Gabby is the National DPOY? | The Boneyard

Gabby is the National DPOY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been a mix of players that have won National DPOY. More often than not, the award has gone to shot-blocking, post players like Sylvia Fowles, Britney Griner (3), Steph Dolson & Elizabeth Williams. Last year it went to a lightning quick point guard who terrified opposing teams by picking their pockets and turning steals into a fast break layups at the other end of the court. We all know who that was.

While there are many fine defensive players around the country, I have to believe that Gabby, who is possibly the most versatile and athletic defender in the history of WBB, is at the top of the list. Last night in the Huskies record tieing win, in addition to 11 pts & 7 assists, Gabby had 13 rbs, 4 blocks, 3 steals and one tremendous play diving into the bench to save the ball and start a fastbreak…when Uconn was up by 50. Gabby did all of that in exactly 21 minutes of playing time.

Gabby is the only player currently in WBB that can defend any one of the other team’s starting 5, regardless of position. She has been assigned to defend opponent’s posts, wings and guards. The Huskies always try to take away your number one offensive threat. For other teams that involves exotic box & 1’s, triangle & 2’s, zones and help defenses. All that UConn has to do is put Gabby on your number one offensive threat, and as Geno likes to say, “If Gabby guards you, you’re guarded.”

While Gabby leads the team in rebounds 8.3/g, steals 2.8/g and is 2nd in blocks 1.2/g, the real measure of her success is demonstrated by the abysmal shooting of the leading scorers that Gabby has locked down: Arike Ogunbowle (4/14 – 29%), Kelsey Mitchell (9/24 – 38%), Jessica Shepard (1/13 – 8%).

More than any other NPOY award, the DPOY award is based in large measure on REPUTATION. The ND game did as much to establish Gabby on the national stage as anyone could have hoped for, and she has been spectacular ever since. While she needs to stay out of foul trouble, particularly against other team’s bigs, her high-energy, all-over-the-court, ball-hawking defense is unparalleled.

Last night Geno described her as, “The Lawrence Taylor of women’s basketball.” He also said of opposing players, “You hope Gabby is not guarding you.”

It is a requirement that Gabby earn the AAC DPOY to be considered for the NDPOY award. If she does, she will be the 5th Husky in a row to earn the conference DPOY following in the footsteps of Ferris, Dolson, Stokes & Mo. Right now Gabby is the odds on pick for the AAC DPOY and, IMO the NDPOY as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I am the first to appreciate the great physical defense and impact Gabby has and I would think she would be a leading candidate for NDPOY (especially in this era where no one cares to play defense), I am even more impressed with the team positional and switching defense. Time after time, our players switched (or even in man to man) and beat the USF players to the spot (pretty good scouting). It was almost telepathic. The communication involved is stupendous (Gabby leads us in this) You could see the despair on USF as wave after wave of UConn players seemed to materialize from the baseboards and the blood drained from their faces. I have never enjoyed a game more.

Reaction Score
It was interesting how not one UConn player was mentioned as possible player of the year. Aja Wilson, Brianna Turner and Kelsey Mitchell. How about Gabby Williams, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and not one of ours - Kelsey Plum. How clueless are these announcers? What Coachman said on ESPN after the highlights was ignorant and repulsive. He should be fined and suspended. The worst backhanded compliment of all.

Reaction Score
It was interesting how not one UConn player was mentioned as possible player of the year. Aja Wilson, Brianna Turner and Kelsey Mitchell. How about Gabby Williams, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and not one of ours - Kelsey Plum. How clueless are these announcers? What Coachman said on ESPN after the highlights was ignorant and repulsive. He should be fined and suspended. The worst backhanded compliment of all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I noticed that to. Not mentioning at least one UConn player as well as Plum, who is leading the nation in scoring, shows me that the announcers were lazy and didn't do their research.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I am not sure which comment you are referring to and I for one would like you to enlighten us more.

On the other hand, on the top 10 countdown last night on SC, Lou's crazy off balance 2 finger assist was #10. The poor announcer looked like he was eating vinegar when having to describe it (poorly). That was followed by 6 or 7 oh ah dunks that all looked exactly the same.

Weird how the easiest shot in MBB gets the most credit. End of civilization coming. :(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There has been a mix of players that have won National DPOY. More often than not, the award has gone to shot-blocking, post players like Sylvia Fowles, Britney Griner (3), Steph Dolson & Elizabeth Williams. Last year it went to a lightning quick point guard who terrified opposing teams by picking their pockets and turning steals into a fast break layups at the other end of the court. We all know who that was.

While there are many fine defensive players around the country, I have to believe that Gabby, who is possibly the most versatile and athletic defender in the history of WBB, is at the top of the list. Last night in the Huskies record tieing win, in addition to 11 pts & 7 assists, Gabby had 13 rbs, 4 blocks, 3 steals and one tremendous play diving into the bench to save the ball and start a fastbreak…when Uconn was up by 50. Gabby did all of that in exactly 21 minutes of playing time.

Gabby is the only player currently in WBB that can defend any one of the other team’s starting 5, regardless of position. She has been assigned to defend opponent’s posts, wings and guards. The Huskies always try to take away your number one offensive threat. For other teams that involves exotic box & 1’s, triangle & 2’s, zones and help defenses. All that UConn has to do is put Gabby on your number one offensive threat, and as Geno likes to say, “If Gabby guards you, you’re guarded.”

While Gabby leads the team in rebounds 8.3/g, steals 2.8/g and is 2nd in blocks 1.2/g, the real measure of her success is demonstrated by the abysmal shooting of the leading scorers that Gabby has locked down: Arike Ogunbowle (4/14 – 29%), Kelsey Mitchell (9/24 – 38%), Jessica Shepard (1/13 – 8%).

More than any other NPOY award, the DPOY award is based in large measure on REPUTATION. The ND game did as much to establish Gabby on the national stage as anyone could have hoped for, and she has been spectacular ever since. While she needs to stay out of foul trouble, particularly against other team’s bigs, her high-energy, all-over-the-court, ball-hawking defense is unparalleled.

Last night Geno described her as, “The Lawrence Taylor of women’s basketball.” He also said of opposing players, “You hope Gabby is not guarding you.”

It is a requirement that Gabby earn the AAC DPOY to be considered for the NDPOY award. If she does, she will be the 5th Husky in a row to earn the conference DPOY following in the footsteps of Ferris, Dolson, Stokes & Mo. Right now Gabby is the odds on pick for the AAC DPOY and, IMO the NDPOY as well.
Dear @olddude,
So as to avoid future litigation for plagiarism I have sent you an invoice via separate correspondence. That Gabby will be the National DPOY was declared (in writing) during the ND game. :D

Gabby DPOY!.
The national DPOY is usually selected from the conference DPOY winners at the end of the season so Gabby should have that on lock also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dear @olddude,
So as to avoid future litigation for plagiarism I have sent you an invoice via separate correspondence. That Gabby will be the National DPOY was declared (in writing) during the ND game. :D

The national DPOY is usually selected from the conference DPOY winners at the end of the season so Gabby should have that on lock also.
CH, I know I'm a little late to the party. I hope you accept "bitcoins" as payment of your invoice. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting that Geno compared Gabby to Lawrence Taylor, because on the surface they have little in common. They play different sports and while Gabby appears to be a wonderful young lady off the court, let's just say that LT had some issues off the field.

Where they are similar is that they both posses incredible motors. They never take a play off and give 100% effort. They are also similar in their unique ability to dictate the outcome of a game from the defensive side of the ball. The only other basketball player that could regularly do that was legendary Celtic great Bill Russell, IMO.

Reaction Score
I am not sure which comment you are referring to and I for one would like you to enlighten us more.

On the other hand, on the top 10 countdown last night on SC, Lou's crazy off balance 2 finger assist was #10. The poor announcer looked like he was eating vinegar when having to describe it (poorly). That was followed by 6 or 7 oh ah dunks that all looked exactly the same.

Weird how the easiest shot in MBB gets the most credit. End of civilization coming. :(
Coachman and SVP showed some highlights from our game, stats from the streak, etc, all the while making gagging noises between each sound bite. Then Coachman basically repeated the Dan Shaunessey, "UConn is bad for the game" speech. I usually like SVP, but thought it was very disrespectful - more the tone of the presentation than Coachman's opinion, to which he is entitled.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting that Geno compared Gabby to Lawrence Taylor, because on the surface they have little in common. They play different sports and while Gabby appears to be a wonderful young lady off the court, let's just say that LT had some issues off the field.

Where they are similar is that they both posses incredible motors. They never take a play off and give 100% effort. They are also similar in their unique ability to dictate the outcome of a game from the defensive side of the ball. The only other basketball player that could regularly do that was legendary Celtic great Bill Russell, IMO.
LT's impact on football is best documented in the movie The Bindside and that impact is still pervasive today in that the most important (highest paid) offensive lineman on every NFL team is the left tackle-the one on the QB's "blindside". I don't think Gabby's impact will be as deep or long lasting because Gabby is one of a kind where as LT's was the first of many, Derrick Thomas & others followed.
I also want to point out that Gabby impact is not just on the defensive side of the ball because Gabby also leads the team in assists. Her impact is total and often fatal in that you can run the offense through her in the high post and this forces other teams to account for her in the high post. ND foolishly did not and that prove fatal. I am looking forward to one of the South Carolina bigs (Coates or Wilson) trying to check Gabby at the top of the key.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LT's impact on football is best documented in the movie The Bindside and that impact is still pervasive today in that the most important (highest paid) offensive lineman on every NFL team is the left tackle-the one on the QB's "blindside". I don't think Gabby's impact will be as deep or long lasting because Gabby is one of a kind where as LT's was the first of many, Derrick Thomas & others followed.
I also want to point out that Gabby impact is not just on the defensive side of the ball because Gabby also leads the team in assists. Her impact is total and often fatal in that you can run the offense through her in the high post and this forces other teams to account for her in the high post. ND foolishly did not and that prove fatal. I looking forward to one of the South Carolina bigs (Coates or Wilson) trying to check Gabby at the top of the key.
So you are saying that there are not a bunch of world class track stars that are also great basketball players, who every other WBB team is going to recruit? :)

ps - Blindside was also a great book by Michael Lewis.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I have to believe that Gabby, who is possibly the most versatile and athletic defender in the history of WBB, is at the top of the list. Last night in the Huskies record tieing win, in addition to 11 pts & 7 assists, Gabby had 13 rbs, 4 blocks, 3 steals and one tremendous play diving into the bench to save the ball and start a fastbreak…when Uconn was up by 50. Gabby did all of that in exactly 21 minutes of playing time.

*coughs* Alana Beard *coughs*

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
*coughs* Alana Beard *coughs*
When you watch every game someone plays, it's difficult to be objective, whether that someone is Alana Beard or Gabby Williams.

Don't get me wrong, Beard was a great player, but she never was asked to defend a 6'7" post player and she never won the NDPOY. Gabby has been asked to defend any of 5 positions on the floor, and she may leave college with 2 NDPOY's.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score

Gabby definitely deserves to be in consideration........But the voters seemingly always want to go with a BIG.
But is there a Big out there playing better overall defense than Gabby......Personally , I think Not.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, Beard was a great player, but she never was asked to defend a 6'7" post player and she never won the NDPOY. Gabby has been asked to defend any of 5 positions on the floor, and she may leave college with 2 NDPOY's.

With all due respect olddude, I have to take issue with a few of your statements.

First, Beard regular defended post players, due to being 5-11, but having a 6-4 wing span. Beard defended all five positions in college.

Second, Beard made the All-ACC Defensive team four times. It was not until after Beard graduated (2004) did the ACC even start naming an "ACC DPOY." The first time it was awarded was in 2005, the year after Beard graduated, to UNC's Nikita Bell (per the link regarding Nikita Bell "2004-05 Season Notes: In voting by the league's coaches, named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, a first-year award").

In addition, national DPOY awards were not handed out when she graduated, but were only starting to name a DPOY afterward. As an example, the WBCA DPOY was first awarded in 2007. And ESPN did not award a national DPOY back then, either. You cannot win an award that no one is presenting for a category that does not yet exist.

And this is all without mentioning Tamika Catchings, arguably one of the greatest defensive players in history of both the college and pro games. Catchings never won a DPOY award in college, because they were not handed out. And at 6-1, Catchings also defended every position, from point guard to center.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all due respect olddude, I have to take issue with a few of your statements.

First, Beard regular defended post players, due to being 5-11, but having a 6-4 wing span. Beard defended all five positions in college.

Second, Beard made the All-ACC Defensive team four times. It was not until after Beard graduated (2004) did the ACC even start naming an "ACC DPOY." The first time it was awarded was in 2005, the year after Beard graduated, to UNC's Nikita Bell (per the link regarding Nikita Bell "2004-05 Season Notes: In voting by the league's coaches, named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, a first-year award").

In addition, national DPOY awards were not handed out when she graduated, but were only starting to name a DPOY afterward. As an example, the WBCA DPOY was first awarded in 2007. And ESPN did not award a national DPOY back then, either. You cannot win an award that no one is presenting for a category that does not yet exist.

And this is all without mentioning Tamika Catchings, arguably one of the greatest defensive players in history of both the college and pro games. Catchings never won a DPOY award in college, because they were not handed out. And at 6-1, Catchings also defended every position, from point guard to center.
Well stated points. I knew the NDPOY was a relatively recent award, but had not realized that it was not in existence until after Beard's graduation, or that Beard defended post players, but as I said in my earlier post, I watch Gabby every game, and I personally have never seen a better or more athletic defender.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I would have been happier if they nominated the core four rather than any individual UConn players. Maybe they will towards the end of the season except nominate the core five if Saniya continues her recent play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What did Coachman say? No one should be surprised if Plum, Turner, Wilson & Mitchell are in the conversation for NPOY so let's get that out the way. No one should be surprised that KLS and Napheesa have played their way into the conversation for NPOY-ask Kara Lawson. I would not be surprised if Gabby, who has been terrific, is not in the conversation because she lags behind in the most significant stat which is PPG. To put that in perspective, Plum (31 PPG) is averaging almost 3 times as many PPG as Gabbby (11PPG).

Reaction Score

Alana Beard was a truly amazing player - no argument there. Don't think Gabby is quite ready for that comparison yet.

However, if this UConn team somehow played Alana's best Duke team, I wouldn't have any reservations about putting Gabby on Alana to shut/slow her down.

Reaction Score

Don't remember AB or TC defending the five. Did they do this against Uconn? Trying to remember who our centers were at the time. To me, GW is stronger and leaps higher quicker than either AB or TC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't remember AB or TC defending the five. Did they do this against Uconn? Trying to remember who our centers were at the time. To me, GW is stronger and leaps higher quicker than either AB or TC.

I see AB guarding DT but would Missie Bass have been guarding the 4 & 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom