G5 Top 25 Poll Coming in 2024 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

G5 Top 25 Poll Coming in 2024

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The one thing we control is the product on the field. If we win, we will be OK.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Retrograde thinking like this holds back the university. Are you even a fan of UConn?

Yawn. Just repeating my posts back to me is lazy and stupid trolling.

I really handed you your ass on the House case. I can not think of another time a poster took such a strong position that was immediately shoved right in his face. Even the other non-UConn troll is pretending he was talking about something else instead of House when he attacked my analysis of that case. But here you are just leading with your chin.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Why would the G5 propose this? It sounds like a threat to me. If the G5, which is mostly losing money hand over fist before NIL, pulls out of D1, the addressable market for the P4 and CFP takes a big hit, which hurts the major schools.
I think there maybe legs to this and it all depends on the numbers, the most important being what the final tally of PWhatevers is, thus determining who and how many constitute the G5. This in turn will dictate whether the viewership for the G5 reaches the critical threshold where it's media value materially benefits the G5 and hurts the PWhatever. If it does it becomes a kind of NFL-AFL situation, which would hold my interest. If not, and it's just the latest version of FBS-FCS, Div. 1a - Div. 1aa, etc... ,then nope, not interested. Nothing to do with ego- just not very interesting.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If they want to self-relegate, at least come up with a name not as derogatory as Group of 5. How about Real College Football Division.
FIFY

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there maybe legs to this and it all depends on the numbers, the most important being what the final tally of PWhatevers is, thus determining who and how many constitute the G5. This in turn will dictate whether the viewership for the G5 reaches the critical threshold where it's media value materially benefits the G5 and hurts the PWhatever. If it does it becomes a kind of NFL-AFL situation, which would hold my interest. If not, and it's just the latest version of FBS-FCS, Div. 1a - Div. 1aa, etc... ,then nope, not interested. Nothing to do with ego- just not very interesting.

There is little financial incentive for the G5 to continue to compete at the highest level without a healthy revenue share in the CFP. The P5 could tell the G5 to pound sand, but that could significantly shrink the addressable market the P5 has, because as more fans stop watching, it reduces overall fan interest even among the P5's own fanbase. The more this looks like a minor league of 35-45 schools, the more it will get treated like a minor league by the fans.

Reaction Score
Too bad College Football doesn't have a relegation system in place like they do in the English Soccer system.

Start out with 6 tiers: P2 schools (SEC, Big 10), P3 & 4 schools (ACC, Big 12), G5, FCS, Div II and Div III

Let them play it out and move up/down accordingly. It will never happen, but it would be fun to watch.
Unfortunately it not about competition it’s about money . Keeping the club smaller and tighter.

Reaction Score
In the 2023 AP Final Top 25, Liberty was the school, not in this year's P4, to make the Poll...at #25

In the 2022 AP Final...there was Tulane, Troy, and Fresno State

2021...Louisiana, Utah State, San Diego State
In the 2023 poll, SMU was #22.

Reaction Score
How is this any different from the mid-major top 10/25 that ESPN publishes during BB season?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is this any different from the mid-major top 10/25 that ESPN publishes during BB season?
Branding?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I mean, people are up in arms about this, and yet it's basically already existed on the BB side. What's the difference?
The difference is that all mid major conference champions and a handful of non champions are in the basketball tournament every year. One school from all participants that are deemed mid-major will be allowed to participate in the football tournament.

Reaction Score
The difference is that all mid major conference champions and a handful of non champions are in the basketball tournament every year. One school from all participants that are deemed mid-major will be allowed to participate in the football tournament.
that is true whether or not this poll exists

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
that is true whether or not this poll exists
In the NCAA basketball tournament, non P level schools comprise approximately 50% of the participants and there are many recent cases where a G level school made a run to the finals. In the upcoming CFP, G level schools will have 1/6 the representation that they have in the men's basketball tournament and will have the odds stacked against them to advance out of the first round. The segregation/isolation that can come from publicizing a G level ranking could easily be step one in removing G level schools from the CFP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom