the team, was no fan of Ogwumike(s), Maybrey = yuck. Oddly, I was not a fan of Sid Wiese either.

Now Maybrey is gone, Tolliver, Augustus and Holmes are on the team (like all of them) and Gabby will give them a UCONN flavor. Will be fun to go to some games this year...

Carnac

Reaction Score
Will Gabby get to play during the 2021 WNBA season?
That’s up to her. As the article states, she has other “obligations” of her own doing which prevent her from reporting to her WNBA team to begin the season. Those other “irons in the fire“ could cause her to miss 70-80% of the season. The choice is hers. The Sparks like the Sky would love to have had her in camp to begin the season.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oddly, I was not a fan of Sid Wiese either.
You got some 'splainin' to do. It's hard for me to fathom anybody finding anything objectionable about her.

Oh, and don't go to Corvallis. They might tar and feather you if they find out about this.

Yeah, honestly can't really understand how anybody could dislike Nneka either.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You got some 'splainin' to do. It's hard for me to fathom anybody finding anything objectionable about her.

Oh, and don't go to Corvallis. They might tar and feather you if they find out about this.

Yeah, honestly can't really understand how anybody could dislike Nneka either.
I respect EricLA’s opinion, and usually agree with him. I didn’t respond to his post, but like you, I like Nneka, and don’t see any reason why anyone would dislike her. I liked her at Stanford and was elated when the Sparks made her the first overall draft pick the year she came out.

She’s very intelligent, is a team leader, she’s not hard to coach or play with, she doesn't talk trash, and she brings her hard hat and lunch pail to work everyday. Like Aaliyah Edwards (who is one of my favorites), she doesn't shrink or disappear. You know exactly what you’re going to get from her every game. With Parker gone, this is HER team now. Everyone has their favorites. Obviously she’s not one of his, but no explanation is needed. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respect EricLA’s opinion, and usually agree with him. I didn’t respond to his post, but like you, I like Nneka, and don’t see any reason why anyone would dislike her. I liked her at Stanford and was elated when the Sparks made her the first overall draft pick the year she came out.

She’s very intelligent, is a team leader, she’s not hard to coach or play with, and brings her hard hat and lunch pail to work everyday. Like Aaliyah Edwards, you know what you’re going to get from her every game. Everyone has their favorites. Obviously she’s not one of his. ?
Nneka has always been one of my favorite players, doesn't take plays off.Even with Candace on the team, she has been their best player since 2016.

Reaction Score
That’s up to her. As the article states, she has other “obligations” of her own doing which prevent her from reporting to her WNBA team to begin the season. Those other “irons in the fire“ could cause her to miss 70-80% of the season. The choice is hers. The Sparks like the Sky would love to have had her in camp to begin the season.
No she can't play. The suspension cannot be reversed by either team in the season of her suspension.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Heard somewhere that Syd got traded to Washington, so for any LA fans that for whatever reason didn't like her, now a non issue.

Carnac

Reaction Score
No- Jessica Moore played there for several years as a back up to both Leslie, Delisha Milton-Jones, and Parker. She got some good minutes for them.

View attachment 67438
Guess who........a tip o’ the turban to anyone that can identify the player in this photo that’s guarding her. ?

Reaction Score
FYI, Augustus retired voluntarily. (WNBA transactions)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guess who........a tip o’ the turban to anyone that can identify the player in this photo that’s guarding her. ?
Well, defense sought of but she seemed to already had the announcing bug pointing out other players. ;)

Reaction Score
Took a long time to make this connection:

The Lady from Sparks is joining team Sparks, one State farther West. Hope the sparks on court will illuminate what the cloudy Sky missed.

Considering the two years she missed in her HS junior and senior years, I considered this year as the time for her confidence on court to catch up with her physical attributes. Her performance in the EuroLeague with Sopron bears witness: a good sign for the Sparks.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom