Gabby and Napheesa are #1, #2 or #3.... | The Boneyard

Gabby and Napheesa are #1, #2 or #3....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Gabby and Napheesa are both off to a great start in UConn’s first four games. They are #1, #2 or #3 in many statistical categories. Consider the following stats:

1. Gabby & Pheese are #1 and #2 in offensive rebounds with 12 and 10 respectively. Gabby is the leader on the team for total rebounds with 40. Collier is third with 29, only two behind Stewie.

2. Both are in the top three in free throws attempted. Gabby has 13 attempts and Collier has 11. Both have made 9 free throws. Stewie leads at 20-25.

3. Collier is #1 on the team with 11 steals, Gabby is tied for 2nd with 10.

4. Stewie leads the team with 14 blocked shots. Collier and Williams are tied for 2nd with 3 each.

5. Gabby is the only player on the team averaging a double-double with 11 pts and 10 rebounds per game. Napheesa averages 8.3 pts and 7.3 rebounds.

6. Collier is #1 in free throw % made with 81.8% (minimum 3 attempts). Gabby is at 69.2%.

7. Unfortunately, Gabby is #1 in personal fouls with 11. Collier is tied for 3rd with 6.

Gabby has been a great 5th starter, playing well, with energy and speed. Collier has been one of the first subs off the bench and looks like an upper classman with her poise and results.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gabby and Napheesa are both off to a great start in UConn’s first four games. They are #1, #2 or #3 in many statistical categories. Consider the following stats:

1. Gabby & Pheese are #1 and #2 in offensive rebounds with 12 and 10 respectively. Gabby is the leader on the team for total rebounds with 40. Collier is third with 29, only two behind Stewie.

2. Both are in the top three in free throws attempted. Gabby has 13 attempts and Collier has 11. Both have made 9 free throws. Stewie leads at 20-25.

4. Stewie leads the team with 14 blocked shots. Collier and Williams are tied for 2nd with 3 each.

5. Gabby is the only player on the team averaging a double-double with 11 pts and 10 rebounds per game. Napheesa averages 8.3 pts and 7.3 assists.

6. Collier is #1 in free throw % made with 81.8% (minimum 3 attempts). Gabby is at 69.2%.

7. Unfortunately, Gabby is #1 in personal fouls with 11. Collier is tied for 3rd with 6.

Gabby has been a great 5th starter, playing well, with energy and speed. Collier has been one of the first subs off the bench and looks like an upper classman with her poise and results.

Go Huskies..!!

A "collier" is a coal miner, the folks doing the down and dirty work.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

5. Gabby is the only player on the team averaging a double-double with 11 pts and 10 rebounds per game. Napheesa averages 8.3 pts and 7.3 assists.

Go Huskies..!!

Thanks Dave, a great post. I guess the question of who the 5th starter will be has been answered. Gabby has played well as a starter. You can't argue with a player's production when they are averaging a "double-double".

It's almost impossible to sit down that type of nightly production. Collier is still finding her "sea-legs". In the mean time, she is playing well, and continues to impress.
I put on the turban and cape for this one: both Williams and Collier will have their "breakout" games very soon. You can see it coming. The more they play, they more the game slows down for them.

Gabby has already said that this year in an interview, she knows the plays, and she knows what she's doing, and knows what she is supposed to do. That means Geno and staff can now trust her, and is probably why she is starting. I'm predicting that both of these young ladies will have their respective breakout games before February 1, 2016. Breakout game = 25 points / 15 rebounds......and of course a team win. ;)

Reaction Score
Although this will probably moderate as her career matures, I suspect that Gabby, who plays defense with pure aggression, will likely always be the leader in personal fouls committed... and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'd hate to see her defensive game be too handcuffed by worrying too much about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that's rebounds. Those two are cleaning the glass.

windex_original.jpg

Reaction Score
Good question about Muffett. As I remember, the Irish regularly went to the foul line more than we did during the Diggins years. Perhaps that was due to good coaching, not the abysmal officiating that I condemned.

Reaction Score
Given that it looks like two of ND's best players are injured and will be limited at best, I think they will have to.

Reaction Score
Thanks Dave, a great post. I guess the question of who the 5th starter will be has been answered. Gabby has played well as a starter. You can't argue with a player's production when they are averaging a "double-double".

It's almost impossible to sit down that type of nightly production. Collier is still finding her "sea-legs". In the mean time, she is playing well, and continues to impress.
I put on the turban and cape for this one: both Williams and Collier will have their "breakout" games very soon. You can see it coming. The more they play, they more the game slows down for them.

Gabby has already said that this year in an interview, she knows the plays, and she knows what she's doing, and knows what she is supposed to do. That means Geno and staff can now trust her, and is probably why she is starting. I'm predicting that both of these young ladies will have their respective breakout games before February 1, 2016. Breakout game = 25 points / 15 rebounds.and of course a team win. ;)

Predicting the future is a daunting business, great Carnac ;) And your Dec.1 observations on the 'fifth starter" and the 'breakout' game have collided. After Napheesa's fine start against FSU, the "fifth starter" question appears to be more up-in-the-air than ever before. Is it now Napheesa's to lose, or will Gabby be back in that spot next game? As for "Collier's breakout game very soon," well your prediction was exactly on target!

So who starts vs. LSU, Napheesa or Gabby? Napheesa, no? (BTW why did Gabby lose her starting spot vs. Colgate in the first place?)

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think she lost it against FSU, if I'm not mistaken. The announcers said something about Geno wanting her energy off the bench. Makes sense, really. Collier is more of an offensive threat from outside of 2 feet, and Gabby brings defensive energy and rebounding right when the opponent is starting to get tired. Wouldn't be surprised if he tries KLS there when she gets healthier.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think she lost it against FSU, if I'm not mistaken. The announcers said something about Geno wanting her energy off the bench. Makes sense, really. Collier is more of an offensive threat from outside of 2 feet, and Gabby brings defensive energy and rebounding right when the opponent is starting to get tired. Wouldn't be surprised if he tries KLS there when she gets healthier.
In the Colgate game Gabby started, but did not start the second half - I think that was the first indication that Geno was contemplating a change and what HR was referring to.

Reaction Score
Given what Geno said about the combined stats of Gabby and Napheesa, this conversation seems moot. I know that 6th man isn't a starter, but this discussion brings Ashley Battle to mind. What a huge difference she made, time after time, roaring into a game. IMO, she was a starter even if she wasn't one of the first five.

Reaction Score
Although Gabby is clearly a very raw talent, I have been a vocal proponent of her great athleticism, and of the explosiveness that she brings to the floor. I often predicted that she would become the fifth starter, irrespective of the health of other possible candidates. Having said that, during those many months when several of us were engaging in avid speculation about how Geno was going to manage the felicitous problem of apportioning floor time for the upcoming season, given all the talent he had at his disposal, Napheesa's name came up persistently. For many of us who had seen broadcasts of her play over the summer, there was lots of mutual commentary about her apparent college-readiness, and about the difficulty the coach would likely encounter keeping her on the bench. I now think that this was an understatement. Observing her emerging game, her clearly growing confidence, and her rapidly expanding "fit" into the offensive flow of things, I now feel that is unlikely that anyone will successfully dislodge her from the starting five. Hope there's plenty of real estate up on that Husky Wall of Honor. This kid's headed there!

Reaction Score
Although Gabby is clearly a very raw talent, I have been a vocal proponent of her great athleticism, and of the explosiveness that she brings to the floor. I often predicted that she would become the fifth starter, irrespective of the health of other possible candidates. Having said that, during those many months when several of us were engaging in avid speculation about how Geno was going to manage the felicitous problem of apportioning floor time for the upcoming season, given all the talent he had at his disposal, Napheesa's name came up persistently. For many of us who had seen broadcasts of her play over the summer, there was lots of mutual commentary about her apparent college-readiness, and about the difficulty the coach would likely encounter keeping her on the bench. I now think that this was an understatement. Observing her emerging game, her clearly growing confidence, and her rapidly expanding "fit" into the offensive flow of things, I now feel that is unlikely that anyone will successfully dislodge her from the starting five. Hope there's plenty of real estate up on that Husky Wall of Honor. This kid's headed there!
ICAM, to see Collier navigate through her freshman season so impressively suggests that in this program with this coach she is headed for Husky stardom. Her game is very complete for a freshman. Geno moving Gabby to the bench and Collier to the starting five shows what a great coach he is, this is not a no brainer move. Gabby leads the team in double/doubles and her play would warrant a starting spot, most coaches would never would have made that move. But Gabby is more of a weapon coming off the bench going against tired starters or the other teams subs, her athleticism would be a ton for the opposition to worry about in that scenario. Also she is less likely to get in foul trouble. Collier even though a freshman has a more polished offensive game, which would force the opposing team to have to guard all 5 spots... In Geno we trust...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Good question about Muffett. As I remember, the Irish regularly went to the foul line more than we did during the Diggins years. Perhaps that was due to good coaching, not the abysmal officiating that I condemned.
It was a combination. They would run into traffic, flailing up shots when there was no where to go and get the calls every time- every time.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
You are right- she still is getting a lot of direction from the coach and the other 4 on offensive sets. Having said that, she has a feel for the game, with her talent that can't be taught. Smooth as silk. Soft mid range shooter. Swallows rebounds and glides around the floor!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Gabby has the intangibles of the 6th player he always likes to have coming off the bench- she is made for that role and would play the same minutes either way.

Reaction Score
Go Huskies..!!

Thanks for posting these stats. I find Collier's foul shooting technique interesting. She doesn't spin the ball while getting ready to shoot and never takes even a single bounce. Just aims and fires.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You are right- she still is getting a lot of direction from the coach and the other 4 on offensive sets. Having said that, she has a feel for the game, with her talent that can't be taught. Smooth as silk. Soft mid range shooter. Swallows rebounds and glides around the floor!
Glad you said that. That's a player she reminds me of: Jamaal (Keith) Wilkes of UCLA and NBA fame. I believe his nickname was "Silk." He was long, could play every facet of the game well, and always seemed to make the right play.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
ICAM, to see Collier navigate through her freshman season so impressively suggests that in this program with this coach she is headed for Husky stardom. Her game is very complete for a freshman. Geno moving Gabby to the bench and Collier to the starting five shows what a great coach he is, this is not a no brainer move. Gabby leads the team in double/doubles and her play would warrant a starting spot, most coaches would never would have made that move. But Gabby is more of a weapon coming off the bench going against tired starters or the other teams subs, her athleticism would be a ton for the opposition to worry about in that scenario. Also she is less likely to get in foul trouble. Collier even though a freshman has a more polished offensive game, which would force the opposing team to have to guard all 5 spots... In Geno we trust...
I like Geno's move, but as things start to settle, many adjustments have to be made when the disabled players begin their play. Sometimes, too many players are a problem. It will be interesting when the full squad is ready. I hope things are in order by the time the South Carolina game arrives, and everyone's roles are established.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Glad you said that. That's a player she reminds me of: Jamaal (Keith) Wilkes of UCLA and NBA fame. I believe his nickname was "Silk." He was long, could play every facet of the game well, and always seemed to make the right play.
Smooth as Silk- Keith Wilkes. She's reminded me of him and his nickname from the beginning- I'm so glad u noted that- that is too funny!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Predicting the future is a daunting business, great Carnac ;) And your Dec.1 observations on the 'fifth starter" and the 'breakout' game have collided. After Napheesa's fine start against FSU, the "fifth starter" question appears to be more up-in-the-air than ever before. Is it now Napheesa's to lose, or will Gabby be back in that spot next game? As for "Collier's breakout game very soon," well your prediction was exactly on target!

So who starts vs. LSU, Napheesa or Gabby? Napheesa, no? (BTW why did Gabby lose her starting spot vs. Colgate in the first place?)

Huskies, NO ONE could have seen the circumstances that have manifested within the program a month ago.
During the summer, it was good fodder to try and predict who would be the 5th starter this season. When Natalie injured her thumb requiring her to sit out until after Christmas, then the focus turned elsewhere.

I was guessing like everyone else. Even Geno doesn't know who's going to be the fifth starter start the next game until the day before. We're still trying to figure out why / how Gabby lost her starting spot. KLS started a game, then Collier started a game. How were we suppose to see that coming?

Right now, the 5th starting position appears to be a revolving door. Whoever is doing well in practice, and impresses Geno the most, gets the start.

I read somewhere recently that Gabby was having some minor confidence issues. I don't know if it's true or not. She's also having trouble staying on the floor (foul prone). Her last start, she got 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. Don't think I'm hating on Gabby. Nay I say......she's one of my favorites.

She said in a recent article that this season, she knows the plays, and she now knows what she is doing. If Gabby can stop fouling, and stay in the game, she CAN produce a "double-double" every night.

We've yet to see Butler take the floor. She was the cat's meow at Georgetown during her freshman year. She's a year older now. She has worked out with the team for a year, and she has learned how to play basketball the UConn way. We can't wait to see her. If she produces as expected, she just may become the 5th starter. Geno is still looking for one.

To answer your question of who starts Gabby or Napheesa, I'd say Collier. BUT, things could change during this 9 day break. Whatever issues Gabby may have been having may have been corrected. Gabby does bring a certain dynamic to the floor that Napheesa does not. I like them both, but they are two different players with different skill sets.

Gabby is a better rebounder, and she's much better at finishing under the basket, while Collier is a better "mid-range" shooter, and does not foul as much, thus she can stay on the floor longer right now.

All of these dynamics are fluid, and are subject to change. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member