Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
1D451127-DB85-4E33-91B3-A8378235A5F5.jpeg

Congratulations to Gabby!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So for UConn women's basketball we are up to 12, plus Niels Giffey for Germany and Gavin Edwards for Japan, so 14 UConn basketball Olympians. Impressive.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What an honor for Gabby. So bummed for Bria - the Olympics is really a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can't imagine what it must be like to represent your country - from the opening ceremonies to experiencing everything you can to competing to the closing ceremonies. Also I had no idea about Niels or Gavin. That's incredible for them!!

Side note - my plan is to stay in Los Angeles till the 2028 Olympics (then retire back down to San Diego). Obviously I am too old to compete (was never good enough at anything to make any kind of team anyway!!!), but how many times in our lives to we get to actually live in a city that hosts the Olympics?

Los Angeles in 1984, Atlanta in 1986, and next up LA in 2028. I wasn't in either of those earlier cities, but I sure hope to be here for 2028!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Felicitations! Je suis heureux pour lui. Es-qu'elle pouvais parler la francais? Je n'avais pas parler la francais pendent les derniers vignt annees.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Felicitations! Je suis heureux pour lui. Es-qu'elle pouvais parler la francais? Je n'avais pas parler la francais pendent les derniers vignt annees.
Je n’ai pas non plus parlé Français depuis un moment. Je crois que Gabby parle un peu Français. Certainement plus que moi !

Reaction Score
France is back at it with exhibition games.

Gabby had 6 points and 5 steals in 21 minutes in a loss to Spain:
Final-españa-francia_femenina.pdf (feb.es)

Spain has Torrens and Abalde back and a lot to play for so they are going to be motivated. Their young post player, WNBA draft pick Raquel Carrera had an interesting line with 9 points, 7 rebounds, and 8 steals as she holds down the fort until Astou Ndour returns.

Reaction Score
Je n’ai pas non plus parlé Français depuis un moment. Je crois que Gabby parle un peu Français. Certainement plus que moi !
How does this happen? I mean, I look forward to watching her play. ( J'aime Les Bleus.) But is Sparks, Nevada in the Loire Valley? Is one of her parents French? Did she play pro ball in France for a while?

Reaction Score
Gabby had 17 points and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes as France hosted Spain this time and won 80-75:
FIBA LiveStats (geniussports.com)

WNBA draft pick Marine Fauthoux was named to the spot vacated by injury and there was some criticism of the decision, but she played well today.

How does this happen? I mean, I look forward to watching her play. ( J'aime Les Bleus.) But is Sparks, Nevada in the Loire Valley? Is one of her parents French? Did she play pro ball in France for a while?
Her mother is French. She has had the chance to hang out with her extended family there in between camps and stuff.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby had 17 points and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes as France hosted Spain this time and won 80-75:

WNBA draft pick Marine Fauthoux was named to the spot vacated by injury and there was some criticism of the decision, but she played well today.

Her mother is French. She has had the chance to hang out with her extended family there in between camps and stuff.
3-3 from 3pt. Best efficiency number, Getting right at the right time.

Reaction Score

Thank you. That is cool.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Okay, I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but ...
I have mixed emotions about someone who enjoys all the opportunity and benefits of being an American and living in the US playing to beat their own country in the Olympics. It's the same for the Ogwumike sisters. I understand everyone is different, but how could you try to beat your own country? The country that gave you and your family opportunity you could not get elsewhere? As an American, who lives a damn good life because you are an American, how could you feel good if you beat your own country? Plus, isn't part of the thrill of winning Gold, or any medal, to stand on that podium and know that you delivered for your country. If France or Nigeria were to win Gold, would Gabby or the O sisters feel good being a part of the team that took down the US? You're an American and you didn't make the team. So you root for your fellow countrymen or women. If you choose to comment on my post, please don't make it political. This is not about politics. This just doesn't sit well with me.

Reaction Score
I have mixed emotions about someone who enjoys all the opportunity and benefits of being an American and living in the US playing to beat their own country in the Olympics. It's the same for the Ogwumike sisters. I understand everyone is different, but how could you try to beat your own country? The country that gave you and your family opportunity you could not get elsewhere? As an American, who lives a damn good life because you are an American, how could you feel good if you beat your own country? Plus, isn't part of the thrill of winning Gold, or any medal, to stand on that podium and know that you delivered for your country. If France or Nigeria were to win Gold, would Gabby or the O sisters feel good being a part of the team that took down the US? You're an American and you didn't make the team. So you root for your fellow countrymen or women. If you choose to comment on my post, please don't make it political. This is not about politics. This just doesn't sit well with me.
I don't know how old you are, but the "opportunities and benefits" you speak of aren't the same as they used to be. In fact, many opportunities are better elsewhere. A lot of people don't have the same pride as you do either, myself included. The Olympics are about bringing the best athletes in the world together and the US is lucky to have more than our share, so why not play for another country where you spend or have spent a great deal of time in the offseason?

Reaction Score
The Olympics are people's dreams come true, some people dream differently. I think it is more on FIBA to regulate it, Gabbie is just following a dream, unless she is doing it for money.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
The Olympics are people's dreams come true, some people dream differently. I think it is more on FIBA to regulate it, Gabbie is just following a dream, unless she is doing it for money.
I wan't saying I think there is anything technically wrong with it. If you have an Olympic dream and you can't play for your country, I certainly think you should be able to play for another country where you can legitimately claim citizenship. It just bothers me. I also wonder whether the O sisters are looking to make a point because they thought they should have made the US team. Ok, I am done.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I won't get into the opportunities issue as much as I think it warrants further discussion, perhaps not here.

Gabby's mother was born in France, the O sisters were all born in Nigeria.

That makes all the above eligible for passports and dual citizenship for which our country has no objection.

Fairview, I fear that your post slides us into the political arena that we are all trying hard to avoid.

I understand, even sympathize with your sentiments w/o agreeing but let us not go there. MI

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Gabby is a dual citizen so are the Ogwumike sisters and it legal for them to represent either Country. My son was a dual citizen until he had to declare if he was going to be a U.S. or German citizen at age 18. Both Countries in 2001 when he turned 18 had the rule due to required Military service in Germany and draft registration in the U.S., I do not know if it's still required, but it wasn't required for the Women to declare in 2001.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom