Gabby Through Eight Comparison | The Boneyard

Gabby Through Eight Comparison

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
So it is snowing, and not much planned today anyhow. So why not see how Gabby`s stats last year through eight games compare to the current season? Last year`s ND game is included, it was game 8. UConn had a tough early schedule last season, roughly similar to this season.

Minutes: 26.8 per game this year versus 28.5 last year, a slight decrease. Only played 17 this year versus ND, that is sufficient explanation.

FG: 38-68 this year, 38-75 last year. Similar.

FT 10-15 this year, 14-20 last year. Comparable.

Rebounds: 17/42/59, average 7.4 last year; 12/54/66, average 8.3 this year. Comparable, slight edge overall this year.

Fouls: 17 last year, 16 this year.

Assists: 38 last year, 31 this year. Slight edge last year, about one per game.

Turnovers: 22 last year, 33 this year. Big differential this year, more than one per game. Worth noting that she turned it over 7 times against DePaul this season, but turned it over 6 times against them last season. Also had a 5 turnover game against LSU last season (one of the eight counted), so she is prone to bad games in that regard. She had a whopping 10 turnovers against Maryland this year, but in that game she also had 15 points, 11 rebounds and 5 steals.

Blocks: 7 last year, 3 this year.

Steals: 19 last year, 20 this year.

Points: 91 last year, average 11.4; 86 this year, average 10.8. Close. (She ended up averaging 14.3 ppg last season.)

So, make of these what you will, numbers are never the whole story. However, I find them somewhat reassuring. Despite migrane issues, adjusting to a somewhat different role at times, and a couple of very high turnover games this season, her numbers (other than the turnovers) are fairly comparable to last season at this point.

Let`s just hope the migranes stop.

Reaction Score
As with a similar stat-related post on the team as a whole, I feel reassured. Somehow, bad things are al;ways worse when they are happening in the now, and the past never quite looks as bad as it really was.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So it is snowing, and not much planned today anyhow. So why not see how Gabby`s stats last year through eight games compare to the current season? Last year`s ND game is included, it was game 8. UConn had a tough early schedule last season, roughly similar to this season.

Minutes: 26.8 per game this year versus 28.5 last year, a slight decrease. Only played 17 this year versus ND, that is sufficient explanation.

FG: 38-68 this year, 38-75 last year. Similar.

FT 10-15 this year, 14-20 last year. Comparable.

Rebounds: 17/42/59, average 7.4 last year; 12/54/66, average 8.3 this year. Comparable, slight edge overall this year.

Fouls: 17 last year, 16 this year.

Assists: 38 last year, 31 this year. Slight edge last year, about one per game.

Turnovers: 22 last year, 33 this year. Big differential this year, more than one per game. Worth noting that she turned it over 7 times against DePaul this season, but turned it over 6 times against them last season. Also had a 5 turnover game against LSU last season (one of the eight counted), so she is prone to bad games in that regard. She had a whopping 10 turnovers against Maryland this year, but in that game she also had 15 points, 11 rebounds and 5 steals.

Blocks: 7 last year, 3 this year.

Steals: 19 last year, 20 this year.

Points: 91 last year, average 11.4; 86 this year, average 10.8. Close. (She ended up averaging 14.3 ppg last season.)

So, make of these what you will, numbers are never the whole story. However, I find them somewhat reassuring. Despite migrane issues, adjusting to a somewhat different role at times, and a couple of very high turnover games this season, her numbers (other than the turnovers) are fairly comparable to last season at this point.

Let`s just hope the migranes stop.
Thanks! My take is that the stats aren't all that different. Plus, this year's schedule has been a little harder, I believe. I think most players will pad their stats against our AAC foes. I look for Gabby's A/TO ratio to improve considerably.

Reaction Score
Isn’t she playing less minutes? So she may be doing more in less time?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Isn’t she playing less minutes? So she may be doing more in less time?

Actually, only about 14 minutes total, or about what she would have played in the second half of ND if healthy.

But agreed, with those extra minutes she would likely have had a few more points, rebounds, assists, etc.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this at the end of last season. Gabby's minutes will be the most affected by AS getting playing time.
KLS is the featured option in the offense so her minutes will not be impacted. NC will probably see a little less PT as well.

Reaction Score
Gabby's turnover dilemma first has to be seen in context. Geno's new addition (somewhat) to this years play is--play faster than anyone. Faster than last year? Moving faster, seeing plays unfold faster, deciding faster, and others moving faster (mostly Kia) really strains the "consistency" model.
I see Gabby like I see Serena Williams tennis game. Serena can control the game much of the time (like Gabby can) and Serena hits lots of winners (like GAbby's eye opening assists.) However, Serena hits lots of unforced errors ( going for her shots) just as Gabby has turn-overs. Serena wins most of the time--so does Gabby. With more time to adjust and a tweak here or there---GAbby will have more assists and less turn-overs when it matters in the BIG GAMES--JUST LIKE SERENA.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this at the end of last season. Gabby's minutes will be the most affected by AS getting playing time.
KLS is the featured option in the offense so her minutes will not be impacted. NC will probably see a little less PT as well.

But that hasn't been the case.

Reaction Score
Thanks! My take is that the stats aren't all that different. Plus, this year's schedule has been a little harder, I believe. I think most players will pad their stats against our AAC foes. I look for Gabby's A/TO ratio to improve considerably.

Last year Gabby was an All American, and this year so far her stats aren't all that different, hmmmm.

Reaction Score
What about personal fouls? Last year Gabby was foul prone early in the season. Has she improved this year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
What about personal fouls? Last year Gabby was foul prone early in the season. Has she improved this year?

Totals are about the same, 17 last year, 16 this year.

Stats can be misleading, though. You are right, she was foul prone early last year - 4 against Fla State in game one (23 minutes) and 4 against LSU in game three (22 minutes). Though she only had two against Baylor in game two, they came in the first four or five minutes of the game, so she sat early and was limited to 25 minutes. Thank you, Natalie Butler.

On the other hand, this year she has five games with zero or one foul, and three games - UCLA, Mich State, and Nevada, games four through six - with four fouls each. Since she played 30, 28, and 34 minutes in those games, the fouls don`t appear to have affected her playing time this season all that much.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wasn't it Gabby who was in the "Chateau de bow-wow" last year, maybe early in league play? (I still laugh at Kara's characterization.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom