Gabby Williams focused on 'getting through the wall' | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams focused on 'getting through the wall'

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams diary: 'Getting through the wall'

One of my friends in the NBA said, "I know you're hitting the wall right now." He told me after two months I was going to wish I had a 9-to-5 job. And one day I was laying in my bed thinking I don't know if I could do this for a living. But he said I'll get past it and never look back -- just get through that wall.

At the same time, I'm looking at my overseas deals, my FIBA stuff. This is really never going to end. Not only are we trying to play 40 games in three months, but I possibly have a nine-month season when this ends. Even when we had stacked games at UConn, the starters were out by the end of the third quarter. I'm dead after every game and want to go back to my bed and sleep for 12 hours.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well, there are other ways to make a living.Head bang

Yeah, like eating breathing all the coal dust you can while lying on your side digging out a 2' high seam. I was worried about Gabby's mental approach in the WNBA because of the confidence issues she had at UCONN. I didn't like reading this:

"Coach Amber Stocks has been on me when I need to be running harder, or rebound, or go after everything. Sometimes I'll think, "Someone else can get that" or "I don't need to run hard in transition." She said, "You are faster than all these forwards, you can get all these rebounds -- that's the piece you need to bring to this team." She's not after me to do anything I don't already know how to do. She's holding me accountable all the time. She doesn't want me to settle."

I don't believe Kia will ever express such feelings. I hope Gabby gets through this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Gabby has enormous depth and has broad potential way beyond sports, if that's her wish. I could see her in law school, broadcasting, or whatever she decides holds the most for her down the road. I don't think her life will be measured solely in terms of her accomplishments on the court. She's just too special.

Reaction Score
I have never been able to feel sympathy for a person who has reached the goal of professional play saying anything about how hard it is. UConner or not. Get on with it.

I feel deep appreciation for anyone who is able to call hard work what it is - hard.

Especially a player from one of the more demanding college systems in the country. People - especially young people with big hoop dreams - need to hear how hard the W is.

I don't think she's seeking pity - but sympathy, why not? It's comforting and calming to know you're not alone when pushing through something tough. I think she's really just being candid about her experiences so far. It'd be great if more pros would talk about this type of exhaustion. I'm sure a lot of them feel it!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I have never been able to feel sympathy for a person who has reached the goal of professional play saying anything about how hard it is. UConner or not. Get on with it.

It’s labelled a “diary” and she’s basically being asked to share her thoughts of what it’s like this summer in the “W” as she makes her way. To me , that context makes a difference. YMMV

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Interesting read. I hope Gabby enlightens us with her thoughts the rest of the season. I find it interesting to view the game and the behind the scenes goings on from a player's point of view. Their mental approach, and their thoughts and feelings when things go right, and when they don't. All of this is new to Gabby. It's nice of her to kinda take us along for the ride.

Reaction Score
I'm the opposite. I can't stand listening to people who accomplish nothing saying how hard things are. Gabby has worked her butt off to get where she is. Hell yeah it's hard. Getting rewards for what you do doesn't make the work you put in any easier. I'm willing to listen to a little venting from someone who has earned it.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is apples & oranges compared to the NBA. Its one thing to do go through the grind in the NBA knowing you're set for life even if you're just a bench player for a few years. Do we know how much Gabby is making - I'm assuming this is public knowledge?? My guess is you can make more on Wall Street today than playing in the WNBA. I'm assuming that the "stars" make this up with endorsements or playing overseas. But, that seems like a tough life unless you love the lifestyle. Hope she's happy. In the long run, $$ is not correlated with happiness.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is apples & oranges compared to the NBA. Its one thing to do go through the grind in the NBA knowing you're set for life even if you're just a bench player for a few years. Do we know how much Gabby is making - I'm assuming this is public knowledge?? My guess is you can make more on Wall Street today than playing in the WNBA. I'm assuming that the "stars" make this up with endorsements or playing overseas. But, that seems like a tough life unless you love the lifestyle. Hope she's happy. In the long run, $$ is not correlated with happiness.

From what I know, I’m almost certain WNBA players get paid more to play overseas then playing in the WNBA , that’s why most of them play overseas once the season ends. I know there’s some like Skylar Diggins-Smith who doesn’t go overseas to play, because she has a lot of endorsement, so she doesn’t really need to go play overseas. I think the star players of the WNBA get paid less then some third stringers in the nba

Reaction Score
From what I know, I’m almost certain WNBA players get paid more to play overseas then playing in the WNBA , that’s why most of them play overseas once the season ends. I know there’s some like Skylar Diggins-Smith who doesn’t go overseas to play, because she has a lot of endorsement, so she doesn’t really need to go play overseas. I think the star players of the WNBA get paid less then some third stringers in the nba
This year's NBA minimum rookie salary is $562,493, which is ~5X the WNBA's maximum salary. Is this fair? It's based on how many fans watch in person & on TV, buy the gear etc.

NBA Minimum Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

Reaction Score
This year's NBA minimum rookie salary is $562,493, which is ~5X the WNBA's maximum salary. Is this fair? It's based on how many fans watch in person & on TV, buy the gear etc.

NBA Minimum Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

Basically, and the fact WNBA only plays half a season whereas the nba plays 82 games, plus they have more teams. I read that the highest paid rookie is A’ja at $52,564 It also said the rest of the rookies will earn a starting salary of about $42,202, so I’m assuming thats about what gabby, Kia, and Azusa are making.

Reaction Score
Basically, and the fact WNBA only plays half a season whereas the nba plays 82 games, plus they have more teams. I read that the highest paid rookie is A’ja at $52,564 It also said the rest of the rookies will earn a starting salary of about $42,202, so I’m assuming thats about what gabby, Kia, and Azusa are making.

Jlong231- - - Yes the top rookie salary is around $40,000 to $50,000 and DT, Sue Bird, Maya More, Sylvia Fowles, Candace Parker etal make around $115,000 so 95% of the WNBA go overseas to Europe & Asia and most earn $250,000 to $500,000 and above mentioned stars are close to $1 Million! When Sue and DT both played together in Russia they made close to a million $ plus the best apartment, a chef, a valet, the use of the owner's (who was shot to death by the Russian Mafia) plane any open time they wanted to come home or whatever!
Tina Thompson near the end of her career said if she had to choose either the WNBA or Overseas she'd have to choose Overseas as that's her nest egg for the future! She said there's better players in the WNBA but that wouldn't make up for the huge cash she gets over there!

Reaction Score
I love when athletes who were HUGE successes in college go on to the pros and learn how different the higher level really is! And are honest enough to talk about that their not meeting the level of play they did in College, it's more aggressive, more games closer together, everyone in the league is really good to make the 12 player limit of each team!
So Gabby is finding out (to her credit) that what effort it took to be a star at UCONN isn't cutting it in the WNBA and she's got to be aware to BRING IT every minute of every game or she'll be eaten up by the older pros!
She'll be fine as her brain & body get used to schedules and competition in the WNBA!
She's a WINNER as a person & a player!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This didn't really deserve it's own thread so I'll stick it here. I wonder if Gabby's agent had a word with her. "That's your twitter handle, seriously?"

Nailed it.
upload_2018-6-19_12-32-53.png

Gabby Williams diary: Past weeks 'have been complete struggle'

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On Gabby, her WNBA Diary is expanding our knowledge of her. One thing not new - carrying around the last game. A thing she fought or didn't at UConn continues by her own admission. On tatoos - impulsive. She may soon be the Illustrated Woman at the rate she's going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom