Gabby or Napheesa: Who has the better stride? | The Boneyard

Gabby or Napheesa: Who has the better stride?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
OK, I'm a nerd. While I love watching them play basketball, I also get a kick out of merely watching these two young women run up and down the court.

Who has the more pleasing stride? Gabby has this wonderful, effortless, playful prance. Reminds me of a foal in the meadow.

But Napheesa can eat up the real estate! Such a long, graceful, effective stride. And when she gears up she can really move. Ever notice how after a basket she just turns and goes and is halfway down the court before the opposition knows what's hit them? Impressive.

(Yes, I know both were track stars in HS.)

Tough call for me.. I guess I'll go with Napheesa. Such a marvelous athlete. She's always making great strides.

By the way, Lou has an interesting stride. She, too, has the big loping stride that covers ground in bunches. She can get it going in the open court. And those kneepads make the look.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
OK, I'm a nerd. While I love watching them play basketball, I also get a kick out of merely watching these two young women run up and down the court.

One reason why it's basketball ballet. Beautiful and graceful.

Reaction Score
I love all those 3 plus Kia and Saniya.
Give me five or none .....UConn is a team not individual one
I can see your point. Nobody last year was comparing Stewie against Morgan and Moriah. There was one transcendent player, and the other two were admired for the unique contributions they made. I suppose that Lou, Pheesa and Gabby are more similar in function, so it creates loyalties in fans and invites comparisons.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Who has the more pleasing stride? Gabby has this wonderful, effortless, playful prance. Reminds me of a foal in the meadow.

But Napheesa can eat up the real estate! Such a long, graceful, effective stride. And when she gears up she can really move. Ever notice how after a basket she just turns and goes and is halfway down the court before the opposition knows what's hit them? Impressive.

Tough call for me.. I guess I'll go with Napheesa. Such a marvelous athlete. She's always making great strides.

By the way, Lou has an interesting stride. She, too, has the big loping stride that covers ground in bunches. She can get it going in the open court. And those kneepads make the look.
Well, if you're a nerd, I'm a nerd plus. Pheesa looks more graceful, but Gabby and her speed look far more athletic. Let's not forget however. Lou seems far faster than when she first came to UConn, and those strides are long.

Reaction Score
We have some incredibly fast runners on this team, especially when they incline their heads and turn on the afterburners. Kia and Saniya are both speedsters when they are closing on a loose ball that they really desire. Gabby is a natural toe walker, which is very common place in 40 to 200 yard sprinters. It gives them a springy gait, and usually a high jump. Pheesa and Lou both run like quarter milers, with an easy, effortless stride that eats up distance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We have some incredibly fast runners on this team, especially when they incline their heads and turn on the afterburners. Kia and Saniya are both speedsters when they are closing on a loose ball that they really desire. Gabby is a natural toe walker, which is very common place in 40 to 200 yard sprinters. It gives them a springy gait, and usually a high jump. Pheesa and Lou both run like quarter milers, with an easy, effortless stride that eats up distance.
I believe her stride (springy on her toes) comes from her high jump approach.

Reaction Score

You do realize, you are watching basketball, not burlesque, or ballet. Yes, they are great athletes, but, your wording seems......................

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

While Gabby and Pheesa have very nice strides, (Gabby's more compact and powerful, Phessa more elegant and effortless), I would like to say that Stewie's stride was my all time favorite and will not likely to be surpassed. Such long and elegant strides and her long power ponytail flopping for effect. Every time I saw it, it reminded me of the beauty of wild horses on the range.

Reaction Score
they both have great acceleration...Gabby dribbling right handed across the lane then leaping and leaning back toward the basket for a banked layup is a thing of beauty and unstoppable....Pheesa when she is off the ball at the top of the 3 point line and takes two long steps into the open lane and someone always seems to find her for the easy layup

Reaction Score
Gabby bounces down the court no doubt because of her high jump training. I'm waiting for the day she jumps to the top of the XL Center or Gampel Pavilion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You do realize, you are watching basketball, not burlesque, or ballet. Yes, they are great athletes, but, your wording seems.......
Burlesque??? I'm not sure which words in the post brought that thought to your mind. Suspect you were determined to go there anyway, even before reading this post.

Reaction Score
Gabby runs the proper way, on her toes without the heel hitting the floor which comes from strong calf muscles. Everyone remembers the play when stewie runs the length of the court to block a shot? KLS made the same play in the usf game i think, but she was a half step away from getting the block.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The most efficient stride on the court is Saniya's. The most powerful is Gabby's. The best combination of both is Kia's. The most elegant, slippery, fast footwork on the court is Napheesa's. Then there is Lou, cursed with height, who is increasing finding a sneaky fast way of moving. And if she isn't moving, then the scoreboard just jumped 3....

Reaction Score
I love all those 3 plus Kia and Saniya.
Give me five or none .....UConn is a team not individual one
Kaz---I think you may misunderstand what is being compared. Gabby's running style to Napheesa--not whether one is better or worse--. I compare Gabby's running style with Swin Cash--I loved to watch Swin run up the floor--almost poetry in motion. I feel the same way about Gabby--.
But like you I have 10 favorite players---(excluding Azura and Batouly) (if I spelled both of them right--it would be amazing)
That's why my Avatar is the whole team (including the 2 above who don't play)---\
Hope I didn't step on any toes here.

Reaction Score
The most efficient stride on the court is Saniya's. The most powerful is Gabby's. The best combination of both is Kia's. The most elegant, slippery, fast footwork on the court is Napheesa's. Then there is Lou, cursed with height, who is increasing finding a sneaky fast way of moving. And if she isn't moving, then the scoreboard just jumped 3....

And if she isn't moving--then the scoreboard just jumped 3---sneaky way of praising here. My personal comparison is Gabby to Swin Cash--she was the great thing to watch run--. I liked the 'sneaky" way you worked almost everyone into the posting--kudo's. Speaking of running--Natalie Butler, while she has no interesting style of running, runs really well for her size --currently or presently she is running well with a rare slow start (being tackled, untangling herself from opponent body parts) hard to run that way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And if she isn't moving--then the scoreboard just jumped 3---sneaky way of praising here. My personal comparison is Gabby to Swin Cash--she was the great thing to watch run--. I liked the 'sneaky" way you worked almost everyone into the posting--kudo's. Speaking of running--Natalie Butler, while she has no interesting style of running, runs really well for her size --currently or presently she is running well with a rare slow start (being tackled, untangling herself from opponent body parts) hard to run that way.

The Natalie thing has me LOL but it is too true.

Reaction Score
Pheesa is Fred Astaire - Gabby is Gene Kelly. Both were wonderful dancers - I preferred Astaires style
I just rewatched "That's Entertainment" and it had long stretches of the best of Astaire and Kelly. They only made one movie together! Such incredible talents. I preferred Astaire's grace and style but I prefer watching Gabby's eye-popping athleticism. She is in another league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom