Gabbie Williams Comparison | The Boneyard

Gabbie Williams Comparison

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wow, that takes me back many, many, many years. I totally agree with your analysis, although Oscar was considered a tall point guard at the time he was playing at Cincinnati. I don't think too many people equate Gabby as a tall post player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those old enough to remember him, Gabby Williams reminds me of Oscar Robertson. A player who can score, pass, rebound and play defense against anyone.
I remember (unfortunately) and agree.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For those old enough to remember him, Gabby Williams reminds me of Oscar Robertson. A player who can score, pass, rebound and play defense against anyone.
The Big 'O'!!!

Reaction Score
She actually reminds me more of Elgin Baylor - he was an "undersized" scoring forward who could "hang" in the air and score.

He was acrobatic with plenty of moves - our Gabby is essentially in that mold too. :D:D

Reaction Score
IIRC, the Big O averaged a triple double for one of those years in Cincinnati.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of meeting and shaking hands with Robinson. That man has some huge hands. He was very pleasant. :)

Reaction Score
Sorry but don't agree with that comparison as Oscar Robertson was a very good shooter and one of the greatest NBA players of all time.
The comparison to Elgin Baylor (also one of the games greats) is closer in how they played.
Gabby is a unique amazing talent but it is still a bit early to know if it translates to the same skill level in the pros.
She brings something to wcbb not often seen before and probably not too often again.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I love comparisons. I do not see the Big O comparison though. Elgin better. (He was an acrobat. IMO Gabby more of a "lunch pail guy".
Firstly, what I do is add 6 inches to the women in order to compare. So, for example, Pheesa 6'7" (could she develop into a shorter Kevin McHale), Lou 6'10" (no wonder she's a matchup nightmare, Kia 6'7" (how about a Klay Thompson comparison) and Gabby 6'5".
Here's mine for Gabby- Ben Simmons or even Magic Johnson. Remember she has a background of being a primary ball-handler. All three of them are slashers to the hoop, great passers, and rebounders. (Gabby-better defender?) Magic revolutionized the defensive board, no outlet, just take it down the middle, numbers, score. "Showtime". Bad memories for a Celtic Fan like me.
She can develop her J, just like Magic did and I'm sure Ben will do. BTW IMO the form on her J is good- elbow in, position of her hands. Could use her legs more and needs to stay with the shot longer, kind of "short arms it". Watch Steph Curry's follow through. WNBA: Put her in the backcourt, defend the opponents best non-center, dribble off rebound, watch her slash to the basket. Better not back off her, cause she's gunna learn to hit that shot! (if it happens this year- #12- no jinx, I just knocked on wood)
Go Huskies! Gabby my favorite player!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She actually reminds me more of Elgin Baylor - he was an "undersized" scoring forward who could "hang" in the air and score.

He was acrobatic with plenty of moves - our Gabby is essentially in that mold too. :D:D
He brought some moves to the game people had not seen before.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For all of his athleticism O was smooth. His dribble, his finish, his passes, but most of all from 15 to 20 his shot was budder. No, to me, as someone else said previously, she reminds me of Dr J. His shot outside 15 was questionable, but in reality J was about 6'6" tops. He could jump out the building on one foot, was just a terror in transition, and around the basket was one of the great finishers. Sound familiar? Now if she improves her handle and her shot, and settles in the WNBA as a 2 she will be a holy, unmanageable, terror.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom