Gabby Williams/Shakayla Thomas | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams/Shakayla Thomas

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
An announcer doing the Louisville, Florida State game said that Louisville,s coach stated that Thomas is the best athlete in WCBB. Is he correct? I saw where another poster heard it also. I have my opinion and I know that was just Walz's opinion. I'm just curious about what some of you think.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
An announcer doing the Louisville, Florida State game said that Louisville,s coach stated that Thomas is the best athlete in WCBB. Is he correct? I saw where another poster heard it also. I have my opinion and I know that was just Walz's opinion. I'm just curious about what some of you think.
I think she is a very good athlete. I would not say she is the best. I do however think her fade away jumper will be blocked mercilessly at the next level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hear the comment during the game and immediately though Jeff was wrong and it should be Gabby. Then I though about it. It could be that the announcer did not relay Jeff's full message which could just as easily have been "best Athlete he's seen play".
UCONN has not played Louisville since Gabby arrived. Jeff goes up against Shakayla Thomas and FSU at least twice per year.
Gabby will change Jeff's mind two days before valentine's day.

Reaction Score
Top 5 best "athletes" in the country:

1. Gabby Williams
2. Shakayla Thomas
3. Anriel Howard
4. Monique Billings
5. Toss up between 3 frosh who will move up next year( M. Walker, L. Grissett, R. Davis).

It's pretty remarkable that the top 3 are only 5'11" post players and Howard and Williams are world class trackletes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's 5'11" and can dunk. True, it is like most 5'11" people dunk - way too much effort and prep to make it a real tool, but she's abviously very athletic. Her FG % is pretty impressive at 52.9% and she shoots foul shots at a less impressive 65.2, she averages over 7 rebounds a game, assists, blocks and steals insignificant. 18.5 points a game. Her contribution on the court doesn't add up to Gabby's, so ....

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shakayla Thomas is good, but Jeff Waltz and the Louisville women haven't played UConn yet. Gabby is a special player.....hurt hip and all :).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

1. Gabby Williams
2. Shakayla Thomas
3. Anriel Howard
4. Monique Billings
5. Toss up between 3 frosh who will move up next year( M. Walker, L. Grissett, R. Davis).

It's pretty remarkable that the top 3 are only 5'11" post players and Howard and Williams are world class trackletes.
Was not aware of Howard's track accomplishments until now. Thanks
Joyner Holmes was also very accomplished in track in HS.

Reaction Score
Shakayla's a super athlete, but I prefer Gabby on my team. Broader skillset in most respects. Gabby just needs to gain more confidence with her shooting from mid (and hopefully eventually long) range. Will be important in the W. In fact I would not be at all shocked if Kia Nurse outperforms her for a year or three because she actually can threaten from deep.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You can have all athletes in the world but if they don't have all the fundamentals, particularly PASSING, who wants to play with them.

Reaction Score
Was not aware of Howard's track accomplishments until now. Thanks
Joyner Holmes was also very accomplished in track in HS.

Yes Howard won the triple jump for Westlake HS (Atlanta based) in the 7A state championships 2 years in a row and also place 4th nationally in the 2016 Indoor T&F competition for TAMU.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I hear the comment during the game and immediately though Jeff was wrong and it should be Gabby. Then I though about it. It could be that the announcer did not relay Jeff's full message which could just as easily have been "best Athlete he's seen play".
UCONN has not played Louisville since Gabby arrived. Jeff goes up against Shakayla Thomas and FSU at least twice per year.
Gabby will change Jeff's mind two days before valentine's day.
Coco-correct me if I misheard but in my watching of the game it was the announcer who said Thomas was the best athlete, not Jeff Walz. The had a couple of different segues on it when Shakayla was doing a pretty good job in the second half. I was watching intently as in the first half and in particular the 1Q, Shakayla and FSU looked lost out there. The second half became Thomas and Chatrice White time! I have been down on White a bit since her transfer but in the Lou game she finally showed some spunk and Samrau kept her in the game I think for the most minutes this year. Shakayla reminds me a bit of Nina Davis as an undersized post player but with good athleticism. Of the three being Thomas, Davis and Gabby, Shakayla has the best range on her jump shot. Other than that, Gabby owns both of them on rebounding, steals, quickness, jumping and passing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco-correct me if I misheard but in my watching of the game it was the announcer who said Thomas was the best athlete, not Jeff Walz. The had a couple of different segues on it when Shakayla was doing a pretty good job in the second half. I was watching intently as in the first half and in particular the 1Q, Shakayla and FSU looked lost out there. The second half became Thomas and Chatrice White time! I have been down on White a bit since her transfer but in the Lou game she finally showed some spunk and Samrau kept her in the game I think for the most minutes this year. Shakayla reminds me a bit of Nina Davis as an undersized post player but with good athleticism. Of the three being Thomas, Davis and Gabby, Shakayla has the best range on her jump shot. Other than that, Gabby owns both of them on rebounding, steals, quickness, jumping and passing.
The best athlete discussion came up a couple of times during the broadcast. At least one of the times Jeff's name also came up in the discussions.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And speed from endline to endline.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

1. Gabby Williams
2. Shakayla Thomas
3. Anriel Howard
4. Monique Billings

Great minds!! I was actually going to start a thread on the best athletes in WCBB. You have 4/5 I felt strongly about. My 5th spot however went to Raygiene (Moncrief) Lewis.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think she is a very good athlete. I would not say she is the best. I do however think her fade away jumper will be blocked mercilessly at the next level.
I'm surprised that you think her fade away will be blocked at the next level. That was the only thing that impressed me about her. But you have more experience on that kind of thing than I do so, I won't question your comment.

Reaction Score
Great minds!! I was actually going to start a thread on the best athletes in WCBB. You have 4/5 I felt strongly about. My 5th spot however went to Raygiene (Moncrief) Lewis.

Ahh!! How could I forget about Raygiene? Yes she could certainly fill my 5th spot. So I guess now the freshmen who previously had it could be honorable mention :D

Reaction Score

1. Gabby Williams
2. Shakayla Thomas
3. Anriel Howard
4. Monique Billings

I think Caliya Robinson Georgia and Joyner Holmes Texas could be on the all athletic team to

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I'm not trading Gabby for ANYBODY!
We've seen Gabby take over games before.
If she was on a team that needed her to do that every game, I wonder what kind of stats
we might be looking at. Most times she looks to her teammates.
Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Reaction Score
She's 5'11" and can dunk. True, it is like most 5'11" people dunk - way too much effort and prep to make it a real tool, but she's abviously very athletic. Her FG % is pretty impressive at 52.9% and she shoots foul shots at a less impressive 65.2, she averages over 7 rebounds a game, assists, blocks and steals insignificant. 18.5 points a game. Her contribution on the court doesn't add up to Gabby's, so ....
My take on this announcement is: Jeff is trying to get under Uconn's skin, Some coaches never learn!!
Until I read this--I thought Louisville had a chance--that just disappeared..

Reaction Score
The best athlete discussion came up a couple of times during the broadcast. At least one of the times Jeff's name also came up in the discussions.
Did the FCC allow those words used with Jeff's name??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom