Gabby The Traffic Cop | The Boneyard

Gabby The Traffic Cop

Reaction Score
I am sure most have noticed how Gabby is frequently pointing to opposing players while on defense, appearing to direct teammates to cover that player while she moves in a different direction. She also does this when a less experienced player is in the line up on offense as well, telling a teammate where to be on a particular set or play call. Gabby apparently assumes the responsibility of overseeing the respective defensive and offensive positioning as the play develops. I wonder if this is something that Geno encourages and trusts Gabby to do this or this is Gabby's perfectionist nature . It is hard enough in Geno's system to just know where you have to be let alone be aware of where everyone else is and guide teammates to assure the defense or offensive play go as planned

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's trust or being the leader of the team.

My daughter has taken that responsibilty on this year. At the end of last year, her coach told her the team follows her lead. When she puts her head down they do. The team is a young one (no seniors). They seem to follow her lead. I would think the same holds true for the UCONN women.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is one of the more important things that the coaching staff teaches all of the players - be vocal on the court - and one of the complaints that is made by said coaches about players during their first couple of years.
On defense specifically it is usually the 'center' defender who is most important as they can see the screens and cuts developing better than those who are further to the wings or out top, but everyone needs to be communicating constantly.

On offense it is usually the guards or those playing out top who are directing the traffic but again everyone needs to be communicating.

I love watching how Uconn defends, and it is unique because most of the time they switch every screen and offensive players are completely unprepared for it. The switch off between defenders means that the usual openings they are expending do not exist and their offense becomes disjointed. It is one reason why ND has had the success they have had and continue to be one of our toughest match ups - the ND coaches know what to expect and the players have seen it every year (and often multiple times each year.)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gabby and Kia are the heart and soul of the team. They are doing their jobs on the court. Sitting courtside at the USF game, the chatter by UConn on both sides of the ball was amazing. They do understand how Geno's offense and defense is supposed to go.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the things that Geno harps on constantly in practice is “communication.” He expects his players to continuously be talking to each other on the court: calling out screens and switches on defense, calling for the ball when they’re open on offense and so on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am sure most have noticed how Gabby is frequently pointing to opposing players while on defense, appearing to direct teammates to cover that player while she moves in a different direction. She also does this when a less experienced player is in the line up on offense as well, telling a teammate where to be on a particular set or play call. Gabby apparently assumes the responsibility of overseeing the respective defensive and offensive positioning as the play develops. I wonder if this is something that Geno encourages and trusts Gabby to do this or this is Gabby's perfectionist nature . It is hard enough in Geno's system to just know where you have to be let alone be aware of where everyone else is and guide teammates to assure the defense or offensive play go as planned

I'm glad you shared this observation. Many posters are dismayed over their favorite freshman not getting what they feel is "ample" playing time. I'm on record as not expecting anything from freshmen that come to UConn that first year because Geno doesn't. I'm following his lead. He has said so many many times, they just don't (can't) get it right away. There are a number of things (how to keep their man in from of them, learn the offensive plays, learn how to read and react, how to switch and rotate on defense, how to cut off of screens, cut off the baseline on defense, how to set picks, then roll, how and why YOU MUST keep your hands UP on defense when guarding your man, etc.) a player must master and understand BEFORE Geno will trust them enough to insert then into a game with meaningful minutes while a game is still undecided.

All of these things must be able to be performed quickly and at a high rate of speed. It's natural for fans and boosters to become fans of a certain freshman, and want to see them get a lot of playing time their first year. I get all of that. Players that are slow afoot, slow to react, constantly out of position, lack quickness or cannot /will not shoot and score with any degree of success, and have a propensity to turn the ball over, will be limited to playing during garbage time.

Any long time fan or follower of the program knows Geno's policies and preferences. Until a freshman (or transfer) has a command of the things Geno demands from his starters, reserves and freshmen won't get many minutes. You've mentioned two of the dynamics that must be mastered before a new player can expect to get extended minutes in any game. Especially a preseason game against a team ranked in the top 10. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. We've heard that before.

All 5 of the members of the current starting unit play together as a single unit that is well oiled, and know exactly what each member is supposed to do, and will do.
An example of this dynamic is on display when Lou goes off the floor. The rhythm and flow changes. The unit still functions, but not the same as when Lou is on the floor. The 5 players that are on the floor at any given time are expected to do certain things on offense and defense. When they do, they can hold a team that consistently scores 90+ ppg to less than 50.

All 5 have to know what the goal is at any given time during a game, and what and where they are suppose to be. On several occasions, Ive seen Crystal redirect Megan to a different spot or area of the floor before she began to run a play. There are so many things that new players must learn, for most, it takes a full year, some a little less. I expect to see Megan blossom to full bloom next season as Crystal did this year. I also expect to see Megan be promoted into one of the two vacant starting positions next year.

Another dynamic that is taken for granted is the speed at which UConn plays. A poster that attended the game Saturday made that observation. He commented on his amazement of how fast UConn gets up and down the floor. He also commented on how that does not come across on TV. In time, incoming freshmen do adapt to the increased speed of the game beyond that of high school. A team is only as fast as its slowest player. A team can best run "fast breaks" when all 5 of its players on the floor can run. If their post player is a plodder, then it's 4 on 5, and they're at a slight disadvantage.

Too many UConn players have said (admitted) publicly that they were not ready to play during their freshman year. Gabby admitted that she was not ready to play in the Stanford game in 2014 (her freshman year) that UConn lost. Once they make that sophomore leap (as Crystal did this summer), they gain Geno's trust, and become part of the rotation. Geno and his staff see the light go on, and know when a player is ready. Players prove they're ready in practice, not in games. They prove it in practice, and confirm it in games!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Yes Gabby does that and so does every member of the team including Molly Bend and Megan Walker---it has a name___Good Basketball Defense!! Most coach, of any repute, demand vocal defense with words like SWITCH being use as appropriate. Geno's Help defense relies on this.

Reaction Score
I glad you shared this observation. Many posters are dismayed over their favorite freshman not getting what they feel is "ample" playing time. I'm on record as not expecting anything from freshmen that come to UConn that first year because Geno doesn't. I'm following his lead. He has said so many many times, they just don't (can't) get it right away. There are a number of things (how to keep their man in from of them, learn the offensive plays, learn how to read and react, how to switch and rotate on defense, how to cut off of screens, cut off the baseline on defense, how to set picks, then roll, how and why YOU MUST keep your hands UP on defense when guarding your man, etc.) a player must master and understand BEFORE Geno will trust them enough to insert then into a game with meaningful minutes while a game is still undecided.

All of these things must be able to be performed quickly and at a high rate of speed. It's natural for fans and boosters to become fans of a certain freshman, and want to see them get a lot of playing time their first year. I get all of that. Players that are slow afoot, slow to react, constantly out of position, lack quickness or cannot /will not shoot and score with any degree of success, and have a propensity to turn the ball over, will be limited to playing during garbage time.

Any long time fan or follower of the program knows Geno's policies and preferences. Until a freshman (or transfer) has a command of the things Geno demands from his starters, reserves and freshmen won't get many minutes. You've mentioned two of the dynamics that must be mastered before a new player can expect to get extended minutes in any game. Especially a preseason game against a team ranked in the top 10. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. We've heard that before.

All 5 of the members of the current starting unit play together as a single unit that is well oiled, and know exactly what each member is supposed to do, and will do.
An example of this dynamic is on display when Lou goes off the floor. The rhythm and flow changes. The unit still functions, but not the same as when Lou is on the floor. The 5 players that are on the floor at any given time are expected to do certain things on offense and defense. When they do, they can hold a team that consistently scores 90+ ppg to less than 50.

All 5 have to know what the goal is at any given time during a game, and what and where they are suppose to be. On several occasions, Ive seen Crystal redirect Megan to a different spot or area of the floor before she began to run a play. There are so many things that new players must learn, for most, it takes a full year, some a little less. I expect to see Megan blossom to full bloom next season as Crystal did this year. I also expect to see Megan be promoted into one of the two vacant starting positions next year.

Another dynamic that is taken for granted is the speed at which UConn plays. A poster that attended the game Saturday made that observation. He commented on his amazement of how fast UConn gets up and down the floor. He also commented on how that does not come across on TV. In time, incoming freshmen do adapt to the increased speed of the game beyond that of high school. A team is only as fast as its slowest player. A team can best run "fast breaks" when all 5 of its players on the floor can run. If their post player is a plodder, then it's 4 on 5, and they're at a slight disadvantage.

Too many UConn players have said (admitted) publicly that they were not ready to play during their freshman year. Gabby admitted that she was not ready to play in the Stanford game in 2014 (her freshman year) that UConn lost. Once they make that sophomore leap (as Crystal did this summer), they gain Geno's trust, and become part of the rotation. Geno and his staff see the light go on, and know when a player is ready. Players prove they're ready in practice, not in games. They prove it in practice, and confirm it in games!!

Perfect analysis! Outside of Maya perhaps, it just takes time. Look at the difference between Molly and particularly Kyla from last year. Or Saniya during her career. Again, great post!

Reaction Score
I glad you shared this observation. Many posters are dismayed over their favorite freshman not getting what they feel is "ample" playing time. I'm on record as not expecting anything from freshmen that come to UConn that first year because Geno doesn't. I'm following his lead. He has said so many many times, they just don't (can't) get it right away. There are a number of things (how to keep their man in from of them, learn the offensive plays, learn how to read and react, how to switch and rotate on defense, how to cut off of screens, cut off the baseline on defense, how to set picks, then roll, how and why YOU MUST keep your hands UP on defense when guarding your man, etc.) a player must master and understand BEFORE Geno will trust them enough to insert then into a game with meaningful minutes while a game is still undecided.

If I can add just one thing to your insightful post......the UCONN' system is obviously complicated and it takes a while to both learn it and understand it. That's one of the reasons why freshmen can look both lost and tentative. Typically freshmen spend a good deal of their court time thinking about where they are supposed to be. Once they learn the system the thinking part becomes natural and the reacting part takes over. IMO, thats when we see their true skill level emerge. Those with high BB IQ's learn it quickly and become contributors sooner. The entire starting 5 are perfect examples.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I don't know about you guys but if Gabby pointed at me and told me to move I'd move first and ask "How far?" on the way. :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I can add just one thing to your insightful post.the UCONN' system is obviously complicated and it takes a while to both learn it and understand it. That's one of the reasons why freshmen can look both lost and tentative. Typically freshmen spend a good deal of their court time thinking about where they are supposed to be. Once they learn the system the thinking part becomes natural and the reacting part takes over. IMO, thats when we see their true skill level emerge. Those with high BB IQ's learn it quickly and become contributors sooner. The entire starting 5 are perfect examples.

Exactly!!!! Once they "get it", that deer in the headlights look goes away. That's the difference in Crystal's play last year, and this year. It's a look that's not hard to see or recognize. It was easy to see in Moriah Jefferson's face her freshman year too. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Reaction Score
There's no one player that can do what Lou can do. First, Lou is a mismatch. As the "small forward" she's at least 3" taller than the person guarding her. She can shoot the 3, drive to the basket, pull up for a two, pass incredibly well, and she is the designated inbounder. It's not easy finding someone who can do all that as well as she does. Also, her D and rebounding have improved immensely. She's not indispensable, but the offense does run a bit more smoothly when she's on the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the things that Geno harps on constantly in practice is “communication.” He expects his players to continuously be talking to each other on the court: calling out screens and switches on defense, calling for the ball when they’re open on offense and so on.

I recall a snippet of Geno talking in practice pre-season I believe: The next time a few of you say something on the court will be the first!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom