Gabby Williams - question? | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams - question?

Reaction Score
For those of you who know the bits and bytes of UConn basketball, can you answer the question: where was Gabby Williams ranked as a player and what other college basketball programs were recruiting her?

Thank you.

Reaction Score
For those of you who know the bits and bytes of UConn basketball, can you answer the question: where was Gabby Williams ranked as a player and what other college basketball programs were recruiting her?

Thank you.
I’m sure there are posters here that know her life story, but I know a nugget or two.
She was literally an Olympic caliber high jumper in middle school and high school, in addition to a basketball player. You can see a couple of her jumps on YouTube. And I also know about her knee injury in high school. I think Geno took a huge chance with her because she was coming off of that injury. I think that he didn’t know what to expect. Then when she got to UConn they had to find a position for her. She became a 4 and actually contributed as a freshman. I think a tribute to her and also the program. (We always talk about the youngsters not getting a chance to play and this is a bit of the opposite IMO- overcoming everything she had to overcome)
I’m sure you’ll get the full story later.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Thank you.

ESPN ranked her #14, Prospects Nation had her #18, Blue Star had her #6.

According to this USA Today article - she had visited Arizona, Arizona State, and Stanford before choosing UConn basically immediately after visiting UConn.

Reaction Score
Hey, guys, thanks for a quick reply. My wife and I were having a discussion concerning recruits that might be in the middle of the pack who would exceed expectations when given the training and the opportunity to play. Gabby is an excellent example of that. What sets her aside from the pack is, I think, her fierce determination to do the best that she can.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby’s final choice came down to UConn and Stanford. She had planned to keep her Olympic high jump goal alive by competing in both b-ball and track and field at UConn, but soon after arriving at Storrs Gabby decided to focus on b-ball (wise choice). Hopefully, she’ll make the Olympics some day in WBB.

Reaction Score
Hey, guys, thanks for a quick reply. My wife and I were having a discussion concerning recruits that might be in the middle of the pack who would exceed expectations when given the training and the opportunity to play. Gabby is an excellent example of that. What sets her aside from the pack is, I think, her fierce determination to do the best that she can.

She was downgraded due to her serious knee injury. If memory serves, earlier in her high school career, she had been much higher rated.

Reaction Score
As a Top 10/Top 15 recruit, I doubt that many viewed Gabby as "in the middle of the pack." Question was always how if her knee. I do believe there are some in the 25-50 range, particularly point guards, who could add quite a bit to UConn. Leadership and decision making often more important than physical assets such as height and jumping ability.

Reaction Score
She came in as an athletically gifted guard who had suffered a significant knee injury in high school. HCGA's ability to see her potential as a front court players was life-changing for Gabby. She was a tremendous contributor to the program.

Reaction Score
I guess I would be remiss if I did not comment on a thread about my avatar. Geno should be given credit for "developing" Gabby into the player she became. However, the primary ingredient of that development was Gabby's athleticism. There have been precious few women basketball players who possess the level of athleticism that Gabby has. This is why I became Gabbyfan and enjoyed four years watching her do stuff no one else could dream of doing. She is still doing it as a professional and maybe one of the boneyarders can bring up the video of the bounce pass she made last year for the Chicago Sky which was named the play of the year by the team.

Reaction Score
I guess I would be remiss if I did not comment on a thread about my avatar. Geno should be given credit for "developing" Gabby into the player she became. However, the primary ingredient of that development was Gabby's athleticism. There have been precious few women basketball players who possess the level of athleticism that Gabby has. This is why I became Gabbyfan and enjoyed four years watching her do stuff no one else could dream of doing. She is still doing it as a professional and maybe one of the boneyarders can bring up the video of the bounce pass she made last year for the Chicago Sky which was named the play of the year by the team.

One of the best passers I've seen at UConn, very underrated. Big thing missing this year is her playmaking from the high post. Wouldn't mind seeing Williams there some now, with her court vision, short jumper, and quickness to the basket. At least she would touch the ball more than she does now, in a position where she can do some damage. It's painful to see such a talented player disappear so much of the time.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Danger had a shorter, but still noteworthy, fast-break pass against Houston.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She is still doing it as a professional and maybe one of the boneyarders can bring up the video of the bounce pass she made last year for the Chicago Sky which was named the play of the year by the team.

Here's an embedded link (for those too lazy to click through ;))

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom