Gabby Gets Homecoming Game In Nevada Next Year | The Boneyard

Gabby Gets Homecoming Game In Nevada Next Year

Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. -- Geno Auriemma admits he's been surprised by the breakout year that Gabby Williams has enjoyed with the University of Connecticut women's basketball team.

The Hall of Fame coach returned the favor last week, surprising the junior forward from Sparks, Nevada, by informing her that the Huskies had scheduled a homecoming game for her next season at the University of Nevada in Reno.

Untitled.jpg

"Coach told me and I didn't believe him at first because it just seemed crazy," Williams said Sunday. "I never thought that I would have an opportunity to play in Nevada during my career. I'm excited. My sister played there. My dad played there. Their coach is retiring but I know the staff and have friends on the team. It's so cool that all my friends and family from back home will get to see me play."

[LINK]

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For the record, Nevada was 5-13 in the Mountain West this year and 11-19 overall.

They did beat AAC foe Memphis.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sw-e-e-e-e-et!

Reaction Score
This game also finalizes next year's out-of-conference schedule. Looks like another ho-hum start for next year. :rolleyes:

The deal with Nevada means UConn's 13-game non-league schedule for 2017-18 is set. Eleven of the 13 teams advanced to the 2017 NCAA tournament -- going 10-1 in the first round -- while a 12th (Duquesne) received a WNIT bid. The Huskies will host California, Louisville, Maryland, and Notre Dame, visit DePaul, Nevada, Ohio State, South Carolina, Texas, and UCLA, and play neutral site games against Duquesne (in Toronto for a homecoming game for junior guard Kia Nurse), Michigan State (at Eugene, Oregon), and Oklahoma (at Mohegan Sun Arena).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
HAHAHAHAHA

from the article The UCLA game will be a homecoming for sophomore guard Katie Lou Samuelson, who grew up about 45 minutes from Pauley Pavilion in Huntington Beach, California.

Maybe at 2am with no construction on the road.

Reaction Score
This game also finalizes next year's out-of-conference schedule. Looks like another ho-hum start for next year. :rolleyes:

The deal with Nevada means UConn's 13-game non-league schedule for 2017-18 is set. Eleven of the 13 teams advanced to the 2017 NCAA tournament -- going 10-1 in the first round -- while a 12th (Duquesne) received a WNIT bid. The Huskies will host California, Louisville, Maryland, and Notre Dame, visit DePaul, Nevada, Ohio State, South Carolina, Texas, and UCLA, and play neutral site games against Duquesne (in Toronto for a homecoming game for junior guard Kia Nurse), Michigan State (at Eugene, Oregon), and Oklahoma (at Mohegan Sun Arena).

Jav. you da "Cro-Mag-Man"!!!

Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. -- Geno Auriemma admits he's been surprised by the breakout year that Gabby Williams has enjoyed with the University of Connecticut women's basketball team.

The Hall of Fame coach returned the favor last week, surprising the junior forward from Sparks, Nevada, by informing her that the Huskies had scheduled a homecoming game for her next season at the University of Nevada in Reno.

"Coach told me and I didn't believe him at first because it just seemed crazy," Williams said Sunday. "I never thought that I would have an opportunity to play in Nevada during my career. I'm excited. My sister played there. My dad played there. Their coach is retiring but I know the staff and have friends on the team. It's so cool that all my friends and family from back home will get to see me play."

[LINK]

Thanks for this ---thank U Nevada/Reno for being standup --and Geno for keeping with it to get this for Gabby--and us fans.
Thanks javaman!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it is either funny or rich or both that Adamec calls Mohegan Sun Arena (Oklahoma game) a neutral site!

Reaction Score
I think it is either funny or rich or both that Adamec calls Mohegan Sun Arena (Oklahoma game) a neutral site!
Officially, it is. Good journalists follow protocols, even on the sports desk.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Awesome news for Gabby. I'm thrilled that UConn and UNR were able to make this work for her. :)

I was a little surprised at the article's reference to next season's UCLA game as a "homecoming" for Lou. I thought that the homecoming game thing was something Geno tried to do during a player's senior season. I wonder if he'll try to put together another trip out west for the following year when she's a senior.

Reaction Score
Good for her. To get a chance to showcase her talents in front of family and friends.

I'm going to make an early prediction that Gabby gets a triple double :D.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Where was Tierney Lawler and Saniya Chong's Senior Homecoming Games this past season?
less than 2 hrs from HOME
gampel-pavilion.jpg

Reaction Score
I am going to do my best to make it out to that one!

I could see making the drive over from Salt Lake for the game since it will be about as close as it ever gets. Hmmmmm

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
hmmm. . . I have ridden my motorcycle to Vegas before - I hope the date is before it snows in the mountains

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

[LINK]

Kudos to everyone in both camps that worked out the logistics and the particulars to make this thing happen. No doubt the game will be sold out. This is great news!!!! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom